Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennessee's Creationism Bill: Why Are We Still Fighting Over Evolution?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 276 Times in 251 Posts

Default Tennessee's Creationism Bill: Why Are We Still Fighting Over Evolution?

Lawmakers in Tennessee have passed a controversial new bill that would require the state’s teachers to allow discussion of creationism alongside evolution in science class. Though the bill was opposed by the governor, the ACLU, and the state’s largest teacher’s association, it nonetheless passed by a wide margin. Why has evolution suddenly reemerged as a hot-button cultural issue?

According to survey data from Pew and Gallup, the controversy over evolution never really went away. A 2010 Gallup poll showed that forty percent of Americans still believe in “strict creationism”—the idea that God created humans in their present form. A slightly smaller number believed that humans evolved with God’s guidance, and only sixteen percent believed humans evolved without God playing a role in the process. Pew’s polling, which breaks down responses by age, has shown that slightly less than half of all Americans say evolution is “the best explanation for human life.” Respondents older than 65 are least likely to agree with that statement (in 2010, only 40 percent did), and even among the youngest group (respondents aged 18-29), the number is just 55 percent. Among religious groups, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, and the unaffiliated are most likely to accept evolution, but slightly more than half of Catholics and mainline Protestants do as well. Too bad more of them don’t serve in the Tennessee state legislature.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-study/10...over-evolution

Here we have well-educated biology teachers who will be forced to entertain the notion that God created everything a few thousand years ago, despite the overwhelming evidence that all life on earth shares a common ancestor, and that the earth is at least 4 billion years old.

There is no evidence for or against God. It is untestable. Therefore, God has no place in the science classroom. Why is this so difficult for these religious extremists to understand?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Lawmakers in Tennessee have passed a controversial new bill that would require the state’s teachers to allow discussion of creationism alongside evolution in science class. Though the bill was opposed by the governor, the ACLU, and the state’s largest teacher’s association, it nonetheless passed by a wide margin. Why has evolution suddenly reemerged as a hot-button cultural issue?

According to survey data from Pew and Gallup, the controversy over evolution never really went away. A 2010 Gallup poll showed that forty percent of Americans still believe in “strict creationism”—the idea that God created humans in their present form. A slightly smaller number believed that humans evolved with God’s guidance, and only sixteen percent believed humans evolved without God playing a role in the process. Pew’s polling, which breaks down responses by age, has shown that slightly less than half of all Americans say evolution is “the best explanation for human life.” Respondents older than 65 are least likely to agree with that statement (in 2010, only 40 percent did), and even among the youngest group (respondents aged 18-29), the number is just 55 percent. Among religious groups, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, and the unaffiliated are most likely to accept evolution, but slightly more than half of Catholics and mainline Protestants do as well. Too bad more of them don’t serve in the Tennessee state legislature.

Here we have well-educated biology teachers who will be forced to entertain the notion that God created everything a few thousand years ago, despite the overwhelming evidence that all life on earth shares a common ancestor, and that the earth is at least 4 billion years old.

There is no evidence for or against God. It is untestable. Therefore, God has no place in the science classroom. Why is this so difficult for these religious extremists to understand?
    I have no problem with this. It's actually one of those "you'd better watch out what you ask for. You might get it.". The reason I say that is that I can think of no better example of explaining to students "What is science" and "What is not science" than a discussion of creationism in the biology class room. Now if creationist in the legislature are trying to force science educators to treat "creationism" equally in the class room as accepted science well that just won't pass the Lemon test.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Idiots never fucking learn. creationism is nothing more than a euphemism for theology. something that should be taught in church and college for theology majors.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    I have no problem with this. It's actually one of those "you'd better watch out what you ask for. You might get it.". The reason I say that is that I can think of no better example of explaining to students "What is science" and "What is not science" than a discussion of creationism in the biology class room. Now if creationist in the legislature are trying to force science educators to treat "creationism" equally in the class room as accepted science well that just won't pass the Lemon test.
    I see your point, but it could also be a slippery slope. They may eventually extend the law to force teachers to present both.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

This has no place in schools, whatsoever - it shouldn't be side-by-side with studies about the "scientific method."

It's just agenda-driven BS. Creationism is for Sunday schools, not public schools.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 230 Times in 210 Posts

I think the General is on to something.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

slightly less than half of all Americans say evolution is “the best explanation for human life.” Respondents older than 65 are least likely to agree with that statement (in 2010, only 40 percent did), and even among the youngest group (respondents aged 18-29), the number is just 55 percent.

likely to accept evolution, slightly more than half of Catholics and mainline Protestants do as well.

Those two lines in red are hard to believe.....55% of 18-29 year olds ?.....thats pretty high....considering the left insists this age group are mostly liberal and support them
    at least
    more than 50% of mainline Christians seem to accept evolution....even though I would have guessed the figure would be higher....

After all is said done, I don't get why the left is so afraid of these fundamentalist people that want to remain ignorant.....who cares.....
    Whats to fear ?...and it is fear the left is feeling....they can't hurt you, let 'em believe whatever the hell they want.....

People are free to live in ignorance if thats what makes them happy.....
    I don't care if it is discussed in school....thats what school is for, discussion and exposure to diverse ideas....and long as what is discussed is legal. I have no fear that my children would revert to believing that bs and start buying creationist nonsense......
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
    I think the General is on to something.
    ?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Those two lines in red are hard to believe.....55% of 18-29 year olds ?.....thats pretty high....considering the left insists this age group are mostly liberal and support them
    at least
    more than 50% of mainline Christians seem to accept evolution....even though I would have guessed the figure would be higher....

After all is said done, I don't get why the left is so afraid of these fundamentalist people that want to remain ignorant.....who cares.....
    Whats to fear ?...and it is fear the left is feeling....they can't hurt you, let 'em believe whatever the hell they want.....

People are free to live in ignorance if thats what makes them happy.....
    I don't care if it is discussed in school....thats what school is for, discussion and exposure to diverse ideas....and as what is discussed it legal. I have no fear that my children would revert to believing that bs and start buying creationist nonsense......
    I am not 'left'

And the problem isn't so much that some people want to remain ignorant. It's that they want to impose their ignorant beliefs onto others.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rationalist For This Post:

/MSG/ (04-29-2012)

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

I am not 'left'

And the problem isn't so much that some people want to remain ignorant. It's that they want to impose their ignorant beliefs onto others.
    I didn't mean you personally, lad....relax.....I mean the left in general.....they are usually the only ones that rant over this same
    issue every time it comes up......

I'm not particularly happy with my kids being indoctrinated on man-made global warming, or that being a homo is just a normal life style, or that all Conservatives are bigots and racist, or that they somehow have to right to had others have earned ..... but I have to live with that and then try to instill in them the values and morals I think they should have....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,494 Times in 9,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Tennessee's Monkey Bill?!!

Once again the state of Tennessee is the educational embarrassment of the country because of it's dogmatic legislatures. This screams again of the Scopes Monkey Trial which also occurred in Tennessee. http://ncse.com/news/2012/04/monkey-...nnessee-007299 Dan Baker

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    I didn't mean you personally, lad....relax.....I mean the left in general.....they are usually the only ones that rant over this same
    issue every time it comes up......

I'm not particularly happy with my kids being indoctrinated on man-made global warming, or that being a homo is just a normal life style, or that all Conservatives are bigots and racist, or that they somehow have to right to had others have earned ..... but I have to live with that and then try to instill in them the values and morals I think they should have....
    That is an absolute and total fucking lie, navy gay tv channel. It's the christians that vehemently deny science. It's the idiots that perpetually dismiss education, call the educated "elites" or "snobs". It's the holier-than-thou assholes that demand false information be spoon fed to all our children based on "their" misguided belief system. Lefties don't rant over these issues. The looney toon righties do. just more of your goddamned denial and projection.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gui1tars For This Post:

Rune (04-30-2012)

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,795 Times in 32,158 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

apparently you've answered your own question....if only 16% believe that human beings evolved without God playing a role in the process why would you surprised that the other 84% want God's role taught in the schools....the simple truth is, very few people share your faith assumption that there is overwhelming evidence that all life on earth shares a common ancestor....let's face it....if there really WAS such evidence 100% would agree with you.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    apparently you've answered your own question....if only 16% believe that human beings evolved without God playing a role in the process why would you surprised that the other 84% want God's role taught in the schools....the simple truth is, very few people share your faith assumption that there is overwhelming evidence that all life on earth shares a common ancestor....let's face it....if there really WAS such evidence 100% would agree with you.....
    Because creationism, which is the topic here, is not any valid subject that can or should be taught in K-12 schools. Particularly public schools. Creationism is mythology pure and simple. The discussion of creationism is also the discussion of vengeful goDs and crazy scary things that kids don't need to be bothered with and as a parent, grandparent and great-grandparent I don't need to be bothered with either. In other words, creationism is bullshit.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,795 Times in 32,158 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
    Creationism is mythology pure and simple.
    no more so than the secular version of origin.....and, that's accepted by far fewer people.....

The discussion of creationism is also the discussion of vengeful goDs and crazy scary things
    lol, there's no reason to discuss the other things you've made up about Christianity, just to discuss creationism.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”