Thread: Fascinating Poll: Likely Voters Don't Know Squat

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,155 Times in 33,858 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    A $400 'tax credit'.... spread out over 26 paychecks is NOT $30.... it is $15.38. 30.77 for married couples (or $15.38 each if they are both working).

So no... most people don't see or feel that $15. Especially when the price of gas goes up. They see their disposable income falling. They see unemployment STAYING at 9.5% despite their President saying it wouldn't go above 8%.

They SEE the public sector unions being protected at THEIR expense. But nothing being done to protect THEIR jobs.

They see the health care bill as a fiasco. One that will RAISE health care costs and also raise our national debt.

They SEE the smoke and mirrors the Dems tried in order to pretend the health care fiasco would lower the nations debt.

They SEE the increase in red tape the small business owners will now face with all the 1099's they must produce.

They SEE that the Dems were more concerned with their party's ideological agenda than with actually trying to aid the economy and the growth of jobs.

They SEE that the Dems have done NOTHING with regards to the tax brackets for next year.

They SEE the what the uncertainty the Dems have created is doing to job growth.

They are therefore going to vote the Dems out of the House leadership next Tuesday.

They are therefore going to bring more balance to the Senate.

They understand the lies that the Dems keep parroting about it being the Reps that drove the car in the ditch. They understand that the two party system needed a massive shake up.

Say goodbye to Speaker Pelosi. Say goodbye to Senator Reid.

The people are pissed. The people will be displaying their displeasure of incumbents on Tuesday.
    And electing the the most stupid bunch of candidates that have ever come down the pike!

I watch in horror!

When asked which program they will get rid of when elected, well, it is just a laugh! They have all these big plans and then reality sets in and they find they are just like all the rest of the politicians elected before them! It is a joke and we are the butt of it!

Too bad for us

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Perception is reality:

You're right, thats the very reason Obama is President and Democrats are in control of the entire government....
    Obamas tax cut was akin to a joke....what the voters see is that the federal tax rates (tables) are the same as they were in 2003...nothings changed.....they know there was NO TAX CUTS IN THE RATES.....

Voters know that they have less foolish money to enjoy. Bottom line.

The economy has grown in the last 4 quarters...yes it has...but where are the jobs? Unemployment is a record highs....it would be better if it people had jobs and economy shrunk.

Perception is reality...look how many pinheads still insist the lies perpetuated by the Dems about Bush, his wife, and his children still persist...I won't even begin with that list of lies.
    They have more money to spend. The tax cuts were applied to the withholding, so they get a little more in each paycheck. The reason the Obama administration did it thsi way, instead of a large check like Bush did (and then took back at tax time), is that large checks tend to be deposited into savings accounts, and therefore have little or no stimulative effect. A few extra bucks in each paycheck get spent immediately, and that's what the economy needs to stimulate it. If you were better informed...well, that isn't ever going to happen, is it? If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps, and we have a better chance of seeing a winged frog than a well-informed right-winger.
    "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

"I was a Republican...until they lost their minds."
    Charles Barkley

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by zoombwaz View Post
    They have more money to spend. The tax cuts were applied to the withholding, so they get a little more in each paycheck. The reason the Obama administration did it thsi way, instead of a large check like Bush did (and then took back at tax time), is that large checks tend to be deposited into savings accounts, and therefore have little or no stimulative effect. A few extra bucks in each paycheck get spent immediately, and that's what the economy needs to stimulate it. If you were better informed...well, that isn't ever going to happen, is it? If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps, and we have a better chance of seeing a winged frog than a well-informed right-winger.

BTW, in re: Bravo's comment that "it would be better if people had jobs and the economy shrunk." You all do realize that's not possible, don't you?

Charles Barkley

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Damo, just as an aside, it's kind of disingenuous to use Bennet right now. He's in "say anytihng" mode to try to win an election....
    He said that back in the day, before he was noticeably behind in the polls... methinks you are desperate to forgive a D caught in a moment of truth.

(BTW - He said this back in August, just after the Primaries.)
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    He said that back in the day, before he was noticeably behind in the polls... methinks you are desperate to forgive a D caught in a moment of truth.

How about you let us know exactly what he said and exactly when he said it.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, he also said he thought it prevented a Depression; but it doesn't really matter. Any way you slice it, he's one guy.

You pay much more attention to the "D" and "R" stuff than I do. I disagree with him; I think that saying everything outside of the tax breaks from the stimulus was wasted is an instant credibility nosedive. There are projects and jobs in my area that benefitted, and plenty of other areas, and these are documented.

Do you want to argue that it didn't fulfill it's promise on jobs? Cool - no argument here. The problem with detractors is that they often go instantly for wild hyperbole that has little to do with reality, and so undermine whatever point they're trying to make.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoombwaz View Post
    BTW, in re: Bravo's comment that "it would be better if people had jobs and the economy shrunk." You all do realize that's not possible, don't you?
    of course its possible. Don't make me explain it.

It's the opposite of a jobless recovery.

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    A $400 'tax credit'.... spread out over 26 paychecks is NOT $30.... it is $15.38. 30.77 for married couples (or $15.38 each if they are both working).

So no... most people don't see or feel that $15. Especially when the price of gas goes up. They see their disposable income falling. They see unemployment STAYING at 9.5% despite their President saying it wouldn't go above 8%.

They SEE the public sector unions being protected at THEIR expense. But nothing being done to protect THEIR jobs.

They see the health care bill as a fiasco. One that will RAISE health care costs and also raise our national debt.

