Thread: The lightening went and killed the boot

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default The lightening went and killed the boot

sector on my laptop... Well my personal laptop, not the work one or the PC...

I was writing a new scathing sarcastic chapter in my newest attempt at a novel... When the fricking lightening hit, the screen flashed and the computer would no longer boot in... Magic. I even have it on a protection strip, but the resulting power surge simply got to the boot sector. Now I have to wait for the recovery disk in the mail. What a fricking retard. I've had the thing for some months now and hadn't called to get it before this...

Oh well, at least I have this, the powerbook, my PC downstairs, the G5, and my daughter's Mac as well as my old standby that I use to keep drivers for repairs to other's computers. I'd simply reload the operating system without the repair section in their little recovery CD, but then I'd lose some software....

*sigh* I hate waiting. I'm so impatient I'll likely use imaging software to copy and backup the data on the drive, reload a new OS then move it over before the fricking recovery disk gets here that would take all of 2 minutes instead of all that work to get the job done...

Another stupidity, I haven't backed up the drive to DVDs... What a stupid mistake... I'll rectify all of this idiocy as soon as I haved fixed the danged thing...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use UPS on my PC's and entertainment equipment.
    also I have so much surge supression that if I get a big surge it trips breakers.