Thread: Obama says polarized nation needs healing

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default Obama says polarized nation needs healing

Obama says polarized nation needs healing

"At a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized — at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do — it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds," the president said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_congresswoman_shot_obama

well said mr. president.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

"And if, as has been discussed in recent days, their deaths help usher in more civility in our public discourse, let us remember that it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy, it did not, but rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to the challenges of our nation in a way that would make them proud."

This needed to be said, thank you Mr. President.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

and all you gotta do Mr pres is have congress get back to the constitution.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

On issues, there is very little I agree with Obama on....but I will say, Obama has class....
    he shows more respect for the office than Bill Clinton and is as presidential in his manner and bearing as Reagan or Bush or JFK.....a talented speaker and gives the job his best effort.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

When my parents would break up our kid fights, they used to makes us kids stand together in a corner and hug each other for 5 minutes. LOL

America's right and left need to hug each other

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    "And if, as has been discussed in recent days, their deaths help usher in more civility in our public discourse, let us remember that it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy, it did not, but rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to the challenges of our nation in a way that would make them proud."

This needed to be said, thank you Mr. President.
    He really struck the right tone~

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

i wonder if we, as a nation, can start to come together more and have more civilized, less vitriol discussions about our political ideas. i don't hold out much hope, especially with issues like h/c where some on both sides are calling each other killers (death panels, no h/c millions will die)...

the only people who can truly lead this are the president, the senate and the house. obama has called for turning down the rhetoric in the past and has yet to do so. hopefully he will lead by example (as the president should), followed by the leaders of the senate and house.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think he whiffed. He had a shot to take this and run with it, explaining that we're never so divided politically that we attack and how this insane dude did not do this because of our disagreement... instead he just repeated the same rubbish, admittedly better phrased, that has the left looking foolish right now.

The dude didn't do this because of political discord, this is not an example of how we need to all just "agree" to follow whatever plan the Great Leader puts on the table.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I think he whiffed. He had a shot to take this and run with it, explaining that we're never so divided politically that we attack and how this insane dude did not do this because of our disagreement... instead he just repeated the same rubbish, admittedly better phrased, that has the left looking foolish right now.

The dude didn't do this because of political discord, this is not an example of how we need to all just "agree" to follow whatever plan the Great Leader puts on the table.
    do you have the text? where did he blame the right? there is no escaping that political discord became an issue because of this tragedy. should he just have ignored that?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post

I think he whiffed too.

To me it appeared he used it to prop up his waning reputation. It felt like his speeches on the campaign trail and more about "looking" concerned, rather than actually being concerned. The long pregnant pauses waiting for the applause to die down was out of place for what it was all about.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

Gereral consensus is he hit a home run.
    I just puked in my mouth a little cause I'm with usaloyal on this.
    they are more worried about how they are percieved than actually caring.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

He's the most divisive president in my lifetime. He needs to look in the mirror instead of blaming everyone around him.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    He's the most divisive president in my lifetime. He needs to look in the mirror instead of blaming everyone around him.
    Yet you like Palin for Prez?

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Yet you like Palin for Prez?
    Name one thing she's said that is divisive.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Name one thing she's said that is divisive.
    Her entire m.o. is the "us vs. them" mentality; it's what she ran on with McCain, and turned up to about 11 since then. I think the backlash against her has been severe & unwarranted, but there is no doubt that she is the classic confrontational type of politician...