Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint Base Lewis-McChord Staff Sergeant "snapped"; is base a magnet for killers?

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Joint Base Lewis-McChord Staff Sergeant "snapped"; is base a magnet for killers?

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, the massive military base in Washington state, has been reeling amid scrutiny over the widening cases of violence and suicide among soldiers...

The staff sergeant accused of murdering 16 Afghans served most of his career, when not deployed, at Joint Base Lewis-McChord....

In another recent scandal, Lt. Col. Robert E. Underwood of the 191st Infantry Brigade was charged with harassment. He is accused of threatening his estranged wife, girlfriend and another lieutenant colonel at the base.

“I can confirm that a soldier from JBLM has been arrested and is being held in the Pierce County Jail after he allegedly threatened to blow up the state Capitol in Olympia and pay a hit man $150,000 to kill his wife and a fellow officer,” Maj. Christopher Ophardt said.... “The post is catching up. We have 32 different services, from alcohol abuse counseling to financial problems,” he said. “And the second part of that is making sure that they know that it is OK to get help.…We’re telling them, put your machoism aside and get to that help so the professionals can make the determination of what is the right kind of help.”

The base has earned an infamous reputation.

One soldier
    murdered his wife and stuffed her body into a storage crate.

Another allegedly set his wife on fire.

Another was convicted of waterboarding his own young daughter for failing to know her ABCs.

The Afghan kill team that perpetrated a three-month murder spree against innocent Afghan civilians came from Lewis-McChord.

The former Army private who shot and killed a National Park Service ranger at Mount Rainier National Park on New Year’s Day was from Lewis-McChord.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-lewis-mcchord-services-20120313,0,1946526.story
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...army-base.html
    Last edited by Guns Guns Guns; 03-16-2012 at 03:11 AM.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by \\(())// View Post
    Joint Base Lewis-McChord, the massive military base in Washington state, has been reeling amid scrutiny over the widening cases of violence and suicide among soldiers...

The staff sergeant accused of murdering 16 Afghans served most of his career, when not deployed, at Joint Base Lewis-McChord....

In another recent scandal, Lt. Col. Robert E. Underwood of the 191st Infantry Brigade was charged with harassment. He is accused of threatening his estranged wife, girlfriend and another lieutenant colonel at the base.

“I can confirm that a soldier from JBLM has been arrested and is being held in the Pierce County Jail after he allegedly threatened to blow up the state Capitol in Olympia and pay a hit man $150,000 to kill his wife and a fellow officer,” Maj. Christopher Ophardt said.... “The post is catching up. We have 32 different services, from alcohol abuse counseling to financial problems,” he said. “And the second part of that is making sure that they know that it is OK to get help.…We’re telling them, put your machoism aside and get to that help so the professionals can make the determination of what is the right kind of help.”

The base has earned an infamous reputation.

One soldier
    murdered his wife and stuffed her body into a storage crate.

Another allegedly set his wife on fire.

Another was convicted of waterboarding his own young daughter for failing to know her ABCs.

The Afghan kill team that perpetrated a three-month murder spree against innocent Afghan civilians came from Lewis-McChord.

The former Army private who shot and killed a National Park Service ranger at Mount Rainier National Park on New Year’s Day was from Lewis-McChord.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-lewis-mcchord-services-20120313,0,1946526.story
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...army-base.html
    so when are you going to transfer to there...
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

3. #3 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    so when are you going to transfer to there...
    Are you claiming that I am a killer?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by \\(())// View Post
    Are you claiming that I am a killer?
    just having fun...
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

just having fun...
    I blame chewing gum. Gunslingers and other rather nasty people always chew gum. There is a statistical correlation. Gum chewers have violent thoughts. People who kill people have violent thoughts.
    It's the gum I tell you. (Apart from anything else it's a pretty unsightly and revolting habit, you must agree).
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

Phantasmal (03-18-2012)

7. #6 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

It is somehow more flawed than other major installations. It has a controversial record of handling mental health issues, high rates of suicide, domestic violence and homicides committed by its soldiers, the most notorious of which were carried out by a rogue unit known as the “kill team” that staged combat situations to murder three Afghan civilians in 2010.

