Thread: Florida Man Guilty of DUI Manslaughter Sues Victim

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default Florida Man Guilty of DUI Manslaughter Sues Victim

Florida Man Guilty of DUI Manslaughter Sues Victim

A man who had pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter stemming from a crash near Tampa, Fla., on Christmas Day 2007 now denies causing the crash that killed three of the four people in the vehicle he hit.

David Belniak has sued the estate of Ray McWilliams, the now-deceased driver of the other vehicle, for more than $15,000, saying it was actually McWilliams who caused the crash by abruptly changing lanes, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

McWilliams initially survived the crash but later died. Belniak was sentenced to 12 years in prison, where he remains.

The money is to compensate Belniak for medical bills, “pain and suffering,” and “loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life,” according to the suit.

“There aren’t any facts that support the allegation [Tuomey] is making,” Deskins added. “That’s why the victims’ family is breathless” at Belniak’s suit.

Six eyewitnesses said McWilliams was stopped a red light when Belniak, at 70 to 90 mph, and never veering or braking, rear-ended him, Deskins said.

The event data recorder in McWilliams’ vehicle showed it was not moving at the time of impact, she added. And prior to the incident, citizens had called Florida Highway Patrol to say Belniak had been driving out of control, she said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...r-sues-victim/

i understand people have a right to bring their grievances to court for redress, however, frivolous or bad faith lawsuits like this tick me off. it gives the profession a bad name and is a waste of judicial resources. given the apparent facts of the accident, the attorney who filed the suit should be sanctioned.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

typical lawyers
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,896 Times in 21,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,687 Times in 5,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

1) I suspect the Plaintiff will lose.
    2) I suspect the Attorney who filed the suit will lose money on the deal.
    3) Its likely that the Defendants will be awarded costs.
    4) If the Attorney takes on more cases like this he will soon be out of business.

There is a florida statute on point regarding being under the influence of alchole and then sueing.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0768.36.html

768.36 Alcohol or drug defense.—(1) As used in this section, the term:
    (a) “Alcoholic beverage” means distilled spirits and any beverage that contains 0.5 percent or more alcohol by volume as determined in accordance with s. 561.01(4)(b).
    (b) “Drug” means any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111 or any substance controlled under chapter 893. The term does not include any drug or medication obtained pursuant to a prescription as defined in s. 893.02 which was taken in accordance with the prescription, or any medication that is authorized under state or federal law for general distribution and use without a prescription in treating human diseases, ailments, or injuries and that was taken in the recommended dosage.
    (2) In any civil action, a plaintiff may not recover any damages for loss or injury to his or her person or property if the trier of fact finds that, at the time the plaintiff was injured:
    (a) The plaintiff was under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug to the extent that the plaintiff’s normal faculties were impaired or the plaintiff had a blood or breath alcohol level of 0.08 percent or higher; and
    (b) As a result of the influence of such alcoholic beverage or drug the plaintiff was more than 50 percent at fault for his or her own harm.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Blog Entries

Typical American reaction, sue. I do object that it's just the lawyers, they're just following through on what their client wants, it's like blaming an employee for the orders of their employer. That being said, the asshole who's sueing the victims of his own crime should be hung up by his toes.
    "In the bath tub of history the truth is harder to find than the soap and more difficult to hold on to."

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    It's not the cops fault that the douchebag is a fraud.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    Typical American reaction, sue. I do object that it's just the lawyers, they're just following through on what their client wants, it's like blaming an employee for the orders of their employer. That being said, the asshole who's sueing the victims of his own crime should be hung up by his toes.
    yes and no. a lawyer shall not file a claim that he or she knows or should know to be frivolous or without merit.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So, say I have too much to drink and try to drive home. I am stoped at a red light and am whacked from behind by a clearly neglgent driver.

Now, I get arrested for DUI because I was drunk and behind thw wheel of my car. My drunkiness had nothing to do with the accident, should I not be allowed to seek recovery for damages caused by the other driver simply because I was drunk?

LOCK HIM UP!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    So, say I have too much to drink and try to drive home. I am stoped at a red light and am whacked from behind by a clearly neglgent driver.

Now, I get arrested for DUI because I was drunk and behind thw wheel of my car. My drunkiness had nothing to do with the accident, should I not be allowed to seek recovery for damages caused by the other driver simply because I was drunk?
    in cali, i believe you don't get any general damages, not sure though

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But dispite the way the law currently is, I am interested in what people think.... Should the fact that the dude is drunk prevent him from making a recovery, if the accident was clearly not related to him being drunk and was clearly the other person's fault.

LOCK HIM UP!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But dispite the way the law currently is, I am interested in what people think.... Should the fact that the dude is drunk prevent him from making a recovery, if the accident was clearly not related to him being drunk and was clearly the other person's fault.
    he can get meds, auto, but nothing else. price you pay for breaking the law.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

he abruptly changed lanes after getting slammed from behind while stopped at a red light....stupid car should have stayed where it was sitting....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”