Thread: This is why I hate big cities and love the country

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default This is why I hate big cities and love the country

His personal superhero saves him from pit bulls

She flew from a car to beat back the dogs, only to be attacked later.

By Abbie Vansickle
    Published January 25, 2007
    Bandaged, bruised and sore, Dontae Vincent, 9, shows dressings covering wounds on his right leg after being attacked by pit bulls on Tuesday evening.

The four pit bulls that attacked Dontae Vincent and Angel Perez are in the custody of Hillsborough County Animal Services. If the owner signs them over to Animal Services they may be euthanized.

TAMPA - Dontae Vincent loves superheroes. The 9-year-old boy's red T-shirt sports Superman's symbol.

Now, he has a hero to call his own.

As the third-grader walked home Tuesday evening from the Boys & Girls Club, a pack of pit bullterriers chased after him, knocked him to the pavement and mauled his abdomen, legs and back.

Angel N. Perez, a petite 25-year-old club dancer, came driving past in rush-hour traffic. She saw the four marauding dogs hovering over the child and jumped out of her car.

Armed only with a can of mace and her fists, the 5-foot, 110-pound woman raced toward the knot of raging animals.

"This woman was truly an angel," said Animal Services spokeswoman Marti Ryan. "She was in the right place at the right time."

Not without cost. Before it was over, both Dontae and Perez suffered several bites. It took 20 stitches to sew up a nasty gash in Perez's right arm. The dogs bit her forearm, buttocks and legs. Bandages dot Dontae's back, right side and abdomen and legs.

Each day, Dontae walks home from basketball practice at the Boys and Girls Club on Gladys Street. Each day, he passes the house where the dogs lived on the way to his family's apartment at 208 E Columbus Drive.

And each day, the boy with the bright smile and love of superheroes crosses to the other side of the street to avoid those barking pit bulls. His mother told him to be careful of them.

Tuesday was no exception.

Dontae and his 12-year-old sister, Shaneka Vincent, were headed east on Euclid when a man opened the gate to let a car inside the chain link fence where the dogs lived, Dontae said. As the gate opened, the dogs barreled at the kids.

Dontae took off running, right into busy traffic on Florida Avenue. His sister followed, but the dogs didn't harm her, said Stephanie Lopez, 31, their mother.

At that moment, Perez and her boyfriend, Donell Howard, 40, were driving north on Florida near Columbus Drive.

Perez heard the boy screaming. Then, she saw the dogs.

She told Howard to stop.

Perez, mother of three including a 9-year-old boy, thought of her son, hoping someone would do the same if he were in trouble.

She ran to Dontae. Howard, too, got out, leaving the car in the middle of the street, he said.

Dontae remembers seeing Perez running to his side, spraying the dogs with a bottle of mace she kept on her key chain.

As Perez sprayed the dogs, Dontae kept running toward home. But he fell in the busy street and blacked out, his mother recalled. Howard scooped up the boy and took him to a nearby hardware store, where he asked Dontae's sister to go find the children's mother.

As Howard helped the kids, Perez followed the dogs, hoping to find their owner.

At first the dogs headed away from her, then they circled back, attacking.

When she ran out of mace, Perez beat them with her fists.

"I just kept swinging until they left," she said.

Plenty of people drove past, came out of their shops and stopped to watch, she said. She estimated 20 to 30 cars passed by during the fight. Only one other man stopped to help them.

"It's horrifying to just be viciously attacked by four pit bulls and no one helps you," she said. "I don't mind about me. No one helped that child."

Dontae's mother, a Head Start teacher's aide, arrived. When he saw her, he burst into tears. He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital. As he watched cartoons, his mother anxiously waited for word on whether the dogs were diseased. Only two of the four dogs had proper shots.

Howard took Perez to Tampa General Hospital, where doctors stitched up her wounds.

Both Dontae and Perez were released Tuesday night.

Bobby Lee Stewart, the dogs' owner, was home at the time of the attack, according to a police.

He told police he heard screaming and went outside. That's when he noticed the dogs were missing. He said he thought one of the neighborhood kids had opened the gate and let them out.

Animal Services cited Stewart, 33, of 106 E Euclid Ave. with four counts of keeping vicious dogs and four counts of failure to secure the dogs, police said. Stewart also was charged with violating probation for carrying a concealed firearm, jail records show.

