Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough Libertarian Critique of Conservatives

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Rough Libertarian Critique of Conservatives

Unfortunately a lot of truth in what is stated here.

Reason.com Editor Nick Gillespie writes: "...it's fascinating to me that the conservative movement can't recognize some elemental facts. First and foremost that the world they're trying to create, especially when it comes to intolerance of alternative lifestyles, is never going to happen. And that by insisting, as Sen. James DeMint and Rep. Jim Jordan have, that you can't be a fiscal conservative without being a social conservative, you're alienating all those independents who just might give the GOP a second chance at running the federal budget...the fiscal con wing was exposed as just that, a total con job. Under Bush and a supposedly conservative Congress, federal outlays jacked up about 60 percent in real terms. Second, defense cons blew it. They had two wars to show themselves as effective, and they screwed the pooch, wagged the dog...whatever. After a good, long ride at the top, they did nothing well. They didn't create a coherent foreign policy that suggests when the U.S. might intervene and when it shouldn't (the Global War on Terrorism is not simply vague, it provides no stopping point for Wilsonian interventionism, which is decidedly not conservative). And third, social cons have lost, period. Gays are not going back in the closet and demands for equal standing under the law are logically coherent from a conservative POV. Gays didn't destroy marriage or the family (neither of which is in ruins, by the way, but that's another issue)."

http://reason.org/news/show/reason-a...rivatization-r

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

/MSG/ (08-02-2011), Minister of Truth (08-02-2011), Mott the Hoople (08-01-2011), Phantasmal (08-01-2011), Rationalist (08-03-2011), Rune (08-01-2011), Socrtease (08-02-2011)

3. #2 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    ... by insisting, as Sen. James DeMint and Rep. Jim Jordan have, that you can't be a fiscal conservative without being a social conservative, you're alienating all those independents who just might give the GOP a second chance...

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Hey Troll, we agreed you would not post on theads I start so GTFO!

5. #4 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Hey Troll, we agreed you would not post on theads I start so GTFO!

6. #5 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

This insistence that you must be a social conservative in order to be a true conservative is just bullshit.

I agree that the conservatives are blowing their chances here. Far fewer people are interested in the social conservative agenda than are interested in conservative fiscal policies.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Annie (08-03-2011), Phantasmal (08-01-2011), Rune (08-01-2011)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Reason.com Editor Nick Gillespie writes: "...it's fascinating to me that the conservative movement can't recognize some elemental facts. First and foremost that the world they're trying to create, especially when it comes to intolerance of alternative lifestyles, is never going to happen. And that by insisting, as Sen. James DeMint and Rep. Jim Jordan have, that you can't be a fiscal conservative without being a social conservative, you're alienating all those independents who just might give the GOP a second chance at running the federal budget...the fiscal con wing was exposed as just that, a total con job. Under Bush and a supposedly conservative Congress, federal outlays jacked up about 60 percent in real terms. Second, defense cons blew it. They had two wars to show themselves as effective, and they screwed the pooch, wagged the dog...whatever. After a good, long ride at the top, they did nothing well. They didn't create a coherent foreign policy that suggests when the U.S. might intervene and when it shouldn't (the Global War on Terrorism is not simply vague, it provides no stopping point for Wilsonian interventionism, which is decidedly not conservative). And third, social cons have lost, period. Gays are not going back in the closet and demands for equal standing under the law are logically coherent from a conservative POV. Gays didn't destroy marriage or the family (neither of which is in ruins, by the way, but that's another issue)."

A FUCKING MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wish I could give about 50 rep points for posting this. Gillespie has flat out nailed it. He has described perfectly how the republican party has proactively alienated people like me.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    This insistence that you must be a social conservative in order to be a true conservative is just bullshit.

I agree that the conservatives are blowing their chances here. Far fewer people are interested in the social conservative agenda than are interested in conservative fiscal policies.
    The whole idea that you have to be some ideological anything and pass some god damned litmus test to be a Republican at all is total bullshit. All you need is to share are some common values and common goals and a willingness to compromise to achieve those ends. Besides, social conservatism has been and is currently on the wrong side of history. It's why I have never been a social conservative. In today's times social conservatism cannot stand up to the forces of freedom. Individual freedom and liberty will win every time and our own history has shown us that time and time again. It showed it 1783 and again in 1865 and again in 1964 when the forces of social conservatism were utterly rejected by the American people.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

It looks like a couple more posts like that and we'll all be Conservatives here.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

12. #10 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I wish I could give about 50 rep points for posting this. Gillespie has flat out nailed it. He has described perfectly how the republican party has proactively alienated people like me.
    I think the GOP had better figure this out or they will be in trouble for quite a while.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

How many are like that?
    Let's not forget, Obama is not for gay marriage or legal pot.
    He's socially conservative without being a blowhard ala Bach to mom about it.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think the GOP had better figure this out or they will be in trouble for quite a while.
    I've been saying that since 96.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    How many are like that?
    Let's not forget, Obama is not for gay marriage or legal pot.
    He's socially conservative without being a blowhard ala Bach to mom about it.
    He aint exactly radically opposed to them either.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    It looks like a couple more posts like that and we'll all be Conservatives here.
    despite your progressive rhetoric, you're a Libertarian deep down inside. So is Mott, though he refuses to quite come out of the closet yet. I think Mr. Gillespie just gave him a little shove though.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

And I say let them. Let social conservatives destroy their political power. It will simply make the Libertarian ascension (as is our destiny) that much easier.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com