Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official notification

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Official notification

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE OF THE SENATE

March 21, 2011

Dear Mr. Speaker:
    (Dear Mr. President

At approximately 3:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, on March 19, 2011, at my direction, U.S. military forces commenced operations to assist an international effort authorized by the United Nations (U.N.) Security Council and undertaken with the support of European allies and Arab partners, to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe and address the threat posed to international peace and security by the crisis in Libya. As part of the multilateral response authorized under U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973, U.S. military forces, under the command of Commander, U.S. Africa Command, began a series of strikes against air defense systems and military airfields for the purposes of preparing a no-fly zone. These strikes will be limited in their nature, duration, and scope. Their purpose is to support an international coalition as it takes all necessary measures to enforce the terms of U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973. These limited U.S. actions will set the stage for further action by other coalition partners.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973 authorized Member States, under Chapter VII of the U.N. Charter, to take all necessary measures to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in Libya, including the establishment and enforcement of a "no-fly zone" in the airspace of Libya. United States military efforts are discrete and focused on employing unique U.S. military capabilities to set the conditions for our European allies and Arab partners to carry out the measures authorized by the U.N. Security Council Resolution.

Muammar Qadhafi was provided a very clear message that a cease-fire must be implemented immediately. The international community made clear that all attacks against civilians had to stop; Qadhafi had to stop his forces from advancing on Benghazi; pull them back from Ajdabiya, Misrata, and Zawiya; and establish water, electricity, and gas supplies to all areas. Finally, humanitarian assistance had to be allowed to reach the people of Libya.

Although Qadhafi's Foreign Minister announced an immediate cease-fire, Qadhafi and his forces made no attempt to implement such a cease-fire, and instead continued attacks on Misrata and advanced on Benghazi. Qadhafi's continued attacks and threats against civilians and civilian populated areas are of grave concern to neighboring Arab nations and, as expressly stated in U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973, constitute a threat to the region and to international peace and security. His illegitimate use of force not only is causing the deaths of substantial numbers of civilians among his own people, but also is forcing many others to flee to neighboring countries, thereby destabilizing the peace and security of the region. Left unaddressed, the growing instability in Libya could ignite wider instability in the Middle East, with dangerous consequences to the national security interests of the United States. Qadhafi's defiance of the Arab League, as well as the broader international community moreover, represents a lawless challenge to the authority of the Security Council and its efforts to preserve stability in the region. Qadhafi has forfeited his responsibility to protect his own citizens and created a serious need for immediate humanitarian assistance and protection, with any delay only putting more civilians at risk.

The United States has not deployed ground forces into Libya. United States forces are conducting a limited and well-defined mission in support of international efforts to protect civilians and prevent a humanitarian disaster. Accordingly, U.S. forces have targeted the Qadhafi regime's air defense systems, command and control structures, and other capabilities of Qadhafi's armed forces used to attack civilians and civilian populated areas. We will seek a rapid, but responsible, transition of operations to coalition, regional, or international organizations that are postured to continue activities as may be necessary to realize the objectives of U.N. Security Council Resolutions 1970 and 1973.

For these purposes, I have directed these actions, which are in the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States, pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct U.S. foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive.

I am providing this report as part of my efforts to keep the Congress fully informed, consistent with the War Powers Resolution. I appreciate the support of the Congress in this action.

BARACK OBAMA

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King of 32DDD View Post
    So, are you satisfied now?
    i don't see how he can be satisfied. using his understanding of the war powers act....notification or consultation after the fact is not in line with a plain reading of the law. that said, i'm not sure our president has authority to launch such actions. however, the congress has given the president to launch actions for decades and it didn't matter if the president was a pub or a lib.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 276 Times in 251 Posts

The military action against Libya is perfectly constitutional. As I pointed out yesterday, Jefferson and Madison took exactly the same course of action, even against the same country, during the First and Second Barbary War - again, without a formal declaration of war by Congress. The Constitution clearly grants this power to the President in Article II, Section II of the Constitution.

I respect Ron Paul, but he's wrong on this issue.
    "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." -O'Brien, Nineteen Eighty-Four

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 276 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rtber View Post
    Acting while Congress was in recess, without constitutional authority, Barack Obama authorized the deployment of over $70 million worth of Tomahawk missiles and has violated the sovereignty of Libya.

Article 1 Section 8 of the constitution assigns the power to declare war solely to Congress.