Questions have only increased since Sunday, when a Lewis-McChord soldier was accused of killing at least 16 Afghan civilians, including 9 children, in an assassination-style ambush.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/us...dier.html?_r=1

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    I blame chewing gum. Gunslingers and other rather nasty people always chew gum. There is a statistical correlation. Gum chewers have violent thoughts. People who kill people have violent thoughts.
    It's the gum I tell you. (Apart from anything else it's a pretty unsightly and revolting habit, you must agree).
    hey, i chew gum on occasion, maybe i should transfer there...lol

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah this is a funny subject. Really hysterical.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (03-16-2012), Rune (03-17-2012), The Dude (03-16-2012)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Yeah this is a funny subject. Really hysterical.
    ok, ok, mea culpa, just a bit sleep deprived - my sense of humor tripped in as a reaction to the subject matter

things get a bit weird as it is after 4 am where i am and i am running on 3 hours of sleep

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Often times, chewing gum or using mints or other hard candy soothes an irritated stomach. Knowing how children get cranky when their stomach is upset perhaps the violence we're witnessing can be associated with an upset tummy.

Just saying.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

ok, ok, mea culpa, just a bit sleep deprived - my sense of humor tripped in as a reaction to the subject matter

things get a bit weird as it is after 4 am where i am and i am running on 3 hours of sleep
    Okay. I didn't mean to go all Super "HOW DARE YOU BEHAVE THAT WAY ON MY THREAD!" Freak on you. But it's a horrible horrible thing that is happening here.
    DARLA: The Internet's Leading Cause of White Dude Butthurt 12 Years and Counting

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

and of course \\\legion/// has to use this tragedy to further his political agenda

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

He posted it because I work there and am an Air Force SSgt (which is not equivilent to an Army SSG, as that is one rank above me - hell, even the abbreviation is different from mine).

Needless to say, ever since McChord AFB was merged with Fort Lewis, our crime rate has skyrocketed, as the statistics are for the whole Joint Base. Also, there have been a number of serious crimes in the last few years committed by Lewis soldiers, and at least one major court martial proceeding was convened on the fort within the last year.

The only crimes I commit are against social norms, as I went out curling with my Canadian colleagues two weeks ago, and had a great time. Today was hockey, but since I can't really skate, I spent just a few minutes in the game, balanced in a defensive position, but I had to prove my manhood and committment to Team USA. It didn't help matters that our star player was a colonel's five-year old son who can skate phenomenally. The Canadians were kind enough to let him score a few points on them.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Spicy Weiner View Post
    He posted it because I work there and am an Air Force SSgt (which is not equivilent to an Army SSG, as that is one rank above me - hell, even the abbreviation is different from mine).

Needless to say, ever since McChord AFB was merged with Fort Lewis, our crime rate has skyrocketed, as the statistics are for the whole Joint Base. Also, there have been a number of serious crimes in the last few years committed by Lewis soldiers, and at least one major court martial proceeding was convened on the fort within the last year.

The only crimes I commit are against social norms, as I went out curling with my Canadian colleagues two weeks ago, and had a great time. Today was hockey, but since I can't really skate, I spent just a few minutes in the game, balanced in a defensive position, but I had to prove my manhood and committment to Team USA. It didn't help matters that our star player was a colonel's five-year old son who can skate phenomenally. The Canadians were kind enough to let him score a few points on them.
    The only 'curling' a man should participate in is the curling of his lady's toes!
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Spicy Weiner View Post

ah....that makes sense...he does obsess over everyone's personal life. he has posted a few threads about capt's hometown and other personal diggs. how sad his life must be that he has to obsess over everyone else's.