Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Owning guns is saving your life and property

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

Default Owning guns is saving your life and property

The man, TC Lewis of Kirkland, told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News that he attempted to get the pit bulls away from his dog. But when one of the pit bulls attacked him, Lewis pulled out a gun and shot.

Lewis has a concealed weapons permit.
    __________________________________________________ _

TACOMA, Wash. -- A Tacoma homeowner who caught two intruders breaking into his garage shot them, killing one early Monday morning, police said.

At about 6 a.m., police confirmed to KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Rick Price that a shooting erupted shortly before 5 a.m. between Fawcett Avenue and D Street off South 38th Street.

Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum told KIRO 7 a homeowner shot two men who were breaking into an attached garage at his home.

LAWRENCEVILLE
    — The home intruder and would-be sexual assaulter fatally shot by his victim at her Duluth home Wednesday has a criminal history, police said as they try to piece together how the Alpharetta man chose his target.

Police announced Thursday that it was 34-year-old Israel Perez Puentes who broke into the home at 2844 E. Mount Tabor Circle, reportedly struggling with the 53-year-old female resident as she exited the shower.

Puentes allegedly forced the female into her bedroom at knifepoint, where it is believed he planned to sexually assault her, police said.

During the struggle, the victim was able to retrieve her .22-caliber handgun, shooting Puentes multiple times as he retreated and collapsed in the backyard. He later died at Gwinnett Medical Center, officials said.

On Wednesday, police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter said Puentes’ death appeared to be a justifiable use of force. The victim, who has not been identified, is not expected to face criminal charges.

2. #2 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

You can't believe anything cops say, can you? Just ask Smarter than Few.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

When seconds count the cops are always minutes away.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following User Groans At Damocles For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (05-24-2011)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Canceled2 (05-24-2011), Topspin (05-27-2011)

6. #4 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    When seconds count the cops are always minutes away.
    Or even farther for those of us who live in rural areas.

7. The Following User Groans At For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (05-24-2011)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

The mass ownership of guns reflects either incredible naivety, irrational fear or totally broken society.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (05-24-2011), Topspin (05-27-2011)

10. #6 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Irrational fear FTW.

11. #7 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Blanket statements about ownership of guns?

Most of my guns are involved in some sort of hunting or sport shooting. The ones that don't fit that category are both fun and kept for the same reason I have several fire extinguishers in my house.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

hoplophobes, you crack me up with your attempts to mask your cowardice with claims of irrationality of gun owners.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    The mass ownership of guns reflects either incredible naivety, irrational fear or totally broken society.
    Or it signifies a love of nature and an understanding that a ton of the money we spend to preserve nature comes from hunters. I guess it really depends on how you want to see things. Some people want to believe that they are superior in some way to others so they view everything that somebody else does that is different than what they do as a "flaw" and try to draw negative conclusions for every action they may take. Including something simple like owning a rifle or a handgun. Most people own these without incident, and without nefarious purpose or "fear" as a motivator.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

/MSG/ (05-24-2011)

15. #10 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Or it signifies a love of nature and an understanding that a ton of the money we spend to preserve nature comes from hunters. I guess it really depends on how you want to see things. Some people want to believe that they are superior in some way to others so they view everything that somebody else does that is different than what they do as a "flaw" and try to draw negative conclusions for every action they may take. Including something simple like owning a rifle or a handgun. Most people own these without incident, and without nefarious purpose or "fear" as a motivator.
    That is as clear and concise an explanation as I have seen. Well said, Damo.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Blanket statements about ownership of guns?

Most of my guns are involved in some sort of hunting or sport shooting. The ones that don't fit that category are both fun and kept for the same reason I have several fire extinguishers in my house.
    Never mind this gun nonsense.

Is it usual for the average American to have fire extinguishers in their house? I've never really thought about it before, but i don't think i've ever seen one in anybody's house over here.

17. #12 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

A 15-year-old boy is dead after a gun accidentally discharged

http://www.krtv.com/news/butte-teen-...ntal-shooting/

He was exercising his love of nature....unless you think the gophers shot back.

The good news? His property is safe, presumably.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Guns Guns Guns For This Post:

Topspin (05-27-2011)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    Never mind this gun nonsense.

Is it usual for the average American to have fire extinguishers in their house? I've never really thought about it before, but i don't think i've ever seen one in anybody's house over here.
    I have two in mine and one in my car.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

20. #14 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by \(\(\(\/)/)/ View Post
    A 15-year-old boy is dead after a gun accidentally discharged

http://www.krtv.com/news/butte-teen-...ntal-shooting/

He was exercising his love of nature....unless you think the gophers shot back.

The good news? His property is safe, presumably.
    The bad news is, the kid was stupid with the gun. Follow the basic rules of using guns and this won't happen.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local..._with_chainsaw

"OTSEGO, Mich. (WOOD) - Investigators say Deb Daniels was likely trying to help her husband roll a log out of the way when the chainsaw he was using accidentally cut her neck."

Do we ban chainsaws or do we expect people to use them safely?

21. #15 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Why do hoplophiles act all panicky just because someone posts a few facts about gun ownership and use?