Thread: The Rock n Roll HOF Does it again.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default The Rock n Roll HOF Does it again.

This year such legends of Rock and Roll were inducted into th RnR HOF as, Donovan, Laura Nyro and the Beastie Boys. That's two folk singers and a white Hip Hop group. I mean the Beastie Boys? Really? Seriously? I mean wtf!

Were talking seriously great and influential and consumate musicians in groups like The Doobie Brothers, Yes, Journey, REO SPeedwagon, Rush, The Moody Blues, ELO and Chicago.....not inducted?! Where the fuck do these people at the RnR HOF come up with this shit?

This isn't a RnR HOF. The is a Jann Wenner New York Snob musical version of "Our Gang".

Cleveland ought to kick their asses out of town for not inducting Ian Hunter on general principle alone.

I mean to their credit they did induct two actual Rock bands. GnR and RHCP. GnR I'm kinda "meh" about considering far more influential and accomplished rock groups go unrecognised. RHCP I can see as they were hugely influential to the punk, grunge, alternative rock movement.

What's needed is a real Rock music HOF. One in Cleveland for the fufu NYC music snob clique and one somewhere else for people who like Rock n Roll.

All I can say is Timothy Leary isn't dead and gone. He's in NYC waiting for Jann Wenner to leave.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I mean I bet the Beastie Boys will be like "What the fuck are we doing here?" during their induction.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derp Derp View Post
    I mean I bet the Beastie Boys will be like "What the fuck are we doing here?" during their induction.
    This is news to you? Check out what happened in 06.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

ummmm beastie boys have been one of the hugest acts in the last 25 years, and though they did a lot of hip hop stuff they had a lot of rock-oriented music as well. Most of beastie boys best hits were played on rock radio and not ghetto hip hop stations.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

This year such legends of Rock and Roll were inducted into th RnR HOF as, Donovan, Laura Nyro and the Beastie Boys. That's two folk singers and a white Hip Hop group. I mean the Beastie Boys? Really? Seriously? I mean wtf!

Were talking seriously great and influential and consumate musicians in groups like The Doobie Brothers, Yes, Journey, REO SPeedwagon, Rush, The Moody Blues, ELO and Chicago.....not inducted?! Where the fuck do these people at the RnR HOF come up with this shit?

This isn't a RnR HOF. The is a Jann Wenner New York Snob musical version of "Our Gang".

Cleveland ought to kick their asses out of town for not inducting Ian Hunter on general principle alone.

I mean to their credit they did induct two actual Rock bands. GnR and RHCP. GnR I'm kinda "meh" about considering far more influential and accomplished rock groups go unrecognised. RHCP I can see as they were hugely influential to the punk, grunge, alternative rock movement.

What's needed is a real Rock music HOF. One in Cleveland for the fufu NYC music snob clique and one somewhere else for people who like Rock n Roll.

All I can say is Timothy Leary isn't dead and gone. He's in NYC waiting for Jann Wenner to leave.
    I suspect the people on the election committee aren't old enough to remember The Doobie Brothers, Yes, Journey, REO SPeedwagon, Rush, The Moody Blues, ELO and Chicago.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I suspect the people on the election committee aren't old enough to remember The Doobie Brothers, Yes, Journey, REO SPeedwagon, Rush, The Moody Blues, ELO and Chicago.......
    The most frequent criticism of the Hall of Fame is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals who are not themselves musicians, such as founder Jann Wenner (who has filled the position of managing editor for Rolling Stone magazine), former foundation director Suzan Evans, and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once commented that "At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist...I saw how certain pioneering artists of the '50s and early '60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in '70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today."[20]
    There is also controversy in the lack of transparency in the selection process. Janet Morrissey of The New York Times wrote, "With fame and money at stake, it’s no surprise that a lot of backstage lobbying goes on. Why any particular act is chosen in any particular year is a mystery to performers as well as outsiders — and committee members say they want to keep it that way." Jon Landau, the chairman of the nominating committee, says they prefer it that way. "We’ve done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent. It all dies in the room."[21]
    According to Fox News, petitions with tens of thousands of signatures were also being ignored, and some groups that were signed with certain labels or companies or were affiliated with various committee members have even been put up for nomination with no discussion at all.[20] The committee has also been accused of largely ignoring certain genres.[22] According to author Brett Milano, "entire genres get passed over, particularly progressive rock, '60s Top 40, New Orleans funk and a whole lot of black music."[23]
    Another criticism is that too many artists are inducted. In fifteen years, 97 different artists have been inducted.[24] A minimum of 50% of the vote is needed to be inducted; although, the final percentages are not announced and a certain number of inductees (five in 2011) is set before the ballots are shipped.[24] The committee usually nominates a small number of artists (12 in 2010) from an increasing number of different genres. Several voters, including Joel Selvin, himself a former member of the nominating committee, didn't submit their ballots in 2007 because they didn't feel that any of the candidates were truly worthy.[25]
    The surviving members of the British punk rock band Sex Pistols, inducted in 2006, refused to attend the ceremony, calling the museum "a piss stain"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-02-2012)

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,165 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the Beastie Boys, I sing their songs when I play Rock Band.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (03-02-2012)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by They're gonna put it down View Post
    ummmm beastie boys have been one of the hugest acts in the last 25 years, and though they did a lot of hip hop stuff they had a lot of rock-oriented music as well. Most of beastie boys best hits were played on rock radio and not ghetto hip hop stations.
    I hear you but they weren't even remotely as popular or influential as accomplished musicicans Yes or Chicago or Rush. Most Beastie Boy's hits weren't even their own music. Hell most of their songs the tracks were sampled. I mean WTF? That's not musicianship. Sorry.....no knock on the Beastie Boys but there are faaaaaaar more deserving groups that should have been inducted. Compare the Beastie boys to say Kiss for example. No one comes even remotely close to Kiss in terms of influence (like their music or not) in the Heavy Metal genre. With out Kiss there wouldn't have been a Heavy Metal genre!!!

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by General Sheridan View Post
    This is news to you? Check out what happened in 06.
    No it's not news. I'm venting. Grrrrrrr!

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,165 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I hear you but they weren't even remotely as popular or influential as accomplished musicicans Yes or Chicago or Rush. Most Beastie Boy's hits weren't even their own music. Hell most of their songs the tracks were sampled. I mean WTF? That's not musicianship. Sorry.....no knock on the Beastie Boys but there are faaaaaaar more deserving groups that should have been inducted. Compare the Beastie boys to say Kiss for example. No one comes even remotely close to Kiss in terms of influence (like their music or not) in the Heavy Metal genre. With out Kiss there wouldn't have been a Heavy Metal genre!!!
    I liked Chicago and Yes, but Kiss and Rush were Bud's taste.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Uh guess again. There's not one person on the comittee under 50.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I like the Beastie Boys, I sing their songs when I play Rock Band.
    I like the Beastie Boys too and I'm not trying to beat up on them but great musicians they are not. They write very good lyrics and then sample some other artists music to make a song.

Johny Rotten is right. The RnR HOF is a piss stain!

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I liked Chicago and Yes, but Kiss and Rush were Bud's taste.
    I'm not the biggest Kiss fan but you got to give them their due as they created the modern heavy metal genre and were hugely succesful and influential. Yes not being in their just makes you shake your head. Those guys are PHENOMINAL musicians and selection commitee has an utter disregard for the progrock genre. I mean hell, Rush is like 4th or 5th in sales for Rock music. I've never met a serious rock musician who hasn't cited them as an influence.