Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What advice would you give this young woman?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What advice would you give this young woman?

Assuming that you oppose the Health Care Reform Act, please read the following story and think about the issue.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/417783...on_and_beauty/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why did legion troll make a troll named after Sestak and have him spout random news stories?
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Think about what? That she should get a job?

4. #4 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sestak View Post
    Assuming that you oppose the Health Care Reform Act, please read the following story and think about the issue.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/417783...on_and_beauty/
    First I would have pointed her mother to the nearest social security office, to try and get her on SSI/Medicare/Medicaid.

Then I would have had her ask her Mom why she never mentioned the slide towards eviction. The sheriff's dept doesn't just pop up. In most states the tenant has to be 3 months behind on rent before they will allow you to start processing an eviction.

Then I would suggest that the money she had spent trying to win a pageant could have been better spent paying bills.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    First I would have pointed her mother to the nearest social security office, to try and get her on SSI/Medicare/Medicaid.

Then I would have had her ask her Mom why she never mentioned the slide towards eviction. The sheriff's dept doesn't just pop up. In most states the tenant has to be 3 months behind on rent before they will allow you to start processing an eviction.

Then I would suggest that the money she had spent trying to win a pageant could have been better spent paying bills.
    So your advice would be to utilize a government program?

Does that mean that you oppose the health care reform act but advocate single-payer programs?

Can you tell us how much Miss Colorado "spent trying to win a pageant"?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Does that mean that you oppose the health care reform act but advocate single-payer programs?

New to the board, eh, Joe?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Think about what? That she should get a job?
    Actually she does have a job, but the store where she works is closing.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

8. #8 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

I have never said there should be no gov't programs. But I disagree with the wholesale takeover of the healthcare industry. I don't think the gov't will do it any good.

Yes, I would advise her to use a gov't program.

I do not know how much she spent trying to win the Miss Colorado pageant. I feel fairly certain it was not even close to being free. Most pageant winners have had numerous classes for their talent competitions, used consultants for various phases of the competition, and spent a good bit of money on their wardrobe.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well, being poor alone isn't enough to get into medicaid, you have to be part of one of several classes. That's one of the things that the healthcare bill changes, but it doesn't take effect until 2013. And it didn't say she was old enough to get SS or Medicaid.

I'm pretty sure that medical expenses could easily overwhelm everything else, but it is weird how she was even able to come up with the money at all.

10. #10 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Watermark XVII View Post
    Well, being poor alone isn't enough to get into medicaid, you have to be part of one of several classes. That's one of the things that the healthcare bill changes, but it doesn't take effect until 2013. And it didn't say she was old enough to get SS or Medicaid.

I'm pretty sure that medical expenses could easily overwhelm everything else, but it is weird how she was even able to come up with the money at all.
    If the mother had a heart attack that made it so she cannot work, she is eligible for SSI disability. With a family, madicare would probably be the best option. But if the daughter doesn't qualify, the mother certainly would since she would be drawing a disability check.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have never said there should be no gov't programs. But I disagree with the wholesale takeover of the healthcare industry. I don't think the gov't will do it any good.

Yes, I would advise her to use a gov't program.

I do not know how much she spent trying to win the Miss Colorado pageant. I feel fairly certain it was not even close to being free. Most pageant winners have had numerous classes for their talent competitions, used consultants for various phases of the competition, and spent a good bit of money on their wardrobe.
    Apparently, your comment regarding the money this young woman "spent trying to win a pageant" was not based on any specific knowledge.

Should anyone who suffers the loss of their health insurance due to a determination of a pre-existing condition" be covered at government expense?

12. #12 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Apparently, your comment regarding the money this young woman "spent trying to win a pageant" was not based on any specific knowledge.

Should anyone who suffers the loss of their health insurance due to a determination of a pre-existing condition" be covered at government expense?
    While I may not have any specific knowledge about the cost of winning a pageant, I am comfortable with my statement that trying for 4 years was not free.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/advice/20020808a.asp

When you cannot pay rent, spending money on a pageant doesn't make much sense.

I cannot make a blanket statement about a pre-existing condition without knowing more. Was it a genetic problem or cocaine abuse? Depending on what the cause of the pre-existing condition, and depending on whether it is life threatening or disabling, the gov't should step in and be able to help.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

That's the first thought that crossed my mind as I read this story. I have known NUMEROUS pageant contestants, both vying for state and national titles, and there is an ENORMOUS amount of money that goes into it. This is just not an activity suited for people on the brink of losing their home. It's like cooking school in Paris... not something you're going to pursue if you are poor. I really do wish we lived in Liberal Utopia Land... where these things could be made possible with an influx of tax dollars, but it's just not realistic or rational, it is somewhat an irrational fantasy.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

While I may not have any specific knowledge about the cost of winning a pageant, I am comfortable with my statement that trying for 4 years was not free.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/advice/20020808a.asp

When you cannot pay rent, spending money on a pageant doesn't make much sense.

I cannot make a blanket statement about a pre-existing condition without knowing more. Was it a genetic problem or cocaine abuse? Depending on what the cause of the pre-existing condition, and depending on whether it is life threatening or disabling, the gov't should step in and be able to help.
    Your confidence in the unwarranted assumption you made does not make it true, does it?

The young woman's mother apprently shielded her daughter from knowledge of the extent of her financial plight.

Why would you assume that a heart attack must have been precipitated by genetic predisposition or cocaine abuse?

As long as the government program in question is not the Health Care Reform Act, you're in favor of it?

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

I speak from first hand experience. I photographed 3 Miss Georgias, and 1 Miss Alabama. I know what I charged for my shoots, and it wasn't cheap. I also know the families of all these girls, and believe me, none of them are in danger of losing their home. One of the Miss Georgias I worked with, is a close personal friend of the family, and I know when she was competing for Miss America, they spent over $10,000. Seems to me, 10-grand would pay a LOT of house payments!

People who lose their health insurance due to pre-existing conditions, are already covered by a government program... it's called MEDICAID! And whether they qualify for Medicaid or not, the hospital is obligated BY LAW to treat them... it's called INDIGENT CARE! So, we already have a safety net to cover these people. Try again!