1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default Royal Wedding frenzy turns turns off many Americans

Royal Wedding frenzy turns turns off many Americans

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110428...20110428032002

the UK is buzzing with a wild frenzy over a wedding and folks like tom and lowiq have the nerve to bitch about a one day mass media hoopla over obama's b/c....so americans are focused on a constitutional issue....and thats bad (granted the constitutional issue should not be in question), but the brits going gaga over a wedding is....well....above the american riff raff....

it is seriously comical how they think they are so much better than us...thankfully we are no longer under the british boot!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Royal Wedding frenzy turns turns off many Americans

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110428...20110428032002

the UK is buzzing with a wild frenzy over a wedding and folks like tom and lowiq have the nerve to bitch about a one day mass media hoopla over obama's b/c....so americans are focused on a constitutional issue....and thats bad (granted the constitutional issue should not be in question), but the brits going gaga over a wedding is....well....above the american riff raff....

it is seriously comical how they think they are so much better than us...thankfully we are no longer under the british boot!
    Read my blog
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 885 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

Why do their teeth look so clean?

Don't the britts have yellow teeth?
    Man knows no master save creating heaven,
    or those whom choice and common good ordain.

Demacrat--Republican---------------------Center-------------------------------------------Libartarian
    Marxist, and little freedom--------------------------------------------------Anti-Marxist-Much Liberty

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. . . One is by
    sword. . . The other is by debt.

John Adams 1826

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I got disgusted and had to turn off the news. I mean, WTF? Who cares about people I don't know getting married?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Rationalist (04-29-2011)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post

Only the gawking underclass~

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post

Just goes to show you cannot rely on stereotypes. I once met a thin yank!

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

From the brief snatches of 'news' i haven't managed to avoid, it appears as if London has been colonised by halfwit Americans seeking to "get close to the memory of Diana" and all that type of bidness.

Luckily there are more than enough native fuckwits, accompanied by their dogs dressed in wedding outfits (no hat, for shame), union jack bowler hats (perhaps the worst sort of bowler hat) and eternal gormless expressions, to give the foreigners a run for their money.

Personally i am simply looking forward to the moment when people on the telly stop telling me that i am excitedly looking forward to seeing some woman's dress.

Good Day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (04-29-2011)

10. #8 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

It was a bizarre news day. They kept flipping between royal wedding preparations and the devastation of the tornadoes in the southeast.

"People are camping out to get a good spot to watch the royal procession"

"Shelters are overflowing with victims of the storm"

"Comparisons between Dianna and Kate are inevitable"

"Death toll in Tuscaloosa reaches 36, with over 200 dead in the southeastern US."

But the best quote for the day came from the Tuscaloosa News talking to a local woman: "Honnicutt said the wind roared over her home, it sounded like a tornado as it was going over". (you think?)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

We're simply ALL about wedding, so we don't have to care what else is happening in the world, which is almost certainly nothing.

Note to Colonel Gadaffi and President Assad: This is a very good time to kill lots of your people.

I've hardly heard a word about the tornadoes on our 'news', but when there's a chance of spotting Posh Spice Beckhams near Westminster Abbey or the opportunity to talk at length to a deranged housewife from Scunthorpe about the, Lionel Richie style, life-size Williams and Kates she has fashioned from toothpaste tubes, then compaints of trivialisation of the media can swiftly be cast aside.

(Not making light of this terrible tornado business, WB. Hope your spot manages to get back on its feet quicksmart).

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

I woke up to this shit on the TV, good thing the wife had fallen asleep so I could turn on Big Cat Diary
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Bestowed by Queen Elizabeth II, Price William's grandmother has given him the title of Duke and Kate Middleton the title of Duchess of Cambridge.

In addition to the dukedom William also became the Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus, which means Middleton will become the Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus.

That makes three titles each for the royal couple.
    http://royalwedding.aol.com/2011/04/.../?ncid=webmail

Ahhh, having ones own Dukedom. It's a thought that ran through every guy's mind at the High School Prom.

"May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Bestowed by Queen Elizabeth II, Price William's grandmother has given him the title of Duke and Kate Middleton the title of Duchess of Cambridge.

In addition to the dukedom William also became the Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus, which means Middleton will become the Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus.

That makes three titles each for the royal couple.
    http://royalwedding.aol.com/2011/04/.../?ncid=webmail

Ahhh, having ones own Dukedom. It's a thought that ran through every guy's mind at the High School Prom.

Well, now it is all over bar the kissing. And, despite the horrendous flatulence issuing from the mouths of journos and crowds alike, we out did Disney. Mind you Kate would have made a passable Snow White!
    I doubt that there is a nation on earth who could come close. Thank you America, Australia, Canada et al for sending your sqealing masses to spend their hard earned dollars with us.
    I hope they will be happy, but then I hope all newlyweds will be happy.
    The only thing that marred the celebrations was the appearance of the wicked witch, or Dobbin as I call her. Funny she kept looking over her shoulder as if she thought she should have been hauling a milk cart!

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Give 'em a break. How often is there a royal wedding?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

17. The Following User Groans At Rune For This Awful Post:

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzy Kosinski View Post
    Give 'em a break. How often is there a royal wedding?
    What? Hardly a generation goes by without one..........
    tic

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

The really sad thing is that I have some female friends who actually stayed up all night to that they could watch this shit live. I may have to rethink those friendships.... though given the amount I have already mocked them for doing so, they may disown me first.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "