Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strauss-Kahn scandal

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default Strauss-Kahn scandal

there are many who think this is a set up, a conspiracy....

i have no idea and if the past reports about his behavior are true, then it lends credence to the maids alleged story.

what say you?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

multiple choices allowed

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Definitely a set up. How many times have you seen a single member of female staff enter or request entry to a room. I have stayed in hotels from the basest dive to the best 5 star and never, not once, has a single female chambermaid, waitress or anything else entered or tried to gain entry into any room. They always work in pairs. In fact, should you return to your room when they are tidying up, they will immediately leave.
    Strauss-Kahn was known to think with his second brain and had accumulated enemies both in France and internationally. This was a classic honey trap.
    Nevertheless, even under provocation, a man in his position should know when and where to display the blue veined beast. So he is guilty. But there needs to be a full investigation and if the perpetrators of the set up are found they should be prosecuted and hung out to dry.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I'm all for waiting to find out what the actual facts are before convicting a man and destroying his life and career. The evidence I've heard so far, if the media is to be believed, is fairly compelling and Low, you've never spent time in an American hotel. I've had maids come in for service by themselves routinely.

My wife works as a manager in the hotel business here and she assures me too that this is a rather common occurance. In fact my wife had an incidence once where she received a call at the front desk from a room requesting some routine maintenance. She went up to the room, knocked on the door and was let in. The guest who let her in was buck assed naked and monkey drunk. He pointed to the problem in the bath room, turned around and locked the door and then stood by to door. My wife took care of the problem in the bathroom and then left. He let her go with out any futher incident but his standing there by the locked door naked scared the hell out of her and she called the police on the punk and rightfully so. He found out that he had crossed a line when he locked her in the room with him and they frog marched his ass out of there in cuffs. Turned out the guy was just stupid drunk and they released him at the station but he paid a pretty stiff price for his stupidity (He lost his job as he was out of town on company business and the incident was reported to him employer who paid for the room.)

I say we give the man a fair trial.....and then hang him. :-)
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 05-19-2011 at 05:56 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I'm all for waiting to find out what the actual facts are before convicting a man and destroying his life and career. The evidence I've heard so far, if the media is to be believed, is fairly compelling and Low, you've never spent time in an American hotel. I've had maids come in for service by themselves routinely.

My wife works as a manager in the hotel business here and she assures me too that this is a rather common occurance. In fact my wife had an incidence once where she received a call at the front desk from a room requesting some routine maintenance. She went up to the room, knocked on the door and was let in. The guest who let her in was buck assed naked and monkey drunk. He pointed to the problem in the bath room, turned around and locked the door and then stood by to door. My wife took care of the problem in the bathroom and then left. He let her go with out any futher incident but his standing there by the locked door naked scared the hell out of her and she called the police on the punk and rightfully so. He found out that he had crossed a line when he locked her in the room with him and they frog marched his ass out of there in cuffs. Turned out the guy was just stupid drunk and they released him at the station but he paid a pretty stiff price for his stupidity (He lost his job as he was out of town on company business and the incident was reported to him employer who paid for the room.)

I say we give the man a fair trial.....and then hang him. :-)
    I bow to your superior knowledge of the American Hotel industry, but it is a surprised bow. I'm sure the international chains do not permit women to work on their own though. Of course the man must have a fair trial, but while I am sure there might have been daliance or even full knee-trembling it would take a lot to convince me of his guilt as a rapist.
    Look for powerful frogs .... but don't kiss them!

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,530 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Definitely a set up. How many times have you seen a single member of female staff enter or request entry to a room. I have stayed in hotels from the basest dive to the best 5 star and never, not once, has a single female chambermaid, waitress or anything else entered or tried to gain entry into any room. They always work in pairs. In fact, should you return to your room when they are tidying up, they will immediately leave.
    Strauss-Kahn was known to think with his second brain and had accumulated enemies both in France and internationally. This was a classic honey trap.
    Nevertheless, even under provocation, a man in his position should know when and where to display the blue veined beast. So he is guilty. But there needs to be a full investigation and if the perpetrators of the set up are found they should be prosecuted and hung out to dry.
    What? In every case I've ever seen maids work alone. They do this because they get incentive for number of rooms they can effectively clean, when working a "pair" the other half of the pair could slow them down and take advantage and take money from their plate.

They knock and enter unless you have a do not disturb sign.

Now, accomplished "pairs" are sometimes set up, but they work the Suites, not the regular rooms, and this isn't done most of the time even so.

(BTW - I know a bunch of this because my brother is a manager of a hotel, and my wife was a maid at the Sheraton during her college years).
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

The above may be true where you live, but in the US it is normally just one. To say 'they always work in pairs' is completely false. While some hotels/motels have that system, in the US it is more common to have just one.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    The above may be true where you live, but in the US it is normally just one. To say 'they always work in pairs' is completely false. While some hotels/motels have that system, in the US it is more common to have just one.
    I base it on the fact that I have never seen this (not to say it never happens). I have stayed in hotels in all countries of the UK, Scandinavia, much of Europe, China, Thailand, Philipines (beach hotel in Boracay had single maids), Singapore. So could it further suggest that the people who set it up chose the lax conditions in the US for the sting?
    I am surprised that a nation that gets so worked up about rights and freedoms and encourages cowboy lawyers, should have such retrograde management practices.
    BTW few places that pride themselves on the rule of law, would permit pavement trials as you seem to do. How can this man ever receive a fair trial?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I base it on the fact that I have never seen this (not to say it never happens). I have stayed in hotels in all countries of the UK, Scandinavia, much of Europe, China, Thailand, Philipines (beach hotel in Boracay had single maids), Singapore. So could it further suggest that the people who set it up chose the lax conditions in the US for the sting?
    I am surprised that a nation that gets so worked up about rights and freedoms and encourages cowboy lawyers, should have such retrograde management practices.
    BTW few places that pride themselves on the rule of law, would permit pavement trials as you seem to do. How can this man ever receive a fair trial?
    Fair enough. As I stated, it IS a practice that is found elsewhere, just not typical in the US. To suggest it is 'lax' conditions is a bit of a stretch as the maids knock and if they receive no response then they enter. If they find a situation like this one where someone was in the shower/asleep and simply did not hear the knock, then the maid departs as this one did. Very rarely do they get pulled back into the room and raped as is alleged in this case.

As for the US in general, I do not disagree that we have an affinity in our media for putting these stories all over the news as the public gets entranced with such things. As for a fair trial... I have no doubt that he will get a fair trial based on the evidence. While convictions of innocent people can happen anywhere, I doubt it occurs in the US more so than anywhere else. The prosecution still has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

A French journalist, Tristane Banon, has said Strauss-Kahn assaulted her during an interview in 2002. It appears the maid is not his first...guys like this likely have other sexual assaults in their closet.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Former IMF Chief to be Released on $1M Bail in Alleged Sex Assault on Hotel Maid

Dominique Strauss-Khan was granted $1 million bail and home detention. His arraignment hearing on his indictment is set for June 6.

His attorney had told a New York court he was an 'honorable man' who would not skip bail. He also said the arrangement agreed upon will cost his client $200,000 a month.

The ruling did not free Strauss-Kahn immediately. Authorities need to review and approve the security arrangements involved in his home detention, which lawyers said would be at an apartment rented by his wife. They did not disclose the location of the home.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/19...t-allegations/

french soap operas are so chic

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ok.... what are the odds on this douch bag skipping bail?
    Quote from Cypress:

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by St. Peter View Post
    I think its awesome that a foreign politician destroyed his career while here in the US. I'm not aware of this happening before in my lifetime (unless you count the South African ambassador ). Not only that, but he was presumed to be next in-line for president of France.
    If every dalliance resulted in a ruined career there would be no politicians and no business men to pay the taxes! That is in no way to condone the use of violence or drugs, but having recently been in the company of what I am told was a 'cougar' I can honestly say that these banner waving feminists arent always right.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If every dalliance resulted in a ruined career there would be no politicians and no business men to pay the taxes! That is in no way to condone the use of violence or drugs, but having recently been in the company of what I am told was a 'cougar' I can honestly say that these banner waving feminists arent always right.
    did you pet the cougar?