Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Reagan Documentary

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default Ronald Reagan Documentary

I just saw the Ronald Reagan documentary on HBO last night. Partisans on both the left and right will probably hate it. Which is probably about as strong as evidence as one needs that the film is spot on accurate.

On the whole the film is very fair to Reagan. I'm pretty sure the Grover Norquist and "Reagan as Mythology" crowd will be very, very uncomfortable with Ron Reagan, Jr's. comments as he is scrupulously honest about his father as a man, a person and a politician. That doesn't exactly jibe with the mythology they have created about Reagan.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 12-11-2011 at 06:49 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

no man is ever who is worshippers or his detractors say he is

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Socrtease For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-11-2011)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,770 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I just saw the Ronald Reagan documentary on HBO last night. Partisans on both the left and right will probably hate it. Which is probably about as strong as evidence as one needs that the film is spot on accurate.

On the whole the film is very fair to Reagan. I'm pretty sure the Grover Norquist and "Reagan as Mythology" crowd will be very, very uncomfortable with Ron Reagan, Jr's. comments as he is scrupulously honest about his father as a man, a person and a politician. That doesn't exactly jibe with the mythology they have created about Reagan.
    I love Ronald Reagan Jr., I will have to check it out, thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

The Dude (12-12-2011)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

If it was Ronald Reagan: An American Journey by Robert Kline, I thought it pretty much sucked. The historical details were interesting, about his youth, growing up and all, but it was the constant pinhead left-wing interjections that bugged me. Could they not find some conservatives to interject? What the fuck do I care what Robert Reich has to say about Reagan? Or his half-wit son? I mean, if you are going to constantly bombard the documentary with partisan political opinions, what is the point? I watched about 3/4ths of it and had to turn it off, it was so bad. Not as bad as the pathetic hack job CBS did on him a few years ago, with James Brolin playing Reagan, that sucked on ice.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

Reagan was a Gestapo moron and a facist.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Reagan was a Gestapo moron and a facist.
    Flattery will get you no where Topper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

The Dude (12-12-2011)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 276 Times in 251 Posts

Reagan was a good leader for difficult times, but not the ideal conservative. Like most Republicans, he cut taxes but didn't push for spending cuts. One could argue that his hands were tied by the Democrats in Congress, but that's a tired excuse. Bush had control of both houses of Congress and did the same thing. The bottom line is Republicans don't think deficits are a big deal...well, unless a Democrat is in the White House.
    "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." -O'Brien, Nineteen Eighty-Four

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rationalist For This Post:

/MSG/ (12-12-2011)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    If it was Ronald Reagan: An American Journey by Robert Kline, I thought it pretty much sucked. The historical details were interesting, about his youth, growing up and all, but it was the constant pinhead left-wing interjections that bugged me. Could they not find some conservatives to interject? What the fuck do I care what Robert Reich has to say about Reagan? Or his half-wit son? I mean, if you are going to constantly bombard the documentary with partisan political opinions, what is the point? I watched about 3/4ths of it and had to turn it off, it was so bad. Not as bad as the pathetic hack job CBS did on him a few years ago, with James Brolin playing Reagan, that sucked on ice.
    No, I don't believe it was that one. That sounds like a PBS documentary. Though I'm reasonably sure you probably won't like this one either. They interview quite a few right wing partisans and few, if any, left wing partisans. Still and all, the documentary is fair and accurate not only about Reagan but to history as well.

The criticisms made about Reagan, and they were more then fair about extolling his virtues, were correct and accurate. The most serious criticism made in the documentary about Reagan was quite surprising as it comes from a man who was a serious Reagan partisan and it comes at the very end of the documentary.

I liked the documentary because it portrayed Reagan as the man of flesh I voted for twice and not the mythological idol that the Grover Norquist gang has tried to create about him. The documentary does a good job in demolishing these myths. Among my favorites is how they demolish the mythology of Reagan being a small government conservative.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Julius Caesar View Post
    Reagan was a good leader for difficult times, but not the ideal conservative. Like most Republicans, he cut taxes but didn't push for spending cuts. One could argue that his hands were tied by the Democrats in Congress, but that's a tired excuse. Bush had control of both houses of Congress and did the same thing. The bottom line is Republicans don't think deficits are a big deal...well, unless a Democrat is in the White House.
    I'd argue that. First there's no such thing as an "ideal" conservative. On the second no one person has had as significant impact on the modern conservative movement as Ronald Reagan did. Reagan's greatest political accomplishment was that he was able to galvanize blue collar working class resentment towards the excesses of the liberal movements of the 60's and 70's into vast levels of support for a Republican agenda that was often contrary to their economic interest and that political landscape has not changed much in recent years.

As for difficult times, I'd say that the situation in 1980, when Reagan came into office, are not nearly as difficult as the disaster President Obama inherited from the Bush administration in 2008.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-12-2011)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

No, I don't believe it was that one. That sounds like a PBS documentary. Though I'm reasonably sure you probably won't like this one either. They interview quite a few right wing partisans and few, if any, left wing partisans. Still and all, the documentary is fair and accurate not only about Reagan but to history as well.