Section 3 of the War Powers Act specifically addresses what Barack Obama has done.
    The War Powers Act is meaningless if it violates the Constitution. The President is Commander in Chief of the armed forces according to Article II, Section II of the Constitution. If the War Powers Act conflicts with this article, the War Powers Act is invalid.
    "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." -O'Brien, Nineteen Eighty-Four

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    i don't see how he can be satisfied. using his understanding of the war powers act....notification or consultation after the fact is not in line with a plain reading of the law. that said, i'm not sure our president has authority to launch such actions. however, the congress has given the president to launch actions for decades and it didn't matter if the president was a pub or a lib.
    Just when has a Republican president acted or used the military without PRIOR knowledge of the Congress, when there was no direct threat or attack.?
    Last edited by NOVA; 03-21-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    The military action against Libya is perfectly constitutional. As I pointed out yesterday, Jefferson and Madison took exactly the same course of action, even against the same country, during the First and Second Barbary War - again, without a formal declaration of war by Congress. The Constitution clearly grants this power to the President in Article II, Section II of the Constitution.

I respect Ron Paul, but he's wrong on this issue.
    Lets get real here mate...Its not the 1800's and Jefferson is not president

There was no War Powers Act then and the whole reason there is one now was to limit a president in using our military at his own discretion...

Libya was not a danger to us by any stretch and did not attack us in any way...

Try again.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    The War Powers Act is meaningless if it violates the Constitution. The President is Commander in Chief of the armed forces according to Article II, Section II of the Constitution. If the War Powers Act conflicts with this article, the War Powers Act is invalid.
    Sorry....the War Powers Act is certainly not invalid until the SCOTUS says it is....

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Canceled2 (03-22-2011)

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

How can you idiots think this guy is Legion?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,085 Times in 25,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Just when has a Republican president acted or used the military without PRIOR knowledge of the Congress, when there was no direct threat or attack.?
    I keep telling you reagan did it, and you keep ignoring that fact.

Here’s a history flashback to April 15, 1986, when President Ronald Reagan ordered the bombing of Libyan Dictator Moammar Gadhafi in response to Gadhafi’s direct order to carry out a terrorist bombing in Germany that killed two U.S. Soldiers, and wounded 50 others at a nightclub. Reagan ordered the bombing of Tripoli, and was roundly criticized for it by Democrats and those on the Left. Reagan ordered the attack without seeking Congressional approval in advance.

http://freedomslighthouse.net/2011/0...video-4151986/

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I keep telling you reagan did it, and you keep ignoring that fact.

Here’s a history flashback to April 15, 1986, when President Ronald Reagan ordered the bombing of Libyan Dictator Moammar Gadhafi in response to Gadhafi’s direct order to carry out a terrorist bombing in Germany that killed two U.S. Soldiers, and wounded 50 others at a nightclub. Reagan ordered the bombing of Tripoli, and was roundly criticized for it by Democrats and those on the Left. Reagan ordered the attack without seeking Congressional approval in advance.

http://freedomslighthouse.net/2011/0...video-4151986/
    Yeah, you keep repeating your leftwing blogger bullshit over and over, so I'll try it again...

On March 24, 1986, Libya launched six SA-5 missiles against the U.S. Sixth Fleet, which was conducting maneuvers nearby in the Mediterranean. The attacks failed, and in subsequent strikes and counterstrikes, the Americans sunk two Libyan vessels.

On April 5, 1986, a bomb exploded in Berlin's La Belle discotheque, killing a U.S. soldier and a Turkish civilian, and injuring some 200 others, including 63 U.S. soldiers.

Ten days later, late in the evening of April 15, the United States prepared for air strikes against Libyan ground targets in five areas: the Aziziya barracks, known as a command and control post for terrorist activities; the military facilities at the Tripoli international airport; the Side Bilal base, said to be a facility for training terrorists in underwater sabotage; the Jamahariya military barracks in Benghazi, another terrorist command post; and the Benina air base southeast of Benghazi.

You might prefer to ignore what happened 12 days before the discotheque bombing, I don't...
    1...Libya attacked the Navy Fleet in the Med....
    2...Libya bombed the discotheque
    3...Reagan approved air strikes in Libya....

These are the historical facts...
    Obama circumstances and Reagans are NOT the same....they're hardly similar.

Obama DID NOT respond to an attack or even a threat against the US or our troops...THAT is the fact of the matter.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

In short, "I adore Ronald Reagan"....

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King of 32DDD View Post
    Lame comeback, Onceler. I, personally, have no issue with what Obama is doing in Libya (not a huge fan of interventionism, but I see no harm in it, and the Arab League and UN support it), but Bravo's arguments are actually pretty well-founded...
    Bravo is pathetic. He drank gallons of koolaid during Iraq, then tried to pawn it off onto Democrats when it went south. He has spent the 1st 2 years of Obama's admin lambasting him for having a soft foreign policy and being reluctant to use force, and then agrees w/ the idea of impeachment when the U.S. participates in a UN-authorized NFZ for Libya.

His only consideration for any action or decision is whether it's done by a Democrat, or Republican. That's it.

As I have stated, I have only supported one military action by the U.S. in my lifetime (that I can think of), and that was under a Republican President...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Onceler For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-23-2011)