Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Turns out Obama was right!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,676 Times in 7,368 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Default Turns out Obama was right!

I can't wait to start reading all the hysterical spinning that will be done to these latest numbers by hateful Righties so they can continue to demonize Obama...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Employment growth picked up speed in November and the jobless rate dropped to a 2-1/2 year low of 8.6 percent, further evidence the economic recovery was gaining momentum.

Nonfarm payrolls increased 120,000 last month, the Labor Department said on Friday, in line with economists’ expectations for a gain of 122,000.

The relative strength of the report was also bolstered by revisions to the employment counts for September and October to show 72,000 more jobs created than previously reported.

While part of the decline in the unemployment rate from 9.0 percent in October was due to people leaving the labor force, the household survey from which the jobless rate is derived also showed solid gains in employment

The unemployment rate had been expected to hold at 9 percent.

“The labor market is gradually healing. It’s a glacial pace, but we are taking small steps in the right direction,” said Ryan Sweet, a senior economist at Moody’s Analytics in West Chester, Pennsylvania. He made the comments before the release of the report.

2. The Following User Groans At zappasguitar For This Awful Post:

Rationalist (12-05-2011)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

There is good and bad news here. Unemployment down. Labor participation rate down. Employment-population rate up. +140,000 private sector jobs added. -20,000 government jobs. Still not enough:

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

If you read the whole article Zap part of the reason for the drop is due to the number of people, 315,000, who quit looking for work.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45521793

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

DamnYankee (12-05-2011)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    I can't wait to start reading all the hysterical spinning that will be done to these latest numbers by hateful Righties so they can continue to demonize Obama...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Employment growth picked up speed in November and the jobless rate dropped to a 2-1/2 year low of 8.6 percent, further evidence the economic recovery was gaining momentum.

Nonfarm payrolls increased 120,000 last month, the Labor Department said on Friday, in line with economists’ expectations for a gain of 122,000.

The relative strength of the report was also bolstered by revisions to the employment counts for September and October to show 72,000 more jobs created than previously reported.

While part of the decline in the unemployment rate from 9.0 percent in October was due to people leaving the labor force, the household survey from which the jobless rate is derived also showed solid gains in employment

The unemployment rate had been expected to hold at 9 percent.

“The labor market is gradually healing. It’s a glacial pace, but we are taking small steps in the right direction,” said Ryan Sweet, a senior economist at Moody’s Analytics in West Chester, Pennsylvania. He made the comments before the release of the report.
    As Dung stated, you have to look at what caused the drop to 8.6%. 120k new jobs doesn't drop the unemployment rate by 0.4%. It dropped because people in the survey stopped looking to the tune of 315k. Even that doesn't explain the full 0.4%. Which is why some economists are being cautious with how they interpret the data.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    As Dung stated, you have to look at what caused the drop to 8.6%. 120k new jobs doesn't drop the unemployment rate by 0.4%. It dropped because people in the survey stopped looking to the tune of 315k. Even that doesn't explain the full 0.4%. Which is why some economists are being cautious with how they interpret the data.
    I'm not saying the employment problem is solved and let's throw a party...I'm just saying this is some good economic news.

8. The Following User Groans At zappasguitar For This Awful Post:

Rationalist (12-04-2011)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    There is good and bad news here. Unemployment down. Labor participation rate down. Employment-population rate up. +140,000 private sector jobs added. -20,000 government jobs. Still not enough:

No, not enough but it is a good start...nice to see.

10. The Following User Groans At zappasguitar For This Awful Post:

Rationalist (12-04-2011)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zappasguitar For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-02-2011)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wish I could share your optimism. At this rate we might get back to full employment by the end of the decade.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not saying the employment problem is solved and let's throw a party...I'm just saying this is some good economic news.
    The 120k new jobs is decent and it is certainly more welcome than anything less, but when the unemployment rate drops because people give up, that is where I would caution looking at this as good news. What the survey won't tell us is WHY people are giving up. It just doesn't go into that level of detail. If they gave up because there just isn't anything out there that tells one story. If they gave up because they will only accept the job/salary they want, that tells another. That is why many are cautious. We don't know. For now I would say this is good in terms of perception. The public doesn't tend to know how the unemployment rate is calculated. For those that pay attention to the actual number, it could boost confidence in the direction we are heading.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here's decent piece that points out all the good in the most recent jobs report. Obviously, things are getting better, but unemployment is still way too high, and things have to pick up considerably for us to get back to levels that could be considered "good."

Edit: For some reason, I cannot paste the link. In any event, you can find it on this NY Times blog: economix.blogs.nytimes.com

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

how does this make obama right?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018. 3 For This Post:

Rationalist (12-04-2011)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

How bout what a hard core democrat says. 200,000 new jobs counting previous revisions. Boo fucking yah!!
    The stock market is flat this year, more often than not the following year is double digits up. This would give Obama 3 of 4 years in double digits, coupled with any more down tick in unemployment he's reelected.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree, Zappa, it is better than the rate shooting up. It makes people more confident, more confidence spurs growth, growth creates jobs.

Merry Christmas, I say.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    Here's decent piece that points out all the good in the most recent jobs report. Obviously, things are getting better, but unemployment is still way too high, and things have to pick up considerably for us to get back to levels that could be considered "good."

Edit: For some reason, I cannot paste the link. In any event, you can find it on this NY Times blog: economix.blogs.nytimes.com
    Well, newts got a plan, bring back child labor! Force those under privileged kids to work, it will teach them responsibility. Something they aren't learning from their parents who both work two jobs!

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If you read the whole article Zap part of the reason for the drop is due to the number of people, 315,000, who quit looking for work.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45521793
    Why read the whole thing? There might be uncomfortable information like that included and that would wreck the excitement that people are getting from people getting seasonal retail jobs.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

DamnYankee (12-05-2011)

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Well, newts got a plan, bring back child labor! Force those under privileged kids to work, it will teach them responsibility. Something they aren't learning from their parents who both work two jobs!
    And the great part of his plan is in that in order to put the kids to work, he's going to put their dad's out of work.

So this is win-win baby! I will tell ya, that Newt, he's a thinker. A big thinker! He thinks big. That guy has more ideas before 7 am than most of us will have in our whole lives. Our whole lives!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2016.11 For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-02-2011)