Default The Score Card

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeMartMan View Post
    Well well. A blast from the past. By design or by default its good to see new 'old' blood.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-26-2011)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Looking at thing currently, the Democrats look like they'd be quite lucky to retain the senate. Then again, in 2009 it looked practically impossible for the Democrats to lose the house. The 2006, 2008, and 2010 electoral seasons were strangely dramatic compared to what we're used to seeing in the House. I think we're seeing a change in the voting patterns of the US away from individual (which will normally produce all small changes in partisan alignment) to partisan (which will produce large swings form one party to the other) voting patterns. In the UK, it's uncommon for there not to be 100 seat changes in every election, while in the US it's almost unheard of due to the fact that US voters prefer incumbents hugely, which provides an electoral anchor.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
    Looking at thing currently, the Democrats look like they'd be quite lucky to retain the senate. Then again, in 2009 it looked practically impossible for the Democrats to lose the house. The 2006, 2008, and 2010 electoral seasons were strangely dramatic compared to what we're used to seeing in the House. I think we're seeing a change in the voting patterns of the US away from individual (which will normally produce all small changes in partisan alignment) to partisan (which will produce large swings form one party to the other) voting patterns. In the UK, it's uncommon for there not to be 100 seat changes in every election, while in the US it's almost unheard of due to the fact that US voters prefer incumbents hugely, which provides an electoral anchor.
    To quote someone else:
    Let's just look at the score so far:

1 (Republican) seat in New York's 26th district went to a Democrat.

2 (Republican) seats in Wisconsin recall election went to Democrats.

3 Democrats held on this their seats in that same recall despite all the money oozing in to those races from people like the Koch brothers.

4 Republican narrowly held on to their seats, even with big money and being in safe areas, they almost lost.

Lets add up those wins, there have been 6 Democratic victories to 4 Republican. Keep in mind that 7 of those races were in solid Republican districts which should have never gone to the Democrats, but they did. Somehow Republicans are trying to spin these elections as Republican victories, but last I checked, 6 wins beats 4. Could you imagine a ball game with the same score and the team with the 4 score claiming victory? They would be laughed off the field, which is what is going to happen come the 2012 election.

In the light of all that, how can anyone think that 2012 will be anything but the year of the Democratic Party? The Nation has seen what the Republicans stand for and the Nation is not happy.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Well well. A blast from the past. By design or by default its good to see new 'old' blood.
    Well, thank you, I was so taken aback by your signature line that I almost missed the real post.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeMartMan View Post
    To quote someone else:
    Let's just look at the score so far:

1 (Republican) seat in New York's 26th district went to a Democrat.

2 (Republican) seats in Wisconsin recall election went to Democrats.

3 Democrats held on this their seats in that same recall despite all the money oozing in to those races from people like the Koch brothers.

4 Republican narrowly held on to their seats, even with big money and being in safe areas, they almost lost.

Lets add up those wins, there have been 6 Democratic victories to 4 Republican. Keep in mind that 7 of those races were in solid Republican districts which should have never gone to the Democrats, but they did. Somehow Republicans are trying to spin these elections as Republican victories, but last I checked, 6 wins beats 4. Could you imagine a ball game with the same score and the team with the 4 score claiming victory? They would be laughed off the field, which is what is going to happen come the 2012 election.

In the light of all that, how can anyone think that 2012 will be anything but the year of the Democratic Party? The Nation has seen what the Republicans stand for and the Nation is not happy.
    I have to correct your score. Of the 4 Republicans who defeated their recalls only one won by a narrow margin. The other three won by significant margins.

I think your reading far to much into these small regional elections. The vote on Ohio SB#5 will be a better indicator of Republican over reach as it will be a State wide election.

On the other hand many white rural Americans will not be able to reconcle themselves to an African American President. That gives Republicans a very solid base to work with.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I have to correct your score. Of the 4 Republicans who defeated their recalls only one won by a narrow margin. The other three won by significant margins.

I think your reading far to much into these small regional elections. The vote on Ohio SB#5 will be a better indicator of Republican over reach as it will be a State wide election.

On the other hand many white rural Americans will not be able to reconcle themselves to an African American President. That gives Republicans a very solid base to work with.
    Many other americans (white, black, purple, rural, urban, whatever) are now clearly able to see that the GOP serves only 2% of the population at best, and that the benefit to those 2% comes from the wallets and lifespans of the other 98%.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.