Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why China will clean our clocks.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why China will clean our clocks.

Mathematicians set Chinese test
    Maths enthusiasts are being challenged to answer a sample question from Chinese university entrance tests.

The tests are set for prospective science undergraduates.

The UK's Royal Society of Chemistry is offering a £500 prize to one lucky but bright person who answers the question below correctly.

It has also published a test used in a "well known and respected" English university - the society is not naming it - to assess the strength of incoming science undergraduates' maths skills.

Try the two tests

A glance at the two questions reveals how much more advanced is the maths teaching in China, where children learn the subject up to the age of 18, the society says.

Schools and students are reluctant to consider A-level mathematics to age 18, because the subject is regarded as difficult
    Richard Pike

Pupils 'urged to drop maths'
    Science undergraduates in England are likely not to have studied maths beyond GCSE level at the age of 16, it says.

It has sounded a warning about Britain's future economic prospects which it claims are threatened by competition from scientists in China.

RSC chief executive Richard Pike says mathematics is seen as integral to the sciences in China and its economy.

"There, the concept of remedial courses at university would be inconceivable.

"UK chemistry departments are often world-renowned for their creativity; however, mathematics tests set in England by many universities for undergraduate chemistry students in their first term to diagnose remedial requirements are disconcertingly simple.

"They encapsulate the challenge facing this country," says Dr Pike.

But a maths professor in England, William Shaw, has said the emphasis in mathematics teaching varies from country to country and the RSC's attack is "nonsense".

Anyone wishing to enter the competition should go to the RSC website and send the correct answer by Friday 27 April to be included in a prize draw.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6589301.stm

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

USA public school system math test question...

2+2=4 (circle the answer)

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

1/3 ?

Heck we teach stuff that was appropriate 30 years ago but not now....
    That is conservative education
    All children left behind in the global race.

4. #4 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

I can still do it, but probably not within the time limit given. Question 1 is not well stated (probably trasnlatin error), but I know what they want.

I'm going to try it just for fun.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah but are you in high school ? This is pre college entrance stuff.

I know the answer can't be 1/3 because they don't exist. I have that on good authority from a guy with several degrees

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lol

7. #7 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

I solved the problems and provided the proofs. It took an hour and a half, which includes the time I took to put my son to bed, two bottles of beer (and an obligatory 'biology' break), and I showed two proofs for parts (i) and (ii), but not (iii).

If anyone really wants me to show the proofs, I will attempt to transcribe the math into something legible.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Good Job Trog. Been to long for me on the Chinese one, would have had to pull the books out.

I trust that the point of the thread is well made now ?
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

9. #9 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Good Job Trog. Been to long for me on the Chinese one, would have had to pull the books out.

I trust that the point of the thread is well made now ?
    Oh.

(giving a dumb look)...

I was talking about the English school quiz. (JOKE)

Yes, the point is somewhat made, but the Chinese system is different. They only send the best and brightest to University, and their population is so huge, that they only seat the top few percent of students. So the populations considered by these tests are very different.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes and I think we should have to raise our qualifying entrance exams for college as well.

That is part of my point.
    College is not for everyone. We need an assortment of schools for all skillsets and matching them as well as possible to our peoples capabilities.
    Our goal should not necessarially be to get everyone thru college, we have just diluted the level of our cirriculum in going in that direction.
    Proving tax cuts work!

11. #11 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

Yes and I think we should have to raise our qualifying entrance exams for college as well.

College is not for everyone. We need an assortment of schools for all skillsets and matching them as well as possible to our peoples capabilities.
    Our goal should not necessarially be to get everyone thru college, we have just diluted the level of our cirriculum in going in that direction.
    Here's some weirdness from my (admittedly limited) personal experiences - In group projects, Americans (children of the Society of the Individual) tend to work together better (more productive use of time, less strife, and more focus on the end goal) than the Chinese (children of the Collective Society).

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Excellent Point!

Our school system and government needs to focus on getting back to trade schools and technical schools for those who are inclined for the semi-skilled jobs which are essential for our countries well being...not everyone (in any society) is College material...if we do this we will not have a need for ' illegal immigration'...for non and semi-skilled workers! It worked quite well back in the day...when our production lines were filled with semi-skilled workers...

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am not saying go to a collective society mentality. Just suctom tune education based on abilities.
    Al;so raise the levels we teach at to stay competetitive in the world.
    I have seen many wasted degrees in my life. Most of them cost tax money as well.
    Heck I think toby had 3 or 4 and Dix had at least 3 I think. Talk about wasted.

On the Chinese solving problems, well I spent some time over there and they are sizzlin. They are going to fry our bacon for us if we don't watch out. Same for India.
    Proving tax cuts work!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default How so very true...

BA's and Ma's and some PHD's are totally usless...we need technical skills that could be taught at a lower yet more productive level AS,BS anyone?

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

They're not going to clean our clocks, simply due to the superiority of point to point networks with equally powerful nodes. This is what we might call individual freedom in a political context. We just cannot let ourselves fall to fascism and tyranny, and we must stop FAVORING china in trade relations, by abandoning our historical aversion to slavery and allowing them to devalue their currency.