Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Man enters wrong house, gets shot

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Man enters wrong house, gets shot

Anyone know what the California law states for a situation like this?

A 24-year-old South San Francisco man is in the intensive care unit after he allegedly tried entering the wrong Foster City house after a night of drinking and a visitor at the home mistook him for an intruder and shot him, police said.

Authorities believe the 24-year-old thought the house on the 600 block of Crane Avenue was his friends home when he went inside at about 4:20 a.m. Sunday.

A visitor at the house heard the man lurking outside and then enter the home. Capt. Jon Froomin said the visitor then fired two or three shots at the man with a gun that was not registered to him.

Froomin said he is unsure about how many bullets actually hit the man.

Froomin could not release his condition, but police have been unable to interview him. The friends he was drinking with that night told authorities that it was possible he had entered the wrong house by mistake.

Police arrested neither the shooter nor the man, but passed the information on to the district attorneys office to make a charging decision.

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2012/03...ts-shot/?tsp=1

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Anyone know what the California law states for a situation like this?

A 24-year-old South San Francisco man is in the intensive care unit after he allegedly tried entering the wrong Foster City house after a night of drinking and a visitor at the home mistook him for an intruder and shot him, police said.

Authorities believe the 24-year-old thought the house on the 600 block of Crane Avenue was his friend’s home when he went inside at about 4:20 a.m. Sunday.

A visitor at the house heard the man lurking outside and then enter the home. Capt. Jon Froomin said the visitor then fired two or three shots at the man with a gun that was not registered to him.

Froomin said he is unsure about how many bullets actually hit the man.

Froomin could not release his condition, but police have been unable to interview him. The friends he was drinking with that night told authorities that it was possible he had entered the wrong house by mistake.

Police arrested neither the shooter nor the man, but passed the information on to the district attorney’s office to make a charging decision.

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2012/03...ts-shot/?tsp=1
    was the intruder armed in any way?
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not sure this is chargeable, but I'm not up on californian law. However in Colorado this might be legal. You wander into somebody else's house at 4 in the morning round here, you probably will get shot.. Especially since in the town I live there's quite a bit of gang problems.
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

probably won't matter what the law is. in san fran, people are notoriously anti gun. the DA will probably charge attempted murder and a jury will convict. he'll spend 5 years or so in prison until his appeal overturns his conviction.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    was the intruder armed in any way?
    It shouldn't matter.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    probably won't matter what the law is. in san fran, people are notoriously anti gun. the DA will probably charge attempted murder and a jury will convict. he'll spend 5 years or so in prison until his appeal overturns his conviction.
    Would it be better if people were pro gun, and shooting like this were allowed?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Would it be better if people were pro gun, and shooting like this were allowed?
    do you believe that a person should have nothing to fear or should be forced to retreat from their homes when a complete stranger intrudes in their home? would it be better if we let the criminals run amok?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

the event did not take place in sf, but in south sf, a separate municipality and politically different
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

do you believe that a person should have nothing to fear or should be forced to retreat from their homes when a complete stranger intrudes in their home? would it be better if we let the criminals run amok?
    it would help if he were armed, at least under ca law, however, the usual thing told to homeowners by cops is 1. make sure that the intruder is in the house (in other words drag him in) 2. make sure that there is a weapon in his hand (take a knife from the kitchen and put it in his hand, especially if he is dead)

however, i am not up on the recent changes in ca law regarding using deadly force against an intruder

but, i think that most juries would acquit in this circumstance, but i would not want to bet my freedom on it

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

we have deadbolts on every exterior door and keep them locked...unless one of us is out in the yard

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

the event did not take place in sf, but in south sf, a separate municipality and politically different
    Actually it took place in Foster City which is about 15 miles south of San Francisco. Foster City is not as liberal as S.F. but it still votes Democratic.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

we have deadbolts on every exterior door and keep them locked...unless one of us is out in the yard
    And? I should HAVE to lock my doors? Why shouldn't people HAVE to check to make sure it's the right house?
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Gunny (03-26-2012)

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rocketfingers View Post
    And? I should HAVE to lock my doors? Why shouldn't people HAVE to check to make sure it's the right house?
    When they are in the process of murdering you and your family you are then allowed to fight back with some straws from your broom.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” --Edmund Burke

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rocketfingers View Post
    nor should people be wandering around drunk,

but i prefer the security of a locked house and yes, i would prefer not to have to be sure to keep my doors and windows locked, but how much do you want to pay for police protection?

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Actually it took place in Foster City which is about 15 miles south of San Francisco. Foster City is not as liberal as S.F. but it still votes Democratic.
    correct, it was a south sf man in foster city

oh well