Has anyone heard of a Governor or Lt. Gov. hosting a talk show while in office? I'm assuming it must be legal otherwise Gavin Newsome wouldn't be doing it but they talk about the Lt. Gov's position basically being a worthless one well this helps confirm that belief.

(As an aside Gavin Newsome is the only politician I have ever donated money to. I can't believe I did it and I will not donate to another politician again.)

CA Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom’s adding a new job: TV talk show host

On the heels of a headline-making split with talk show host Keith Olbermann, San Francisco-based Current TV has hired on a new talk show host — one well-known to progressives — California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Newsom, the Democratic former mayor of San Francisco, will star in a weekly show for San Francisco-based Current TV called “The Gavin Newsom Show” beginning in May, the network announced Wednesday.

According to the release from Current: “The hour-long talk show will have a decidedly California touch as Newsom interviews notables from Silicon Valley, Hollywood and beyond.”

“The Gavin Newsom Show” will be executive produced by Mia Haugen a former executive at The Street, Forbes and CNN.

Newsom, considered a strong possibility as a future candidate for California governor or U.S. Senate, has long been a political ally of former Vice President Al Gore, the Current TV chair.

“Gavin Newsom is a courageous leader who has boldly seized every opportunity to create positive social change,” said Gore in a statement announcing the show today. “First as a successful entrepreneur, then in his role as Mayor of San Francisco, and now as Lieutenant Governor, Newsom touches many worlds – business, politics, entertainment and activism. We are honored that Current TV will be bringing his curiosity, intelligence, insights and enthusiasm to television.”

Current’s release says fans can follow “The Gavin Newsom Show” on Twitter @GavinOnCurrent.

Newsom joins a Current TV lineup that currently includes “The War Room with Jennifer Granholm,”“Viewpoint with Eliot Spitzer,” “Full Court Press: The Bill Press Show” and “Talking Liberally: The Stephanie Miller Show.”

The network was founded in 2005 by Gore and Joel Hyatt — and recently made news with its split with Olbermann, who has filed suiit. But now, looks like Current is on offense with a plan to make news and making ratings. Stay tuned.

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election...tampDescending