Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 226

Thread: Recommend Political Books You Think Everybody Should Read Here

  1. #31 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    79,707
    Thanks
    2,023
    Thanked 11,784 Times in 7,695 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 461 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    http://www.amazon.com/Full-Black-Thr...2378743&sr=8-1

    A thriller featuring a former SEAL Team 6 member...

    An awesome "fictional" account of the inner workings of the government and covert ops. Definitely worth the read.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  2. #32 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 109 Times in 88 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 63 Times in 52 Posts

  3. #33 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    For some the road to serfdom is short indeed. A fact that the Koch brothers know only too well and profit from every minute of their manipulative lives.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  4. #34 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 109 Times in 88 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 63 Times in 52 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    For some the road to serfdom is short indeed. A fact that the Koch brothers know only too well and profit from every minute of their manipulative lives.
    Isn't that the reason why people write books? To profit from them.

  5. #35 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    Isn't that the reason why people write books? To profit from them.
    For goodness sake think before you react.
    Look at the context and then understand that 'profit' is not confined to money but includes any advantage. 'to profit from every minute of their manipulative lives' focuses on manipulation.

    Surely there is no point in my labouring of this point. Just go back and read it again.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  6. #36 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    96,394
    Thanks
    49,286
    Thanked 29,751 Times in 22,769 Posts
    Groans
    40,132
    Groaned 4,297 Times in 4,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    I would wholeheartedly recommend this book if you want to get a real flavour for how the US has behaved in the post war years.

    Review

    A fine stylist, a canny controversialist and a serious journalist of modern history. One never tangles with him over historical or economic facts. He has turned this into a book... well-written, an easy read and formidably-argued. I think it is an important subject, not just as 20th-century history, but as commentary on the modern US mindset. --Matthew Parris

    Product Description

    American incomprehension of the outside world has been the chief problem in international affairs since the end of World War II. In America and the Imperialism of Ignorance, veteran political journalist Andrew Alexander constructs a meticulous case, including evidence gleaned from the steady opening up of Soviet archives, demonstrating why this is so. From starting the Cold War to revisiting unlearned lessons upon Cuba and Vietnam, the Middle East has latterly become the arena in which the American foreign policy approach proved wretchedly consistent. This has created six decades in which war was not the last resort of diplomacy but an early option, and where peace and order breaking out was thought to be the natural conclusion of military intervention. Alexander traces this shoot-first tendency from 1945, arguing that on a grand scale the Cold War was a red herring in which the US and her proxies set out to counter a Soviet expansionism that never truly existed, and that by the time of the George W Bush era, the Industrial-Military-Complex was in office offering little hope of a change in approach.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/America-Impe...2444059&sr=8-1

  7. #37 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom prendergast View Post
    I would wholeheartedly recommend this book if you want to get a real flavour for how the US has behaved in the post war years.

    Review

    A fine stylist, a canny controversialist and a serious journalist of modern history. One never tangles with him over historical or economic facts. He has turned this into a book... well-written, an easy read and formidably-argued. I think it is an important subject, not just as 20th-century history, but as commentary on the modern US mindset. --Matthew Parris

    Product Description

    American incomprehension of the outside world has been the chief problem in international affairs since the end of World War II. In America and the Imperialism of Ignorance, veteran political journalist Andrew Alexander constructs a meticulous case, including evidence gleaned from the steady opening up of Soviet archives, demonstrating why this is so. From starting the Cold War to revisiting unlearned lessons upon Cuba and Vietnam, the Middle East has latterly become the arena in which the American foreign policy approach proved wretchedly consistent. This has created six decades in which war was not the last resort of diplomacy but an early option, and where peace and order breaking out was thought to be the natural conclusion of military intervention. Alexander traces this shoot-first tendency from 1945, arguing that on a grand scale the Cold War was a red herring in which the US and her proxies set out to counter a Soviet expansionism that never truly existed, and that by the time of the George W Bush era, the Industrial-Military-Complex was in office offering little hope of a change in approach.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/America-Impe...2444059&sr=8-1
    Not going to be particularly popular in the land of the free. Partly because everyone at all interested will be waiting for the only yank who knows how to read to visit their trailer park.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

    Primavera (08-04-2011)

  9. #38 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    74,991
    Thanks
    15,268
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    18,546
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Not going to be particularly popular in the land of the free. Partly because everyone at all interested will be waiting for the only yank who knows how to read to visit their trailer park.
    Just as soon as he returns from England; where he was teaching those of even a little intelligence, on how to brush their teeth.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.


  10. #39 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    96,394
    Thanks
    49,286
    Thanked 29,751 Times in 22,769 Posts
    Groans
    40,132
    Groaned 4,297 Times in 4,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Just as soon as he returns from England; where he was teaching those of even a little intelligence, on how to brush their teeth.
    This made me laugh because it is mostly true about the average American's knowledge about the world. Save the Wales.

