Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detroit High School Protest: Students Suspended After Demanding 'An Education'

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Buck Turgidson View Post
    No thanks. I'm comfortable where I am. Anyone who wants to look up comparative stats on education spending knows where to find it. Here it is again for those that are interested:

http://www.oecd.org/document/2/0,374...1,00.html#Data

If anyone wants comparative total spending on primary education for 1998 they can go to your link.
    LOL... hilarious... of course you are comfortable with where you are at. you are relying on your own memory.

Here is another link showing similar information... the US spends more on education yet doesn't have the results.

http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-ver...d-infographic/
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    LOL... hilarious... of course you are comfortable with where you are at. you are relying on your own memory.

Here is another link showing similar information... the US spends more on education yet doesn't have the results.

http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-ver...d-infographic/

Like I said, if anyone wants the data it's available at the link I provided. If anyone wants a small piece of the available data that supports their worldview and confirms their biases, then they can go to your links.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like I said, if anyone wants the data it's available at the link I provided. If anyone wants a small piece of the available data that supports their worldview and confirms their biases, then they can go to your links.
    LMAO... the original link I posted was from OECD data... albeit dated as I didn't catch it. Your link shows the very same thing... though more current. The US spends more per student, yet we get average to below average results.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rocketfingers View Post
    In Detroit, the union is the largest problem (other than the actual struture of public education). This isn't o say I'm anti union, or even against teachers unions, only that the situation in Detroit is an example of how unions do not represent your (the consumers) interest, they serve their (the unions) interest.
    Two stories:
    1 - During an interview of a striking Union member; a question was asked why they were asking for so much of an increase and the member said something along the lines that they had to make up for the money they lost, everytime they went on strike.
    2 - Copper mining went into the toilet, many years ago, and one of the mining companies in AZ, let all of the employees stay in the company owned housing, worked it out with the banks so that vehicles weren't repossessed, no electricy was shut off, and food was on the table. This was for a year or more.
    No sooner does the economy pick back up and the mine was able to reopen, then the Union goes on strike.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

perhaps I missed something but I thought you were arguing the US spent about the average for OECD nations.......the link you provided says they pay nearly twice the average......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”