Thread: Reason is not Rational

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rep. Joe Wilson R View Post
    Or we could ignore global climate change and just let everyone starve to death when the dustbowls take over all arable land.

Would that also suit the globalist elite agenda?
    Yes. Then we'd all be eating Soylent Green...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Minister of Truth (05-17-2011)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Yes. Then we'd all be eating Soylent Green...
    actually, arable land will move north or south depending on which hemisphere you are referring to

however, the effect of diseases and pests during the changeover are ill defined

areas of drought and flood will change and hopefully man will adapt (like he usually does), however, the changeover will be painful and population shifts will be difficult due to national borders
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    actually, arable land will move north or south depending on which hemisphere you are referring to

however, the effect of diseases and pests during the changeover are ill defined

areas of drought and flood will change and hopefully man will adapt (like he usually does), however, the changeover will be painful and population shifts will be difficult due to national borders
    While it may be true that some arable land MAY be gained, there is no predicting whether the result will net increase or decrease.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

If anyone doubts the premise of the OP they have Newt on 'face the nation' this past weekend for consideration. Then they have Newt on Monday, and then they have the republican backlash. Interesting twisting of words and ideas, republicans have become so ideological not only are they politically irrational but now the irrationality has gained the status of commandment.

Oh and don't quote Newt's own words because they too were irrational dependent on the day or hour you quote him. You'll need to check.

As far as global warming, that is fact as temperatures are rising. For all the flat earthers out there, fact is the earth is warming, argue about cause if you like but reality is sometimes reality, at least apart from the republican world.

400,000 year view global warming

James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Video on TED.com
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,326 Times in 9,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rep. Joe Wilson R View Post
    Or we could ignore global climate change and just let everyone starve to death when the dustbowls take over all arable land.

Would that also suit the globalist elite agenda?
    We could create enough food for everyone easily, with modern technology. The food scarcity is falsely created. All our problems are man made, by mass murderers.

there is no will among the elites to truly provide and care for humanity, they are cynical through and through, and expend their efforts trying keep all of humanity "in check". Maybe the aliens make them do it. They sell the rest of us out to keep their power. It's called "realpolitik" or "hegemonic stability". its the current operative meme of the global elites.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trump

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by St. Peter View Post
    Asshate, perhaps you could send an e-mail out to the numerous heads of state, asking them to stop starving their people.
    That populist message is rejected by the brainwashed elitists.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bl. Urban II View Post
    So now the elitists are brainwashed? I thought they were the ones with the suds!
    They are brainwashed and also perpetuate the brainwash. Each one teach one, pull you up the chain, make you feel the pain till you give it out the same.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How does one determine if one is brainwashed ? Can anyone provide specific instructions? I once asked a sociology professor who was arguing mental illness is a social construct what would happen if the social construct one day collapsed? Could it be as Stanley Fish and other language philosophers debate it is all in the words we use, in the community of words, but then without words what would we say. More importantly what would we know we know. Back to how do we determine our mind is fill of dirty laundry and requires washing or is that un-washing?

"We all are born mad. Some remain so." Samuel Beckett
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    How does one determine if one is brainwashed ? Can anyone provide specific instructions? I once asked a sociology professor who was arguing mental illness is a social construct what would happen if the social construct one day collapsed? Could it be as Stanley Fish and other language philosophers debate it is all in the words we use, in the community of words, but then without words what would we say. More importantly what would we know we know. Back to how do we determine our mind is fill of dirty laundry and requires washing or is that un-washing?

"We all are born mad. Some remain so." Samuel Beckett

If you say you believe one thing, but then actively support something different, but merely make a false distinction in language to cover your own hypocrisy, you're probably brainwashed.

For example, people who say they are against race and gender discrimination but still support affirmative action against white males are brainwashed.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    If you say you believe one thing, but then actively support something different, but merely make a false distinction in language to cover your own hypocrisy, you're probably brainwashed.

For example, people who say they are against race and gender discrimination but still support affirmative action against white males are brainwashed.
    The problem with your example is anyone who lives in the real world knows that without AA our current world may not even exist. It forced discrimination out in the open. As the thread topic notes, reason or actions are not always rational if viewed from too narrow a belief system. The sign of sense and intelligence is the ability to hold contrary views and yet remain sane. Believing something doesn't make it true and contingent thought is often required. But here is a piece that sorta supports your position. I would think these people are brainwashed?

"Every Wednesday morning, a group of conspirators meets to plot out how to most effectively attack the federal government. This is not a group of rag-tag terrorists – they wear $2,000 suits and occupy powerful positions in society. But their ideas are politically radical and they do pose a real threat to the normal workings of government in the U.S. They are a group of leading conservatives who believe that government is a malevolent force in society and they have a fierce determination to drastically cut it back. They are convinced that the central problem in our country is too much government – too many social programs, too many regulations, and too much taxation – and they are committed to doing something about it." http://www.governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=9

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was fascinated when I saw this thread, I had forgotten it but recently was re-reading parts of Parfit's book. Parfit moved on to 'What Matters' which he put online for a few years asking for comments or working out his thoughts on what matters. If you check Youtube, his sons did some short interviews to introduce you to one of the thinkers of our times. He will make you think should you enter.

Interesting the link I posted still works. Edge is an excellent site. "The puzzle is, why are humans so amazingly bad at reasoning in some contexts, and so amazingly good in others?"

"It is not enough to ask, Will my act harm other people? Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people? The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great." Derek Parfit

http://philosophynow.org/issues/87/O...y_Derek_Parfit