Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I believe there’s room for us to compromise

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m a strong believer that the earmarking process in Congress isn’t what the American people really want to see when it comes to making tough decisions about how taxpayer dollars are spent.

And I, in the rush to get things done, had to sign a bunch of bills that had earmarks in them, which was contrary to what I had talked about.

I think folks look at that and they said, gosh, this feels like the same partisan squabbling, this seems like the same ways of doing business as happened before, and so one of the things that I’ve got to take responsibility for is not having moved enough on those fronts.

I think there is an opportunity to move forward on some of those issues.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You lie!

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The fact is, is that for most folks, proof of whether they work or not is has the economy gotten back to where it needs to be, and it hasn’t.

My job is to make sure that I’m looking at all ideas that are on the table.

When it comes to job creation, if Republicans have good ideas for job growth that can drive down the unemployment rate, and we haven’t thought of them, we haven’t looked at them but we think they have a chance of working, we want to try some.

So, on the policy front, I think the most important thing is to say that we’re not going to rule out ideas because they’re Democrat or Republican.

We want to just see what works, and ultimately, I’ll be judged as President as to the bottom line, results.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by President Barack Obama View Post
    The fact is, is that for most folks, proof of whether they work or not is has the economy gotten back to where it needs to be, and it hasn’t.

My job is to make sure that I’m looking at all ideas that are on the table.

When it comes to job creation, if Republicans have good ideas for job growth that can drive down the unemployment rate, and we haven’t thought of them, we haven’t looked at them but we think they have a chance of working, we want to try some.

So, on the policy front, I think the most important thing is to say that we’re not going to rule out ideas because they’re Democrat or Republican.

We want to just see what works, and ultimately, I’ll be judged as President as to the bottom line, results.
    You lie!

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think we’d be misreading the election if we thought that the American people want to see us for the next two years relitigate arguments that we had over the last two years.

With respect to the health care law, generally, you know, when I talk to a woman from New Hampshire who doesn’t have to mortgage her house because she got cancer and is seeking treatment but now is able to get health insurance, when I talk to parents who are relieved that their child with a preexisting condition can now stay on their policy until they’re 26 years old and give them time to transition to find a job that will give them health insurance, or the small businesses that are now taking advantage of the tax credits that are provided, then I say to myself, this was the right thing to do.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think we’d be misreading the election if we thought that the American people want to see us for the next two years relitigate arguments that we had over the last two years.

With respect to the health care law, generally, you know, when I talk to a woman from New Hampshire who doesn’t have to mortgage her house because she got cancer and is seeking treatment but now is able to get health insurance, when I talk to parents who are relieved that their child with a preexisting condition can now stay on their policy until they’re 26 years old and give them time to transition to find a job that will give them health insurance, or the small businesses that are now taking advantage of the tax credits that are provided, then I say to myself, this was the right thing to do.
    You lie!

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Now, if the Republicans have ideas for how to improve our health care system, if they want to suggest modifications that would deliver faster and more effective reform to a health care system that has been wildly expensive for too many families and businesses and certainly for our federal government, I’m happy to consider some of those ideas.

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Now, if the Republicans have ideas for how to improve our health care system, if they want to suggest modifications that would deliver faster and more effective reform to a health care system that has been wildly expensive for too many families and businesses and certainly for our federal government, I’m happy to consider some of those ideas.
    You lie!

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You know, for example, I know one of the things that’s come up is that the 1099 provision in the health care bill appears to be too burdensome for small businesses.

It just involves too much paperwork, too much filing.

It’s probably counterproductive.

It was designed to make sure that revenue was raised to help pay for some of the other provisions, but if it ends up just being so much trouble that small businesses find it difficult to manage, that's something that we should take a look at.

So there are going to be examples where I think we can tweak and make improvements on the progress that we’ve made.

That's true for any significant piece of legislation.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You lie!!

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obviously this is an issue that has been contentious.

But as I said, I think what's going to be useful is for us to go through the issues that Republicans have issues on, not sort of talking generally, but let’s talk specifics.

Does this particular provision, when it comes to preexisting conditions, is this something you’re for or you’re against?

Helping seniors get their prescription drugs, does that make sense or not?

I don't think that if you ask the American people, should we stop trying to close the doughnut hole that will help senior citizens get prescription drugs, should we go back to a situation where people with preexisting conditions can’t get health insurance, should we allow insurance companies to drop your coverage when you get sick even though you’ve been paying premiums.

I don't think that you’d have a strong vote for people saying those are provisions I want to eliminate.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You lie!

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think the American people are absolutely concerned about spending and debt and deficits, and I’m going to have a deficit commission that is putting forward its ideas.

It’s a bipartisan group that includes Republican and Democratic members of Congress.

Hopefully they were able to arrive at some consensus on some areas where we can eliminate programs that don’t work, cut back on government spending that is inefficient, can streamline government, but isn’t cutting into the core investments that are going to make sure that we are a competitive economy that is growing and providing opportunity for years to come.

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You lie!!

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We already had a big deficit that I inherited, and that has been made worse because of the recession.

As we bring it down, I want to make sure that we’re not cutting into education that is going to help define whether or not we can compete around the world.

I don’t think we should be cutting back on research and development, because if we can develop new technologies in areas like clean energy, that could make all the difference in terms of job creation here at home.