    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...0023519AAw84Wd

  11. #40 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    79,707
    Thanks
    2,023
    Thanked 11,784 Times in 7,695 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 461 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom prendergast View Post
    This made me laugh because it is mostly true about the average American's knowledge about the world. Save the Wales.

    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...0023519AAw84Wd
    Tom, America was named after Amerigo Vespucci who created the first maps of the continents, not after some Welshman.

    This guy:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

    The expeditions became widely known in Europe after two accounts attributed to Vespucci were published between 1502 and 1504. In 1507, Martin Waldseemüller produced a world map on which he named the new continent America after Vespucci's first name, Amerigo. In an accompanying book, Waldseemüller published one of the Vespucci accounts, which led to criticism that Vespucci was trying to upset Christopher Columbus' glory. However, the rediscovery in the 18th century of other letters by Vespucci, primarily the Soderini Letter, has led to the view that the early published accounts could be fabrications, not by Vespucci, but by others.
    It's fricking hilarious that the Brit got the history wrong on his mocking answer about how Americans don't know their history.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  12. #41 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    96,394
    Thanks
    49,286
    Thanked 29,751 Times in 22,769 Posts
    Groans
    40,132
    Groaned 4,297 Times in 4,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Tom, America was named after Amerigo Vespucci who created the first maps of the continents, not after some Welshman.

    This guy:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci



    It's fricking hilarious that the Brit got the history wrong on his mocking answer about how Americans don't know their history.
    There is a school of thought that says that Richard Amerik gave his name to America, I personally don't know one way or another and I doubt you do either.

    http://www.britannia.com/history/naremphist2.html

  13. #42 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    79,707
    Thanks
    2,023
    Thanked 11,784 Times in 7,695 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 461 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom prendergast View Post
    There is a school of thought that says that Richard Amerik gave his name to America, I personally don't know one way or another and I doubt you do either.

    http://www.britannia.com/history/naremphist2.html
    Actually I do. You can actually read the book, and the argument in stuff from the time period arguing that Amerigo was trying to "usurp" Columbus. They spoke of 'Amerigo's" maps' and then later when the newest world map was printed, the guy simply named the new continent after the dude who gave him the mapping...

    It's pretty well documented and everything. This is the first I've heard a Brit try to claim the continent in the name of some Welshman, and it was funny to read.

    And my question would be... If you nation is so riddled with free dentistry, why do you hate to take advantage of it? Are there orthodontists? What about teeth whitening with lasers?

    (and yes, we are making jokes based on dudes we see on tv and stereotypes just to get your goat.)
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  14. #43 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    96,394
    Thanks
    49,286
    Thanked 29,751 Times in 22,769 Posts
    Groans
    40,132
    Groaned 4,297 Times in 4,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Actually I do. You can actually read the book, and the argument in stuff from the time period arguing that Amerigo was trying to "usurp" Columbus. They spoke of 'Amerigo's" maps' and then later when the newest world map was printed, the guy simply named the new continent after the dude who gave him the mapping...

    It's pretty well documented and everything. This is the first I've heard a Brit try to claim the continent in the name of some Welshman, and it was funny to read.

    And my question would be... If you nation is so riddled with free dentistry, why do you hate to take advantage of it? Are there orthodontists? What about teeth whitening with lasers?

    (and yes, we are making jokes based on dudes we see on tv and stereotypes just to get your goat.)
    So you say, you already admitted that you've never heard of Richard Amerik yet you can claim without any doubt the providence of the name. As for the teeth, do you really want to be associated with the likes of Topspin, Damn Skanky and others who are incapable of original humour so fall back on stereotypes dating back to WW2. Seeing as you care so much, here is a list of 215 dentists in the Sheffield area. It isn't the full number but it gives you some idea.

    http://www.accessplace.com/dentist/s.../sheffield.htm
    Last edited by Primavera; 08-04-2011 at 01:16 PM.

  15. #44 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    79,707
    Thanks
    2,023
    Thanked 11,784 Times in 7,695 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 461 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom prendergast View Post
    So you say, you already admitted that you've never heard of Richard Amerik yet you can claim without any doubt the providence of the name. As for the teeth, do you really want to associated with the likes of Topspin, Damn Skanky and others who are incapable of original humour so fall back on stereotypes dating back to WW2. Seeing as you care so much, here is a list of 215 dentists in the Sheffield area. It isn't the full number but it gives you some idea.

    http://www.accessplace.com/dentist/s.../sheffield.htm
    Are any of them orthodontists?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  16. #45 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    96,394
    Thanks
    49,286
    Thanked 29,751 Times in 22,769 Posts
    Groans
    40,132
    Groaned 4,297 Times in 4,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Are any of them orthodontists?

    At least 4 of these are within two miles of where I live, both my sons went to Orthoscene which is not only brilliant it is free for under 18s.

    http://www.yell.com/s/orthodontists-...yorkshire.html

Similar Threads

  1. Books
    By Lowaicue in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 12:49 PM
  2. I recommend owing taxes instead of getting a return
    By Chapdog in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
  3. liberals read more books
    By uscitizen in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •