Thread: Comes September

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Comes September

"In the end, President Bush's failure to heed the will of the people isn't so much an act of principle, but rather an outburst of sheer peevishness. With Democrats in control of Congress, he's no longer getting a blank check to fund his military adventures. He finds this frustrating, so he's stamping his foot, covering his ears, and taking his party down with him."

This is from a great opinion piece that I"m linking to down further. I'm very interested in this particular point above though. We know that he is indeed taking down the Republican party. And we hear a lot of talk from inside the beltway that the Republicans are ready to bolt from him. But they're giving him until September. Now, he has already played down any expectations of any real improvement in Iraq by September. So what the rest of his party will do then, as they begin to stare a rout in Nov 08 in the face, is anyone's guess. Maybe they do stand up and make him pull out. The result of that will be interesting in itself. ie: will he listen even then? And what do we do as a country if he doesn't?

What I wonder is, if you lose your child in this war between now and Sept, and you come to find out that the republican party knew the war was lost and were waiting "just a few more months" before growing a pair, to whom do you go with your complaint? And what gun do you pack with you when you meet them?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...513967,00.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Darla, do you think republicans will really abandon him in September?

I know that's what all the cable news pundits say. I have my doubts. Sure, symbolically they may try to put a little distance between themselves and bush. But, will they actually turn on a republican president and force him to abandon his occupation of iraq? I'm not so sure. This isn't my father's republican party; a party who could - at times - put loyalty to country over and above loyalty to party. The asked Nixon to step down. But, I think those days are gone. The modern GOP has chained themselves to bush, and I just don't think they'll ever toss him overboard.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Darla, do you think republicans will really abandon him in September?

I know that's what all the cable news pundits say. I have my doubts. Sure, symbolically they may try to put a little distance between themselves and bush. But, will they actually turn on a republican president and force him to abandon his occupation of iraq? I'm not so sure. This isn't my father's republican party; a party who could - at times - put loyalty to country over and above loyalty to party. The asked Nixon to step down. But, I think those days are gone. The modern GOP has chained themselves to bush, and I just don't think they'll ever toss him overboard.
    I don't know. The pundits claim that 'according to people on the hill" that's what the politicians themselves are saying behind closed doors. I have my doubts on one hand, on the other hand, I don't see how Republicans up for relection, this means the entire Republican house, and however many Senators are up, in 08 can go into that election tied to this war. There is going to be a political bloodbath if that is the case.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't know either Cypress it will be interesting to watch though.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I don't know. The pundits claim that 'according to people on the hill" that's what the politicians themselves are saying behind closed doors. I have my doubts on one hand, on the other hand, I don't see how Republicans up for relection, this means the entire Republican house, and however many Senators are up, in 08 can go into that election tied to this war. There is going to be a political bloodbath if that is the case.

Possibly.

But, I think a lot of pundits are still stuck in the politics of the 1970s and 1980s. When the post-watergate media was more of a watchdog.

today, a politician can outright lie, and the media won't call them on it. Joe Lieberman won in Connecticut because he was telling the voters "Nobody wants to get out of Iraq more than me!". That was essentially his campaign motto the last two weeks of the race. And a lot of voters who don't follow the news closely, probably said - Okay, I'm sticking with Joe. He seems like he realy wants to get out of iraq.

But, as we know, as soon as Joe was re-elected, he became the war's biggest cheerleaeer.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Possibly.

But, I think a lot of pundits are still stuck in the politics of the 1970s and 1980s. When the post-watergate media was more of a watchdog.

today, a politician can outright lie, and the media won't call them on it. Joe Lieberman won in Connecticut because he was telling the voters "Nobody wants to get out of Iraq more than me!". That was essentially his campaign motto the last two weeks of the race. And a lot of voters who don't follow the news closely, probably said - Okay, I'm sticking with Joe. He seems like he realy wants to get out of iraq.

But, as we know, as soon as Joe was re-elected, he became the war's biggest cheerleaeer.
    Oh, that is a good point.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Joe is really a republican.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.