Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Issue of Abortion

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Issue of Abortion

It's been eating at me since the end of October when I went to President Obama's Columbus Ohio rally and saw the protesters outside. A nice looking group, all very clean and well groomed holding signs that read "Obama's Choice" with pictures of aborted babies on them in full color.

What I haven't been able to shake is that the Republican party controlled the White House for eight years and did nothing to prevent or legislate abortion. The Republican party controlled both houses of congress from 2002 to 2006 and yet nothing was done to prevent or legislate abortion. With all of that they never did to prevent or legislate abortion there was never anyone at Bush rallies with similar signs.

Now I understand the gag rule that goes in place when Republicans go into office and gets lifted when a Democrat takes their place but this does nothing to stop or reduce abortions in this country. It's more of a symbol than a regulation.

All of that said, I am pretty pro-life. I would like to see heavy restriction placed on it and a better job of letting young mothers know what their options are. But seeing this made it even clearer to me that Republican politicians aren't interested in solving the issue, they are interested only in growing the issue to further wedge voters. It pretty well offends me as democrat but also as a catholic that there is such udder pandering going on and that it works.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Dude, are you really going to start a thread about abortion? And I notice you don't post here often (which is obviously your right) so to start a thread on this subject? This thread can reach 1,000 posts if people really get fired up.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I expect you realize that no legislation prohibiting abortion can be passed unless the SC decision of Roe v Wade is overturned?......in the meantime there were a number of states that passed restrictions on abortion which were challenged in the SC with mixed results......

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

You also don't seem to realize, Mr. New Democrat, that is was YOUR PARTY that fought tooth and nail to have abortion legalized in the first place and to this very day support with their every breath to keep it that way....
    Your post seems to reveal your total lack of understanding the background of how we came to be where we are, who supports no restrictions on abortions, who supports government paying for abortions, who supports democrats and why, etc....
    So I suggest you do some research and soul searching on what you believe and who you should support that actually might have and fight for the same or similar values as you claim to have.....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's not so much arguing about the issue of abortion or the way it's been bastardized by the right to score cheap political points. That's why I start the issue.

As far as Roe V. Wade, I'm not talking about overturning it, I 'm simply talking about taking any kind of action instead of using it as a tool to get elected.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodem View Post
    It's not so much arguing about the issue of abortion or the way it's been bastardized by the right to score cheap political points. That's why I start the issue.

As far as Roe V. Wade, I'm not talking about overturning it, I 'm simply talking about taking any kind of action instead of using it as a tool to get elected.
    And Democrats don't do the same thing themselves saying if Republicans are elected they will overturn roe v. Wade? Ever been to California man?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

"it's been bastardized by the right to score cheap political points." ????

I'm still trying to figure out WTF Mr. Democrat is whining about here....

Abortion was "bastardize"?....whats that mean?
    Speaking out against it is "bastardizing"?
    Then Mr. Pinhead the Democrat is guilty of the same thing...

All I've ever heard is " if Republicans are elected they will overturn roe v. Wade'...the mantra of the pinheaded left....
    Its settled law....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 344 Times in 322 Posts

It's been eating at me since the end of October when I went to President Obama's Columbus Ohio rally and saw the protesters outside. A nice looking group, all very clean and well groomed holding signs that read "Obama's Choice" with pictures of aborted babies on them in full color.

What I haven't been able to shake is that the Republican party controlled the White House for eight years and did nothing to prevent or legislate abortion. The Republican party controlled both houses of congress from 2002 to 2006 and yet nothing was done to prevent or legislate abortion. With all of that they never did to prevent or legislate abortion there was never anyone at Bush rallies with similar signs.

Now I understand the gag rule that goes in place when Republicans go into office and gets lifted when a Democrat takes their place but this does nothing to stop or reduce abortions in this country. It's more of a symbol than a regulation.

All of that said, I am pretty pro-life. I would like to see heavy restriction placed on it and a better job of letting young mothers know what their options are. But seeing this made it even clearer to me that Republican politicians aren't interested in solving the issue, they are interested only in growing the issue to further wedge voters. It pretty well offends me as democrat but also as a catholic that there is such udder pandering going on and that it works.
    If you understand the genesis of abortion as a political issue of the right, it becomes clear.

The Religious Right...how can people who show no regard for the crawling and the walking have such a passion for the unborn?

Easy...they DON'T...they're a bunch of racists that use Roe v. Wade as a political wedge issue...

Book Excerpt: 'Thy Kingdom Come'

by Randall Balmer

In the 1980s, in order to solidify their shift from divorce to abortion, the Religious Right constructed an abortion myth, one accepted by most Americans as true. Simply put, the abortion myth is this: Leaders of the Religious Right would have us believe that their movement began in direct response to the U.S. Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision.
    ---
    In the course of one of the sessions, Weyrich tried to make a point to his Religious Right brethren (no women attended the conference, as I recall). Let's remember, he said animatedly, that the Religious Right did not come together in response to the Roe decision. No, Weyrich insisted, what got us going as a political movement was the attempt on the part of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to rescind the tax-exempt status of Bob Jones University because of its racially discriminatory policies.

Evangelical: Religious Right Has Distorted the Faith : NPR

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    John Kenneth Galbraith

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

You've hit the nail right on the head. It's cynical political pandering by conservative politicians who have no intention of doing anything because the fact is, most Americans support a womans right to chose during the first trimester of pregnancy.

I don't know about you, but right now I have more important things to worry about on the political front then gays, guns and abortion. Not that these aren't serious issues but, as you have so astutely noticed, they are used as a wedge issue to divide people for partisan political purposes. Not only do I have more important concerns then these but I know when I'm being cynically manipulated too and like you, I aint buying it.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    And Democrats don't do the same thing themselves saying if Republicans are elected they will overturn roe v. Wade? Ever been to California man?
    Why in the world would he ever want to go to that backwater?

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    God loves baby sacrifices.
    and he detests a hanging curveball!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I expect you realize that no legislation prohibiting abortion can be passed unless the SC decision of Roe v Wade is overturned?......in the meantime there were a number of states that passed restrictions on abortion which were challenged in the SC with mixed results......
    this