Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republican Science (aka, Creationism) on Display: A tour of the "Creation Museum"

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,637 Times in 27,298 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default Republican Science (aka, Creationism) on Display: A tour of the "Creation Museum"

The $27 million Creation Museum in Ohio is a fabulous testament to Republican science.

Here, you can gaze in wonder at displays of Adam and Eve's children, happily frolicking with friendly dinosaurs. You can learn how the earth was created in six days, a mere six thousand years ago. Enrich your mind, by learning how coal is formed in a few weeks, not over the course of millions of years.

I don't know about you - but, I don't mind being the laughing stock of the planet; a scientific backwater of the western world. All I can do, is praise Jesus for giving us this wonderful educational treasure:

Outside the museum scientists may assert that the universe is billions of years old, that fossils are the remains of animals living hundreds of millions of years ago, and that life’s diversity is the result of evolution by natural selection. But inside the museum the Earth is barely 6,000 years old, dinosaurs were created on the sixth day, and Jesus is the savior who will one day repair the trauma of man’s fall.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/05/24/arts/24crea.html
    There were posters explaining just how coal could be formed in a few weeks as opposed to over millions of years, and how rapidly the biblical flood would cover the earth, drowning all but a handful of living creatures. The flood plays a big part in the museum's attempt to explain away what we see as millions of years of natural processes. There was also an explanation as to why, with only one progenitor family, it wasn't considered incest for Adam and Eve's children to marry each other. Apparently there was less sin back then, and therefore fewer mutations in their DNA. Evidently sin, and not two copies of the same recessive trait, gives rise to congenital birth defects.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...ion-museum.ars

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now the fundies can take their children to the creation museum vs Kings Island
    I am sure the kids will love that. And of course there is all the mandatory church trips to the "museum"...And I am sure all the religious schools will have a class trip up there. It should do well finiancially for a couple of years....
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You really feel torn between laughing and crying when you read this.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    You really feel torn between laughing and crying when you read this.

Crying? You mean crying from the sheer joy of seeing the Lord's work on display.

Have we progressed much at all, from the Scopes monkey trials? Honestly, this is really embarrassing. I can see european and asian tourists coming to this thing and laughing their asses off......

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Crying? You mean crying from the sheer joy of seeing the Lord's work on display.

Have we progressed much at all, from the Scopes monkey trials? Honestly, this is really embarrassing. I can see european and asian tourists coming to this thing and laughing their asses off......
    I feel really sorry for the kids. It's not their fault they got born to a couple of low-iq'd, religious whackos. And they are going to be growing up as idiots. It's sad.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Now the fundies can take their children to the creation museum vs Kings Island
    I am sure the kids will love that. And of course there is all the mandatory church trips to the "museum"...And I am sure all the religious schools will have a class trip up there. It should do well finiancially for a couple of years....

Right. With all the fundies scrambling to see this museum, I think it will be outdrawing the Smithsonian museums.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And they based this thing on a scientific statement that DNA would only last 6,000 years or somesuch. Therefore the world can only be that old.
    Of course all the carbon dating is just junk. Well unless the Christians are using it to validate a religious artiffact
    Cherrypickers all.
    Proving tax cuts work!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was watching Chris Matthews interview Tom Delay yesterday and he is among those who does not accept evolution.

Laughable.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is already a stink here in KY about churches wanting public schools to send children there on field trips, of course paid for by our tax dollars....
    Proving tax cuts work!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    It is already a stink here in KY about churches wanting public schools to send children there on field trips, of course paid for by our tax dollars....
    Hmmm... The story is in NYC they sent the kids to a Mosque to be read to from the Koran by the Mullah. Would you think that was okay?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Hmmm... The story is in NYC they sent the kids to a Mosque to be read to from the Koran by the Mullah. Would you think that was okay?
    Nope, not ok. I think religion is a fmaily personal thing and should not be included in the public education system at all except in a world historical context.

btw Bushies boy Gov Fletcher is so estatic about the "museum" that he is gushing and blubbering about it. He might buy it and make it a state park.
    Proving tax cuts work!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I see a difference between teaching students about being aware of religions and instructing them in a religion.

I'm glad I'm homeschooling my children. We can take them on field trips to churches, mosques, synogogues, and temples as part of our studies on world religion unfettered by regulations.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGovernment View Post
    I was watching Chris Matthews interview Tom Delay yesterday and he is among those who does not accept evolution.

Laughable.

There's at least three republican presidential candidates who do not accept evolution

In addition, I believe most of the rest of them agree that creationism could be taught in public schools.

What is this? The 14th century? This is Taliban crap

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Depends on what context it's in.

Is it a science education field trip? Then no, religious interpretations of creation from either the bible or koran are unacceptable as part of a public school science curriculum.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Depends on what context it's in.

Is it a science education field trip? Then no, religious interpretations of creation from either the bible or koran are unacceptable as part of a public school science curriculum.
    "Diversity" was the context. Which I wouldn't mind so long as there was actual diversity in the education, go to churches, temples, synagogues, etc. Give a real sample of things. Instead they had "problems" finding a church willing to let students go to?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle