Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: melting glaciers and thawing permafrost releasing methane

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Default melting glaciers and thawing permafrost releasing methane

more methane is being released as the planet warms causing more global warming - bad feedback, as we get warmer we get more greenhouse gases

http://news.yahoo.com/study-finds-pe...034657239.html
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    more methane is being released as the planet warms causing more global warming - bad feedback, as we get warmer we get more greenhouse gases

http://news.yahoo.com/study-finds-pe...034657239.html
    Are you vegetarian or do you eat beef? Cattle produce vast amounts of methane which could be alleviated by modifying their diet or more people foregoing the eating of red meats. By the way, methane although a far more potent greenhouse gas, up to 120 times that of CO2, is also short lived in the atmosphere lasting no more than a decade at most.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

The Dude (05-23-2012)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,168 Times in 33,866 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    Are you vegetarian or do you eat beef? Cattle produce vast amounts of methane which could be alleviated by modifying their diet or more people foregoing the eating of red meats. By the way, methane although a far more potent greenhouse gas, up to 120 times that of CO2, is also short lived in the atmosphere lasting no more than a decade at most.
    I now have red meat once a month. I had a lovely piece of Copper River salmon last night.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's really weird, cutting back on meat is the single best thing you can do for the environment, but no one wants to do it. Do you know what a difference could be made if people even sacrificed tearing into flesh for weekdays only? I guess that is too much to ask, but even if they decided to cut their meat take in half, it would be huge.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    It's really weird, cutting back on meat is the single best thing you can do for the environment, but no one wants to do it. Do you know what a difference could be made if people even sacrificed tearing into flesh for weekdays only? I guess that is too much to ask, but even if they decided to cut their meat take in half, it would be huge.
    It would on so many levels, not only help the air, but would make more farmland available! It would be really rich too, from all the cow poop!

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There is a huge permafrost melting happening in Anchorage. It use to be that in order o build they would have to thaw the ground, even in summer, that was back in the 70's when I first moved here. The dead had to be held in the funeral homes in a freezer until Spring, so they could be buried when a hole could be dug. It isn't that way anymore. They built a duplex on the block over this winter, dug the hole, raised the roof. Permafrost is not a problem now. We do still have ice cold tap water year round! I hope that never changes. I hate to go to the lower 48, the water down there sucks!

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    i eat small amounts of red meat periodically (do not drink beer)

however, what if the methane keeps being replenished - it seems to be that once the melting cycle is started, it becomes self renewing if not accelerated
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 729 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 152 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    There is a huge permafrost melting happening in Anchorage. It use to be that in order o build they would have to thaw the ground, even in summer, that was back in the 70's when I first moved here. The dead had to be held in the funeral homes in a freezer until Spring, so they could be buried when a hole could be dug. It isn't that way anymore. They built a duplex on the block over this winter, dug the hole, raised the roof. Permafrost is not a problem now. We do still have ice cold tap water year round! I hope that never changes. I hate to go to the lower 48, the water down there sucks!
    If you listen to the right this isn't happening, there is no global warming. So who should we believe, Faux 'news' and all of its big oil sponsored minions or our own lying eyes?
    War Is Peace
    Freedom Is Slavery
    Ignorance Is Strength

George Orwell

10. The Following 3 Users Groan At Crashk For This Awful Post:

Callinectes (05-23-2012), NOVA (05-22-2012), The Dude (05-23-2012)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crashk For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-22-2012)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crashk View Post
    If you listen to the right this isn't happening, there is no global warming. So who should we believe, Faux 'news' and all of its big oil sponsored minions or our own lying eyes?
    nice strawman, idiot. The only question is how much forcing is caused by anthropogenic CO2. And it's gotten really old to have to point out that warmers continually conflate the issues. LOL @ you

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    nice strawman, idiot. The only question is how much forcing is caused by anthropogenic CO2. And it's gotten really old to have to point out that warmers continually conflate the issues. LOL @ you
    the reality is that co2 is a greenhouse gas and that mankind is dumping more co2 into the biosphere than before any point in history

can you really think that adding this much co2 to the biosphere will have no effect

besides, this post is about methane not co2

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Smaller steps. One day a week would have a large impact.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-22-2012)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

The Dude (05-23-2012), tinfoil (05-22-2012)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Smaller steps. One day a week would have a large impact.
    I disagree.
    If more people would eat more red meat, it would reduce the amount of cattle and therefore the amount of gases released.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    volcanic methane would degrade over a decade, whereas methane being released by melting glaciers and permafrost will last longer because it is being refreshed

however, how does that relate to the op
    I just posted an OP, to reply to your OP.
    Don't OP's cancel each other out?
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.