He is being held without bail. No one was available to comment at his home Tuesday afternoon. State records show this is Stewart's fifth arrest, including marijuana and narcotics possession, carrying a concealed weapon and fraud charges.

Animal services confiscated the dogs. If Stewart signs over the animals, they will likely be euthanized, Ryan said. The animals - three mature pit bulls and one juvenile - weigh 40 to 60 pounds, Ryan said.

Dontae's mom is still worried about rabies. Dontae is mainly worried about dogs.

When he closed his eyes to sleep Tuesday night, the dogs came at him again, he said. His screams woke his mother.

"I'm scared of dogs," Dontae said Wednesday, his voice quiet.

Perez says she will have her stitches out in a couple of weeks. She still loves pit bulls, always has. It's the dog's owner who raises the dog, who teaches them good or bad behavior, she said.

"They're my favorite dogs - this doesn't change anything," she said.

Animal services officials urge pit bull owners to teach dogs good behavior.

"This is a typical example of what we see in irresponsible pet ownership," Ryan said. "A pit bull is a very, very strong and potentially aggressive breed of dog."

Dontae will likely recover in a couple of weeks. His body ached Wednesday. The Superman shirt covered his wounds.

Times researcher John Martin contributed to this report. Abbie VanSickle can be reached at vansickle@sptimes.com or 813 226-3373.

[Last modified January 25, 2007, 01:18:33]

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/25/Hi...superher.shtml

all that ttraffic on Florida ave and only one small woman would help the child ! ? Damn selfixh ass cowards.

Now you can see why I don't miss Tampa one bit, nor big cities in general.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Absolutely true! I stopped on the way home one summer day to take a picture of a sunflower field. Someone came along and stopped to see if I needed help. People here, outside the city, still raise a hand to greet the drivers of oncoming vehicles. I wouldn't change it.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes it is just wonderful isn't it Thorn. and virtually no road rage, fingers and honking (unless to say hello)......
    But we should keep this to ourselves I guess so the jerks from the city don't come out here ?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Absolutely true! I stopped on the way home one summer day to take a picture of a sunflower field. Someone came along and stopped to see if I needed help. People here, outside the city, still raise a hand to greet the drivers of oncoming vehicles. I wouldn't change it.
    Yeah, you have to almost continually wave in my neighborhood. People are always riding by on their horses or walking down the road greeting you as you drive by... I stopped one time to give my child some time out for misbehaving and every car that passed stopped to ask if we were okay...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep and we tend to handle our own problems instead of yelling for help from the gummit.
    Yesterday evening there were 4 cows in the road in front of my house. did I call the cops, the humane society, etc ? Nope I herded them into my field and called until I found the owner, who came and got them.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I hope the heroine dumped her boyfriend. There is no mention of him helping her at all.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

US... then ya need to learn to read.

The boyfriend scooped up the kid and carried him to safety. Now personally, had I been the boyfriend I would have been the one going after the dogs and would have let her be the one to get the kid to safety. But the bf at least did something to help, which is more than the other drivers can say. They should be ashamed of themselves.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    They do that HERE too! good ole Downeast Maine!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Howard scooped up the boy and took him to a nearby hardware store, where he asked Dontae's sister to go find the children's mother.

As Howard helped the kids, Perez followed the dogs, hoping to find their owner."

Just so ya don't have to look too hard....

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    US... then ya need to learn to read.

The boyfriend scooped up the kid and carried him to safety. Now personally, had I been the boyfriend I would have been the one going after the dogs and would have let her be the one to get the kid to safety. But the bf at least did something to help, which is more than the other drivers can say. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    well You are talking about the same thing as I am. I just stated it poorly. sorry, and apologies.
    Yep cowards all.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,642 Times in 27,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Yep and we tend to handle our own problems instead of yelling for help from the gummit.
    Yesterday evening there were 4 cows in the road in front of my house. did I call the cops, the humane society, etc ? Nope I herded them into my field and called until I found the owner, who came and got them.
    Best thing I like about small towns is no traffice, and little crime.

Yesterday, someone here found a sea lion on a dairy farm. I have no idea how it got there; it's miles from the ocean.

In that case, you pretty much need a human society or animal control to deal with it

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I dunno, are they good to eat ?