Thread: Recommend Political Books You Think Everybody Should Read Here

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Recommend Political Books You Think Everybody Should Read Here

This thread is reserved for book recommendations...

Enjoy
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Annie (07-23-2011)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
    This is known as “bad luck.” - Robert Heinlein

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annie For This Post:

Damocles (07-23-2011)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

anything by judge andrew napolitano
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Argum...1463073&sr=1-1

The Original Argument: The Federalists' Case for the Constitution, Adapted for the 21st Century
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seriously, read Das Kapital.

Because the majority of people who spout all manner of nonsense about 'Marxism' should actually educate themselves as to what Marxism is.

(clue: it is not what Barack Obama thinks, or does, or dreams about when he's smoking a joint on the Whitehouse lawn)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have, though not in German. Also "The Communist Manifesto."
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
    This is known as “bad luck.” - Robert Heinlein

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I have, though not in German. Also "The Communist Manifesto."
    I never associate your posts with half witted attempts to associate things like taxes or democrats with the philosophy of Marx so i'm more than willing to believe you.

Unfortunately, i fear you are the exception.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

Annie (07-24-2011)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Annie (07-24-2011)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Annie (07-24-2011)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    Seriously, read Das Kapital.

Because the majority of people who spout all manner of nonsense about 'Marxism' should actually educate themselves as to what Marxism is.

(clue: it is not what Barack Obama thinks, or does, or dreams about when he's smoking a joint on the Whitehouse lawn)
    To true. I read it when I was in college along with Adam Smith's Capitalism.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I love "The Art of War"... I've read it twice and reference it. One of the first books I downloaded to my phone's "reader" software.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Annie (07-24-2011)

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

For people who truly understand American politics:

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.

Why? Because no book is ever going to persuade any voter to change his or her mind. All the do is preach to the choir, so it would be better for all to read the wit and wisdom of the above.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I love "The Art of War"... I've read it twice and reference it. One of the first books I downloaded to my phone's "reader" software.
    In the original Chinese?

Better to read 'The Hidden Persuaders' by Vance Packard.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.