Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an ID required?

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Question Is an ID required?

When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...record-keeping

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,764 Times in 27,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,589 Times in 18,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

the facts are clear.

ANYONE who supports the voter ID laws inlight of the facts on the table supports making us something other than a democracy.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

First, what is the OP supposed to debate?

Second, what does voter ID laws have to do with the GCA of 68?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #4 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    First, what is the OP supposed to debate? Second, what does voter ID laws have to do with the GCA of 68?
    Explain how you buy guns without a photo ID...

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by \\(())// View Post
    Explain how you buy guns without a photo ID...

the same way I'd buy a toolbox at a garage sale. see it, like it, buy it.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #6 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

the same way I'd buy a toolbox at a garage sale. see it, like it, buy it.
    Is the purchase of toolboxes at a garage sale subject to the same requirements as firearm purchases?

So either you show ID when you buy a toolbox at a garage sale, or you buy guns illegally, or you're lying.

Which is it?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Is the purchase of toolboxes at a garage sale subject to the same requirements as firearm purchases?

So either you show ID when you buy a toolbox at a garage sale, or you buy guns illegally, or you're lying.

Which is it?
    wtf are you talking about? the law you posted says I do not need an ID if I buy a firearm from a private individual. so yes, buying a toolbox at a garage sale has the same ID requirements as buying a pistol from my neighbor. none.

8. #8 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

wtf are you talking about? the law you posted says I do not need an ID if I buy a firearm from a private individual. so yes, buying a toolbox at a garage sale has the same ID requirements as buying a pistol from my neighbor. none.
    So you can buy a gun with no ID, but Texas Republicans say you must show a picture ID (in addition to being legally registered) to vote?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you can buy a gun with no ID, but Texas Republicans say you must show a picture ID (in addition to being legally registered) to vote?
    why didn't you post the texas law for voting with an ID?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think they understand what they read.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

I guess you can't understand the difference between public events and private sales

12. #12 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

why didn't you post the texas law for voting with an ID?
    More than one million students attend colleges, universities and technical schools in Texas.

But because of the state's new voter identification law, none will be allowed to use their student ID cards to cast a ballot.

When Texas state legislators moved to cut student IDs from the list of acceptable voter identifications in May, they actually made voting easier for some residents: Now gun owners in Texas are allowed to use their concealed-carry permits as valid proof of the right to vote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1095530.html

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

oh yeah, perry's 'emergency' item. we saw this coming after the last election. It's one of the reasons why I voted against my state rep Todd Smith.....again.

14. #14 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

oh yeah, perry's 'emergency' item. we saw this coming after the last election. It's one of the reasons why I voted against my state rep Todd Smith.....again.
    How'd you get to vote?

A voter who has not been issued a driver’s license or social security number may register to vote, but such voter must submit proof of identification when presenting himself/herself for voting or with his/her mail-in ballots, if voting by mail. These voters’ names are flagged on the official voter registration list with the annotation of “ID.” The “ID” notation instructs the poll worker to request a proper form of identification from these voters when they present themselves for voting. Acceptable identification includes:
    • a driver's license or personal identification card issued to the person by the Department of Public Safety or a similar document issued to the person by an agency of another state, regardless of whether the license or card has expired;
    • a form of identification containing the person's photograph that establishes the person's identity;
    • a birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person's identity;
    • United States citizenship papers issued to the person;
    • a United States passport issued to the person;
    • official mail addressed to the person by name from a governmental entity;
    • a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter; or
    • any other form of identification prescribed by the Secretary of State.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections...argepamp.shtml

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How'd you get to vote?
    personal identification card issued to the person by the Department of Public Safety