Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am disappointed in Ron Paul

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Default I am disappointed in Ron Paul

I already know I'm going to catch hostile flack from the libertarian nut wing here, but I need to vent a little. Of all the people currently running for president on the GOP side, I am most disappointed (and totally befuddled) by Ron Paul. Here is a man who could have very easily been the next Ronald Reagan, and led a massive broad-based coalition to an easy landslide victory. I believe he had the clout and credentials with the ever-so-important swing voters, and could have parlayed that into one hell of a run. His problem is, he went off the tracks early and has continued to do so at every opportunity. Instead of reeling in the idea that his views might be a little wacky, he doubled down on wacky, and I just don't think mainstream America connects with wacky when it comes to presidents.

For the past decade or more, people have heard of Ron Paul, and have encountered enthusiastic Paul supporters along the way. This election was his chance to finally bend the ear of mainstream voters and take it to the next level. In my opinion, his strategy has to be one of the worst political strategies of all time. I mean, protesting the wars, really? I was not aware that any great massive and overwhelming number of GOP voters were vehemently opposed to military actions abroad, isn't that predominately a left-wing thing? The only reason G.W. Bush was re-elected, was because of voters who supported him on the wars, in spite of objecting to his spending and 'compassionate conservative' fiscal philosophy, which was dubbed 'liberal lite'. The "Anti-War Right" is a very small minority of mostly idiots who think they have smarts. The Pinhead Right!

So now Paul has aligned himself with about 17-18% of the people, who either hold these same wacky views, or don't care what kind of wacky views he has, they are just ready for the 'nuclear option' here, to shake things up. Moderate Anarchists, as it were. Through his liberal-sounding tirades in the debates, he has completely alienated the typical conservative voter out there, and his appeal is to the radicals. What is a shame is, most of mainstream America could have supported Paul's views on fiscal conservative policy and size/scope of government, that's where he totally missed his opportunity to be Reaganesque, in my opinion. Had he emphasized economics more, and stayed away from his foreign policy nuttiness, the result may have been quite different. I think Paul missed his chance at greatness.

2. The Following User Groans At Dixie - In Memoriam For This Awful Post:

Rationalist (01-12-2012)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Ron Paul is a guy with a ton of wacko ideas and a few good ones, not a guy with a ton of good ideas and a few wacko ones.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonestorm For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-10-2012), Phantasmal (01-09-2012)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

that dang constitution.......what a wacky idea.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 560 Times in 506 Posts

Well, I'll tell ya, Ron Paul is right about the Constitution, declaring war, and the Fed. The problem is when he talks about defense and Islamism. Then he sounds just like the far left and he makes me sick to my stomach.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

because violent military operations overseas is a good thing, despite it's questionable motives or legality.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

He showed his true self here, a liar and a nasty person, just like most of the libtards here:
    When asked by host Jay Leno what he thought of his rivals, Paul shook his head, slowed his voice and said, “she doesn’t like Muslims, she hates them, she wants to go get ‘em” ....

The comment even left the audience and host Jay Leno momentarily stunned.

In reference to Rick Santorum, Paul said he can’t stop talking about “gay people and Muslims.”
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...hates-muslims/

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

He's damn right on a couple big ones
    War on drugs aka war on our own people generally the poor
    Wars in general, obviously he's one of the few not on the take from the military industrial complex - an industry I won't invest in

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    He's damn right on a couple big ones
    War on drugs aka war on our own people generally the poor
    Wars in general, obviously he's one of the few not on the take from the military industrial complex - an industry I won't invest in

He's right on the legalization of marijuana. But he's not just in favor of marijuana legalization, he's in favor of legalizing all drugs (except birth control). And he was right on the Iraq War, but his anti-war views are so extreme that he doesn't think that the US should not have gotten involved in WWII.

Like I said, he has a few good ideas but most are wacko.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    that dang constitution.......what a wacky idea.
    If you don't secure your nation from Islamist murderers on your own soil, you eventually will not have a constitution. You will all be bowing to Mecca or dead.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    He's right on the legalization of marijuana. But he's not just in favor of marijuana legalization, he's in favor of legalizing all drugs (except birth control). And he was right on the Iraq War, but his anti-war views are so extreme that he doesn't think that the US should not have gotten involved in WWII.

He actually said we should not have gotten involved in WWII? He's senile.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post

Dungheap, not a gotcha question just curious. Of the wars the U.S. has been involved in post WWII which ones, if any, did you support?

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I found this and it's very disgusting. Ron Paul is a sick old man.

http://thespeechatimeforchoosing.wor...houldnt-exist/

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Dungheap, not a gotcha question just curious. Of the wars the U.S. has been involved in post WWII which ones, if any, did you support?

Most recently, Afghanistan.

And to clarify, Ron Paul said we should not have gotten involved in the war in Europe. I do not know where he stands on the war in the Pacific or if he is wacky enough to think that the bombing of Pearl Harbor did not justify war against Japan.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts