Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black GOP Official Resigns, Citing Arizona Tea Party Threats

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 344 Times in 322 Posts

Default Black GOP Official Resigns, Citing Arizona Tea Party Threats

The sole black Republican Party district chairman in Arizona resigned from his post in the wake of Saturday's shooting, citing threats from the Tea Party faction and concerns for his family's safety.

District Chairman Anthony Miller and several others resigned.

Miller, a 43-year-old Ahwatukee Foothills resident and former campaign worker for U.S. Sen. John McCain, was re-elected to a second one-year term last month. He said constant verbal attacks after that election and Internet blog posts by some local members with Tea Party ties made him worry about his family's safety.

The first and only African-American to hold the party's precinct chairmanship, Miller said he has been called "McCain's boy," and during the campaign saw a critic form his hand in the shape of a gun and point it at him.

"I wasn't going to resign but decided to quit after what happened Saturday," Miller said. "I love the Republican Party but I don't want to take a bullet for anyone."

His resignation comes in the wake of the attempted assassination of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Tucson), and the killing of several others, including a federal judge, at a political rally over the weekend. Although there have been no links discovered between the shooter, Jared Loughner, and the Tea Party, political opponents have blamed the movement and one of its major figures, former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, for creating an atmosphere that encourages violence.

Last month, Miller was re-elected to his second term as district chairman following the November general election, which saw Democratic incumbents like U.S. Rep. Harry Mitchell (D-Ariz.) and state Rep. Rae Waters (D-Ahwatukee Foothills) unseated in favor of Republican candidates.

Miller said the recent party election involved infighting between Miller and his allies and a "radical" local Tea Party faction calling itself the "New Vision" slate.

"There's trouble within the Republican Party," he said. "I'm seeing this new faction, the Sarah Palin type of Republicans."

The Arizona Republic

Ahwatukee Foothills News

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.
    Barry Goldwater
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    John Kenneth Galbraith

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

bgfrn is nothing but a race baiting snatch...he twisted the article to make it appear as if this was solely about race....

Jeff Kolb, spokesman for the Legislative District 20 GOP, and the group's secretary, Sophia Johnson, also submitted their resignations.
    and this so called tea party faction consists of these five people:

None of the members of the New Vision slate - consisting of Bill Baxter, Jeni White and James Troutman, who won election to party leadership positions, and former Congressional candidate Mark Spinks and Tom Morrissey
    apparently there was tension because miller wasn't viewed as conservative enough....i smell bullshit

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Looks like Bfgrn is doing his best Webbway imitation.

I can't speak to any possible threats but Tea Party people targeting Republicans for not being conservative enough is really no different than progressives who targeted Blue Dogs for not being liberal enough.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Looks like Bfgrn is doing his best Webbway imitation.

I can't speak to any possible threats but Tea Party people targeting Republicans for not being conservative enough is really no different than progressives who targeted Blue Dogs for not being liberal enough.
    Yea, I'm sure Anthony Miller was just being a fucking baby when they called him 'boy' and someone formed their hand into a gun and pointed it at him.

If anyone is webbway, it is you...Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    John Kenneth Galbraith

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bfgrn View Post
    Yea, I'm sure Anthony Miller was just being a fucking baby when they called him 'boy' and someone formed their hand into a gun and pointed it at him.

How can I be webbway when I don't even know how to import a picture to create my own avatar let alone post a picture of someone in a thread?

Nice job on cutting the 'McCain's boy' quote in half trying to give it more of a racial feel. It's not like you're 18 years old I would think you would have heard many people called someone's boy. For example our ex-Mayor in San Francisco who you've probably heard of, Gavin Newsom, who is white has always been called Getty's Boy become the billionaire white Getty family has been his sugar daddy from day one.

Well played though sir in trying to make it racial.

I will say unless you are a rapper posing for an album cover putting your hands in the form of a gun and pointing it at someone is completely unacceptable.
    Last edited by cawacko; 01-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

race baiter

its amazing how quickly you believe someone when its suits your agenda....and amazing how you ignore that whites also quit

this guy is most likely full of shit and since its fits your world view, you are falling hook line and sinker

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I will say unless you are a rapper posing for an album cover putting your hands in the form of a gun and pointing it at someone is completely unacceptable.
    How about kids on the playground playing cowboys and indians or cops and robbers?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    How about kids on the playground playing cowboys and indians or cops and robbers?
    Haha, excellent question.

I shall restate my comment. For adults putting your hand in the form of a pistol and shooting at someone in a political context is not acceptable.

Little kids running around the playground it's ok.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    race baiter

its amazing how quickly you believe someone when its suits your agenda....and amazing how you ignore that whites also quit

this guy is most likely full of shit and since its fits your world view, you are falling hook line and sinker
    Rep McDermott WA has made public his death threats from liberal's angry over his vote to "extend tax cuts for the wealthy"- proving once again angry voters are a bi-partisan issue!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Haha, excellent question.

I shall restate my comment. For adults putting your hand in the form of a pistol and shooting at someone in a political context is not acceptable.

Little kids running around the playground it's ok.
    LOL....I had to throw that in there amidst all this serious stuff as I see it almost everyday...and almost everyday am thankful that where I live it still isn't a big deal for the kids to play that way. Reminds me of the good old days.

Back to the serious side of things, I do agree with your original point. Adults, political context...pistol hand...not cool....or acceptable even.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

One lone nut-job goes postal, and this guy folds like two squares of toilet tissue. Wow. Me thinks this guy has to sit down to pee.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

There's trouble within the Republican Party," he said. "I'm seeing this new faction, the Sarah Palin type of Republicans."
    Don't let the door kit you on the ass on your way out...

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    race baiter

Hey Yurt...do you need a translator? Is mommy out? The guy quit because he was fearful of violence..."I love the Republican Party but I don't want to take a bullet for anyone." Anthony Miller

YOU are the one focusing on his race. So that must be YOUR agenda.

It is clear that anything these tea party members do gets a pass from you...even when they do it to a Republican. THAT is having an agenda.
    John Kenneth Galbraith

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hey Yurt...do you need a translator? Is mommy out? The guy quit because he was fearful of violence..."I love the Republican Party but I don't want to take a bullet for anyone." Anthony Miller

YOU are the one focusing on his race. So that must be YOUR agenda.

It is clear that anything these tea party members do gets a pass from you...even when they do it to a Republican. THAT is having an agenda.
    what a dishonest hack...i'm focusing on race? let's see YOUR title as compared to the title of the actual article:

your title - Black GOP Official Resigns

actual title - Republicans in turmoil after leadership resigns over safety fears

you are the one who focused on his race, no one else, you altered the original title to make the focus on race.

care to apologize?