Members banned from this thread: RockX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sopranos end

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    Like a handful of the very best television shows, The Sopranos qualifies as art, I think. There's real substance to it. And, like any serious art, it's not going to appeal to everyone.

I'm a bit impressed that something so comparatively difficult and rough edged became so popular. That's a rare combination: most of the best shows on television have only niche audiences.
    One of these days I'll catch it on dvd.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have to say, I haven't been to impressed with Sopranos. I only started watching the last season a) because it was on demand b) it was ending and everyone was talking about it c) all my other shows ended.

As far as cable series go, I think it was ok. Dexter is by far better on so many levels.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    I have to say, I haven't been to impressed with Sopranos. I only started watching the last season a) because it was on demand b) it was ending and everyone was talking about it c) all my other shows ended.

As far as cable series go, I think it was ok. Dexter is by far better on so many levels.
    The first two seasons are the only good ones. After that they progressively added the suck until it was a silly soap opera with shrinks and divorce the main attributes of the plot line.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Dexter was way better, The Shield is better, The Wire is better.

The Sopranos was superb for the first 4 seasons after that it was still better than average except for last season.

I watched that John from Cincinatti show and it looks promising. Gonna keep watching it but I can't wait till Dexter and Weeds comes back.
    * Annoy a Republican, think for yourself.
    * Annoy a Democrat, support yourself.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Maybe they should have stopped the sopranos a few seasons ago then.

I just started watching the wire. I'm up to season three and I think its great. I haven't seen the Shield, but I do like Weeds as well. Soprano's was pretty far down on my list. I thought Carnivale was one of their best shows of all time.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Tony dies.

I was reading the HBO forms on the Sopranos, and one of the posters there hit it on the head.

Tony and Bobby in the boat, Bobby says something to the effect that when you get killed, you don't see it coming, you just go to black.

Tony flashes back to that scene at the end of the second to last episode as he's lying down in the safe house with his gun.

Final scene. Tony walks into the diner, it shows his face, then his point of view. He puts on the song. The bell dings, it shows his face, then his point of view, ie Carmela walking into the cafe. The bell dings it shows his face, then his point of view again, AJ walking in. There's a lot of threes in this scene as well. 3 pictures in the background, three cokes, three onion rings, three clips of the ominous guy at the counter. Then it shows Meadow approaching the diner. The bell dings for the third time, it shows Tony's face, then everything goes black. He gets whacked.

What a freaking cool way to do it.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I liked the ending before, but your assessment made me like it even better.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I like it precisely because there's absolutely no way to pin a definitive interpretation on it. He really has left it up to our imaginations, and he's steadfastly refusing to elaborate.

I read the same analysis as Beefy -- it was reprinted in the San Francisco Chronicle -- but don't personally find it convincing. I think it's more likely that Tony would, if the series continued, end up in prison.

"A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

I liked the ending before, but your assessment made me like it even better.
    The more I think about it, the more I realize that this was the perfect way to end the series. So much symbolism and foreshadowing, and then "Dont Stop" and black. Shiver me timbers, I like this David Chase.

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    I like it precisely because there's absolutely no way to pin a definitive interpretation on it. He really has left it up to our imaginations, and he's steadfastly refusing to elaborate.

I read the same analysis as Beefy -- it was reprinted in the San Francisco Chronicle -- but don't personally find it convincing. I think it's more likely that Tony would, if the series continued, end up in prison.

All the elements are there for a whacking, and that's part of the brilliance of it. It down't show it. It does leave it open, and I say he gets whacked. That's the final word old pal.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And here I thought this was over. A&E is running reruns
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Going to dredge this up as I just finished the series on DVD. I ain't paying for HBO.

He flashes back to the scene on the boat because that's were he got the gun (AR-10) he was carrying and they mention the gun in the flashback. May, well have been for that dual purpose.

I would be happy to think he got killed, so long as his family made it out. He deserved it.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Further, I thought the whole series was outstanding. The final season wraps up nicely the notion that was created from the very beginning that Tony is just like anybody else, trying to make a living, he has issues with his wife, kids, mommy, hurts and feelings, waaa... waaa... waaa... he just happens to be in the mob. Mobsters are no different than the rest of us is the way it started.

BS. He's a sociopath, a scumbag and the world would be better off without him.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Please tell me more

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One of my favorite scenes. It ends rather bad for Christopher.

<[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-P-HWubbI"]YouTube - Christophers Intervention[/ame]
    I always liked the eternally conflicted Carmella. Always concerned about projecting the ideal of respectable mother and Catholic, while her husband is out robbing, pillaging and philandering.
    Last edited by Said1; 02-03-2009 at 08:17 PM.