They SEE the smoke and mirrors the Dems tried in order to pretend the health care fiasco would lower the nations debt.

They SEE the increase in red tape the small business owners will now face with all the 1099's they must produce.

They SEE that the Dems were more concerned with their party's ideological agenda than with actually trying to aid the economy and the growth of jobs.

They SEE that the Dems have done NOTHING with regards to the tax brackets for next year.

They SEE the what the uncertainty the Dems have created is doing to job growth.

They are therefore going to vote the Dems out of the House leadership next Tuesday.

They are therefore going to bring more balance to the Senate.

They understand the lies that the Dems keep parroting about it being the Reps that drove the car in the ditch. They understand that the two party system needed a massive shake up.

Say goodbye to Speaker Pelosi. Say goodbye to Senator Reid.

The people are pissed. The people will be displaying their displeasure of incumbents on Tuesday.

They don't SEE shit. They only THINK they see, if the word "think" can even be applied here, because the people who believe all the dumb-shit stuff you wrote aren't thinking at all. They're just swallowing all the GOP hogwash, with out thinking how fucking little sense it all makes. Why would our health care costs go up? We already have the most expensive health care system in the fucking world. The countries with universal health care are paying between a quarter and a half of what we are paying. Yeah, their taxes may be a grand per year higher than ours, but that $2.000 in insurance premiums we pay? They don't pay any premiums. So let's put on our thinking caps boys and girls...too bad all of yours have points on them...an increase of $1,000 in taxes coupled with a $2,000 decrease in insurance premiums, results in a savings of $1,000 dollars. And that's what we would have right now, if you dipshits hadn't listened to the lies those GOP pricks were spreading about universal heath care, which is exactly what those lying motherfuckers have as members if congress...free single-payer health care. AND NOT ONE OF THEM DOESN'T WANT IT. Why is it fine for them, but not for us? Every country that has universal health care pays less than we do, and not one country that has tried it has gone back to medicine for profit. NOT A SINGLE FUCKING ONE. So why don't you all put your pointed hats back on and tell the rest of us why that is.

If brains were dynamite...

Charles Barkley

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NigelTufnel View Post
    How about you let us know exactly what he said and exactly when he said it.
    Or you can read about it yourself.

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=5029
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Or you can read about it yourself.

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=5029

Thanks.

So your position is that Bennett thinks the $787 billion stimulus bill came at a cost of $13 trillion and that he was not noticeably behind in the polls on August 21, 2010, ten days after Rasmussen showed him trailing by 5 points?

OK.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks.

So your position is that Bennett thinks the $787 billion stimulus bill came at a cost of $13 trillion and that he was not noticeably behind in the polls on August 21, 2010, ten days after Rasmussen showed him trailing by 5 points?

OK.
    I see you took it out of context because you want to continue to apologize for a D caught in a moment of truth. He was answering the question based on the spending in his term.

I think Bennet believes that the $3 Trillion in spending that was added during his term is part of the $13 Trillion that has "nothing to show for it." Mostly because I take him at his word and within context. I also note that you said he said it now, during desperation time.

I agree he is desperate now, but I disagree that he wasn't telling the truth back then. Nowadays he desperately tries to crawfish out of the truth into ridiculous spin, during the desperation hour you try to back away from things like that especially when you first said you didn't support it yet continued to vote for every one of them.

I also think that you want to continue to support whatever comes so long as it comes from a D. More stimulus? If a D says so, you'll support it and say it saved us. More wireless wiretapping? It's all good, because it is a D in that office now.

I spoke against it back when the R was in the office, I spoke against it when the D was in office. I've been consistent in my position.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,155 Times in 33,858 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not really sure what to say about this, but it's interesting:

I guess all these folks getting their economic information from CNBC must have it on mute.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-tax-cuts.html
    I go to Bloomberg! It is one of my news sources! i would say they listen to cnbc, then tune to Fox and loose their minds!

13. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Methinks Damo is a little too eager to believe a "D" just because he seems to agree with an "R".

Damo - there is no "moment of truth" in saying that all of the actual spending in the stimulus - 100% of it - was wasted....

14. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Methinks Damo is a little too eager to believe a "D" just because he seems to agree with an "R".

Damo - there is no "moment of truth" in saying that all of the actual spending in the stimulus - 100% of it - was wasted....
    As if. I've spent the last decade we have known each other speaking against both R and D spending. Spending drives taxation, there is no getting around that. You can try to push it off to the future by using debt, but the reality of it is this election is about the spending.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I see you took it out of context because you want to continue to apologize for a D caught in a moment of truth. He was answering the question based on the spending in his term.

I think Bennet believes that the $3 Trillion in spending that was added during his term is part of the $13 Trillion that has "nothing to show for it." Mostly because I take him at his word and within context. I also note that you said he said it now, during desperation time.
    Where's the question? I just saw his answer that clearly isn't restricted to spending during his term and clearly is not simply in reference to the stimulus. I take him at his clear meaning.

I agree he is desperate now, but I disagree that he wasn't telling the truth back then. Nowadays he desperately tries to crawfish out of the truth into ridiculous spin, during the desperation hour you try to back away from things like that especially when you first said you didn't support it yet continued to vote for every one of them.

I also think that you want to continue to support whatever comes so long as it comes from a D. More stimulus? If a D says so, you'll support it and say it saved us. More wireless wiretapping? It's all good, because it is a D in that office now.

I spoke against it back when the R was in the office, I spoke against it when the D was in office. I've been consistent in my position.

I'm not arguing this nonsense with you.