Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Why is it?

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    I was referring to this. (Excerpt) Reporting Job Offers, changes in Pension Status, or School Attendance.
    Claimants must notify the Employment Security Commission of any job offers they have received, and if there have been changes in any retirement pension. Also, it is the claimant's responsibility to inform the Employment Security Commission of any changes in school attendance that may affect availability for work.

Denial of Benefits
    Any individual who quits a job, is fired from a job, refuses a referral to a job, refuses a job, refuses to enter Approved Commission Training, or fails to complete Approved Commission Training may be denied unemployment benefits. (End)
    https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/UI/UiClaims2.asp

It's my understanding if, for example, a manual machine operator wanted to take a course to learn about computer operated machines they would not be permitted if the classes ran all day even if they agreed to take time to search for a job.

(Excerpt) Eligibility Requirements. Actively seeking work means doing those things that an unemployed person who wants to work would normally do. Unless otherwise instructed, a claimant must seek work in person on two different days with at least two different employers and must keep a written record of all work search contacts for periodic review by Commission staff. (End)

That was the excuse given to deny people the opportunity to return to school (they wouldn't have time to look for a job) even though it doesn't take long to visit a company especially when there's no work available.

P.S. Do you like my new avatar?
    I'm not sure how North Carolina or any state besides IL handles UI investigations per se. I do know that as long as you answer their questions regarding looking for work, no one follows up. In this case, being honest may cause trouble, just a fact.

Referring to what that site says, about 2 meetings in person, foolish now. Very few places given interviews without online application. Heck most minimum wage places no longer have paper apps.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
    This is known as “bad luck.” - Robert Heinlein

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I'm not sure how North Carolina or any state besides IL handles UI investigations per se. I do know that as long as you answer their questions regarding looking for work, no one follows up. In this case, being honest may cause trouble, just a fact.

Referring to what that site says, about 2 meetings in person, foolish now. Very few places given interviews without online application. Heck most minimum wage places no longer have paper apps.
    There is a blog here discussing UI. http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...mployment.html and another one here. http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...its-while.html. There's also something here http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_go...t_compensation "If you attempt to attend school while on UI and do not report it to them, there is a period of 3 years from the end of your claim that they can do a fraud investigation that could result in both fines and jail time."

While these are only blogs it appears a few folks have run into problems regarding school. The UI reasoning is the person is not looking for work if they're in school, however, I find that bogus. There's not exactly a list of jobs to apply for and a person can take a few hours off school to apply if they see or hear of something. As for UI finding out if one attends school perhaps certain schools, vocational/community colleges, report attendance to some government agency in return for financial aid/consideration. I know, in Canada, the government accessed Customs documents and found out some UI recipients were spending part of the winter in Florida. :lol: Those employed in seasonal jobs (construction, gardening centers, landscaping, etc) would head south and work as waiters while their UI checks were direct deposited in their bank accounts. (Illegal workers are not only Mexicans.)
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    There is a blog here discussing UI. http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...mployment.html and another one here. http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...its-while.html. There's also something here http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_go...t_compensation "If you attempt to attend school while on UI and do not report it to them, there is a period of 3 years from the end of your claim that they can do a fraud investigation that could result in both fines and jail time."

While these are only blogs it appears a few folks have run into problems regarding school. The UI reasoning is the person is not looking for work if they're in school, however, I find that bogus. There's not exactly a list of jobs to apply for and a person can take a few hours off school to apply if they see or hear of something. As for UI finding out if one attends school perhaps certain schools, vocational/community colleges, report attendance to some government agency in return for financial aid/consideration. I know, in Canada, the government accessed Customs documents and found out some UI recipients were spending part of the winter in Florida. :lol: Those employed in seasonal jobs (construction, gardening centers, landscaping, etc) would head south and work as waiters while their UI checks were direct deposited in their bank accounts. (Illegal workers are not only Mexicans.)
    Perhaps. There's plenty to complain about regarding UI in IL. The workers make DMV folks look efficient. OTOH they are seriously understaffed.

There are nutty rules, seriously. I was RIF'd from a 10 year teaching position. That happened in June 2010. Went on UI for the summer. In the fall started substituting. Mind you, substituting is a 'day-to-day' hire. No benefits, no guarantees of work.

I got through all the breaks that year, not thinking of trying to go back on UI. The following summer I went back, explaining that I was facing 3 months without anything by part-time, minimum wage. Made sense to the person taking the claim. Was denied. 'Teachers' are not entitled to UI over the summer or for breaks. Had to write 5 pages explaining why I was a 'sub' not a 'teacher'. No contract, no benefits, etc. Denied: "Teachers cannot make claims for summer or breaks."

Now if I was laborer, hired for daily work? Yep, they would put the claim to the original employer that had laid me off.

My state rep has attempted to get the restriction lifted, so far no luck.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
    This is known as “bad luck.” - Robert Heinlein