Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Christian "kindness" helps to remind us what this season REALLY means:

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,676 Times in 7,368 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Default More Christian "kindness" helps to remind us what this season REALLY means:

So much for basic Christian "kindness"...

Fire dept. watches home burn because family didn’t pay fee

Firefighters in one Tenn. county watched this week as a family’s home burned to the ground, refusing to take action to save the structure because the residents had not paid their yearly $75 fee.

Homeowner Vicky Bell told a reporter with NBC affiliate station Local 6 WPSD that she immediately called 9-1-1 when the fire began, and emergency crews rushed to the scene.

Unfortunately for Bell, once firefighters arrived they realized that the family had not contributed to the department this year, so they stood down — exactly as instructed to by the City of South Fulton’s “pay for spray” policy.

Due to budget cuts, residents of rural areas outside the city limits have to pay the city for fire protection, or face potential disaster.

Shocking as that sounds, it is not unheard of in Obion County: the very same thing happened in Oct. of last year, even as the homeowner frantically offered to pay anything if they’d help save her home.

“We are a city fire department,” city manager Jeff Vowell said at the time. “We are responsible for the City of South Fulton and we offer a subscription (to rural residents). If they choose not to, we can’t make them.”

The policy has been publicly condemned by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF), which called South Fulton’s practice “ill-advised” and “unsafe.”

“[Firefighters] shouldn’t be forced to check a list before running out the door to see which homeowners have paid up,” the IAFF said.

In a similarly shocking incident this past August, police and firemen in Alameda, Calif. stood by and watched a man drown because they did not have enough money to pay for shore-to-water rescue certifications.

They later recruited a civilian to retrieve the man’s lifeless body from the surf, and officials cited the incident as reason to change their policies.

The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of South Fulton, Tenn.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

It's quite possible I read over it but where did it say anything about Christians?

Edit: If this is a similar story to what happened last year someone could probably grave dig threads and pull it up. I believe a couple were started. I can't imagine people's opinion will have changed much from then.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-07-2011)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I thought the same thing Cawacko. I just figured someone must have read "Tennessee" and interpreted that as "Christian." As a volunteer firefighter, this is a stupid policy. I read about this yesterday and remember the incident from last year too. Dumb.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

despite the fact that 'christianity' isn't anywhere in the article, I find it extremely ironic that liberals are bitching about needing to raise taxes and if you don't like higher taxes, don't use gov services. yet we're bitching about that very thing because these people didn't pay a gov fee and had their house burn down. irony
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's quite possible I read over it but where did it say anything about Christians?

Edit: If this is a similar story to what happened last year someone could probably grave dig threads and pull it up. I believe a couple were started. I can't imagine people's opinion will have changed much from then.
    Well, unless you can show me stats indicating this one county is predominantly Muslim, then I'm betting most of those Firefightes, not to mention the County Officials in charge of putting those reprehensible policies in place, call themselves Christians.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    despite the fact that 'christianity' isn't anywhere in the article, I find it extremely ironic that liberals are bitching about needing to raise taxes and if you don't like higher taxes, don't use gov services. yet we're bitching about that very thing because these people didn't pay a gov fee and had their house burn down. irony
    We get lectured to, over and over, that this country was founded on and our laws based on "Christian Principles".

I'm just pointing out that those "principles" don't look very "Christian" when they allow the people entrusted with putting out fires to stand by while someone's home and everything they own BURNS TO THE GROUND.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zappasguitar For This Post:

apple0154 (12-09-2011)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wonder if this was a conservative Republican family who voted against increasing taxes and thus instead of being pitied (sp?) should be used as example of what happens as a result?

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,978 Times in 32,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    Well, unless you can show me stats indicating this one county is predominantly Muslim, then I'm betting most of those Firefightes, not to mention the County Officials in charge of putting those reprehensible policies in place, call themselves Christians.
    you do have a point.....that's the same logic I use to say that you're a Christian.....after all, you live in the United States and it's predominantly Christian......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Well, in that case, unless you can show me stats indicating this one county is predominantly Republican, then I'm betting most of those Firefighters, not to mention the County Officials in charge of putting those reprehensible policies in place, call themselves Democrats.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We get lectured to, over and over, that this country was founded on and our laws based on "Christian Principles".

I'm just pointing out that those "principles" don't look very "Christian" when they allow the people entrusted with putting out fires to stand by while someone's home and everything they own BURNS TO THE GROUND.
    Lifes a bitch.....if you don't pay for the goods or a service, you don't get the goods or the service.....is that news to pinheads?....Life-101
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

The Dude (12-08-2011)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Well, in that case, unless you can show me stats indicating this one county is predominantly Republican, then I'm betting most of those Firefighters, not to mention the County Officials in charge of putting those reprehensible policies in place, call themselves Democrats.....

South Fulton City Officials
    David Crocker Mayor 2008-2012
    Charles Moody City CommissionerWard 1 2008-2012
    Tony Ray Perry City CommissionerWard 2 2006-2010
    Thomas Pettigrew City CommissionerWard 3 2006-2010
    Keith Curlin City CommissionerWard 4 2008-2012

http://www.obiongop.com/?page_id=85

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zappasguitar For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-08-2011), Liberty (12-07-2011)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Lifes a bitch.....if you don't pay for the goods or a service, you don't get the goods or the service.....is that news to pinheads?....Life-101
    How much did Jesus charge the multitude he fed?

Nice to see you highlighting those Christian teachings for all to see.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Since we are surmising about religion here we could channel our inner Eric Cartman and his 'tolerance' for other religions by guessing that the family was Jewish and too cheap to pay the fee or maybe the firefighters were Jewish and wouldn't do the work without getting paid.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How much did Jesus charge the multitude he fed?

Nice to see you highlighting those Christian teachings for all to see.

I never saw the bill.....and thats assuming you actually believe in those myths..........do you ?
    and,
    Why would I be highlighting Christian teachings?
    or Jewish or Muslim or Buddhist for that matter....???
    Did you get the impression I was a minister of some sort ?

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Since we are surmising about religion here we could channel our inner Eric Cartman and his 'tolerance' for other religions by guessing that the family was Jewish and too cheap to pay the fee or maybe the firefighters were Jewish and wouldn't do the work without getting paid.