The criticisms made about Reagan, and they were more then fair about extolling his virtues, were correct and accurate. The most serious criticism made in the documentary about Reagan was quite surprising as it comes from a man who was a serious Reagan partisan and it comes at the very end of the documentary.

I liked the documentary because it portrayed Reagan as the man of flesh I voted for twice and not the mythological idol that the Grover Norquist gang has tried to create about him. The documentary does a good job in demolishing these myths. Among my favorites is how they demolish the mythology of Reagan being a small government conservative.
    Well Reagan WAS a small government conservative. Unfortunately, he had to work with a big government liberal congress! He could have been a completely polarizing figure, but he adopted an approach of working with Tip O'Neil, to get things done. It is only in retrospect that leftists can paint him as not being a small government conservative, and it's a totally dishonest portrayal.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sorry Dixie. That's another Grover Norquist and gang mythology. There was a 60% increase in government spending during Reagan's tenure and all Reagan had to do to reign in congress was to simply use his veto power so your argument doesn't wash. Reagan grew increased government by 3% of GDP as compared to the 1.3% increase under Carter and Ford.

Then lets talk about regulation. Some deregulation had begun under Carter, such as, abolishing the civil aeronautics board and the deregulation of oil prices. Reagan halted that momentum. Cost of regulation grew substantially under Reagan. Cost that the executive branch of government are responsible for. Not congress.

Reagan also signed into law 43 environmental bills into law including, Superfund Amendment and Reauthorization Act, Safe Drinking Water Ammendments, Clean Water Act, Ammendments, Comprehensive Response, Compensation and Liability Act. Reagan easily could have vetoed these bills and the would not have been able to obtain a super majority in congress to become law but he didn't. He signed them into law and grew both the size of government and the scope of regulation and that's just one example of where Reagan grew the size, scope and cost of the executive branch of Government when he easily could have reigned that growth in by simply exercising his veto power.

So your "It's congresses fault" argument just doesn't hold water.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rationalist (12-12-2011)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd argue that. First there's no such thing as an "ideal" conservative. On the second no one person has had as significant impact on the modern conservative movement as Ronald Reagan did. Reagan's greatest political accomplishment was that he was able to galvanize blue collar working class resentment towards the excesses of the liberal movements of the 60's and 70's into vast levels of support for a Republican agenda that was often contrary to their economic interest and that political landscape has not changed much in recent years.

As for difficult times, I'd say that the situation in 1980, when Reagan came into office, are not nearly as difficult as the disaster President Obama inherited from the Bush administration in 2008.
    Yes, you would say that because you are a partisan hack.

The times were certainly different as were the challenges each faced. But to declare that the double digit inflation, the lack of growth in GDP that Reagan inherited from Carter wasn't as difficult is absurd. Reagan led. Obama thus far has pandered and wandered around not knowing what to do. Reagan made the hard choice to go with Volcker's plan that was necessary to right the ship, something Carter was afraid to do. Something Obama is afraid to do. Because both Carter and Obama were afraid it would kill their chances for a second term. To be fair, Reagan was able to make the choice at the beginning of his first term, Carter was not. Obama was provided that same chance and instead of righting the ship he decided to force Obama care down our throats rather than addressing the economy and jobs.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

Reagan was the biggest government Facist we have had since Nixon.
    Skinheads and Klansman loved him though.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Reagan was the biggest government Facist we have had since Nixon.
    Skinheads and Klansman loved him though.
    LMAO.... yeah, amazing how the 'skinheads and klansman' were able to vote Reagan into office in massive land slides. Also, if you are going to call him a fascist.... at least learn to spell the word correctly.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Yes, you would say that because you are a partisan hack.

The times were certainly different as were the challenges each faced. But to declare that the double digit inflation, the lack of growth in GDP that Reagan inherited from Carter wasn't as difficult is absurd. Reagan led. Obama thus far has pandered and wandered around not knowing what to do. Reagan made the hard choice to go with Volcker's plan that was necessary to right the ship, something Carter was afraid to do. Something Obama is afraid to do. Because both Carter and Obama were afraid it would kill their chances for a second term. To be fair, Reagan was able to make the choice at the beginning of his first term, Carter was not. Obama was provided that same chance and instead of righting the ship he decided to force Obama care down our throats rather than addressing the economy and jobs.
    Oh what would you know? You were still shitting yellow in your diaper back then. Talk about hackery, it fucking hillarious that you refuse to recognize the historical fact that the period of stagflation was inherited by Carter from the Nixon/Ford administrations and that it was the policies implemented by Carter's Fed Chair Paul Voelker (which Reagan adopted and continued) that ended it but what ever dude. Keep drinking the kool-aid.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-12-2011)