Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand: A Liberal Paradise

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,711 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default New Zealand: A Liberal Paradise

gun control, universal healthcare, huge public expenditures on education, public pensions, and education. Progressive environmental policy regulation. Signatory to Kyoto agreement.

You mentioned taxes Damo: New Zealand taxes exceed anything the american Democrats have proposed:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in...etaxrates.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I may, I think that what's really different about the New Zealand tax system is that they actually enforce it. There, someone at the 40% tax rate probably pays 40%. Here in the U.S., almost no one actually pays 39.5%: I actually pay about 12% in federal tax and I don't even try to shelter my income.

I'll bet you that's why their rates are about the same on paper yet government income is a much higher percentage of GDP.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    gun control, universal healthcare, huge public expenditures on education, public pensions, and education. Progressive environmental policy regulation. Signatory to Kyoto agreement.

You mentioned taxes Damo: New Zealand taxes exceed anything the american Democrats have proposed:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in...etaxrates.html
    However they aren't nearly as high as actual liberal paradises. I provided a link. Pretending that the actual information has no bearing on reality is the only way to pretend that the GDP information provided has some sort of link to reality.

The reality is New Zealand's healthcare system in some ways is more "left" than the US and in others more "right", that their taxation, while higher, are not punitive as they are in other "liberal meccas". That they are working to build a higher per capita GDP by smart immigration rather than just amnestying whomever might come in illegally as we are here is far more "right" than current US policy.

Less intrusive personal laws and relatively smaller population makes such a place appealing to me...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    If I may, I think that what's really different about the New Zealand tax system is that they actually enforce it. There, someone at the 40% tax rate probably pays 40%. Here in the U.S., almost no one actually pays 39.5%: I actually pay about 12% in federal tax and I don't even try to shelter my income.

I'll bet you that's why their rates are about the same on paper yet government income is a much higher percentage of GDP.

Ornot,

American conservatives or libetarians would have a heart-attack over NZ tax rates.

NZ's 40% bracket starts at 60k (NZ $ = maybe 90k US $).

Our 40% tax rate doesn't even kick in until around 350k US $, I think.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Damo, I don't think I've ever claimed NZ is the number one, most liberal country on the planet.

Broadly speaking though, their social, environmental, tax, and economic policies are more liberal than the United States.

I agree with you, that the most appealing factor is its size and rural character. That's why I'd live there too.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Ornot,

American conservatives or libetarians would have a heart-attack over NZ tax rates.

NZ's 40% bracket starts at 60k (NZ $ = maybe 90k US $).

Our 40% tax rate doesn't even kick in until around 350k US $, I think.
    That depends on if they enter with open eyes. Were I to move there it would be with an understanding of those rates. I would prefer those rates to the rates of Germany and many other "liberal meccas" where Universal Healthcare actually means Universal Healthcare....
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,904 Times in 21,666 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

What are the emmigration requirements? COuld I qualify to get citizenship? If I did not have so much family here in Florida, I might consider it!

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    What are the emmigration requirements? COuld I qualify to get citizenship? If I did not have so much family here in Florida, I might consider it!
    I seriously doubt they have a dearth of Lawyers. So, you would have to have assets that were very high indeed. They also have currently passed laws that make it a moving target so that it is difficult to know if you would be allowed to immigrate unless you had specific skills they are searching for and therefore recruiting for.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I seriously doubt they have a dearth of Lawyers. So, you would have to have assets that were very high indeed. They also have currently passed laws that make it a moving target so that it is difficult to know if you would be allowed to immigrate unless you had specific skills they are searching for and therefore recruiting for.

How would you find out such a thing? I would also consider Denmark, but its soo cold!

Funny how the VERY liberal nations are the ones so hard to get into!

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Type in New Zealand Immigration into Google. You'll find out what you can.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    How would you find out such a thing? I would also consider Denmark, but its soo cold!

Funny how the VERY liberal nations are the ones so hard to get into!
    I think you'd find that Denmark is the most conservative -- or least progressive, if you prefer -- of the Scandinavian countries. If you want really liberal, try Sweden.

Now, I wonder what Holland's immigration policy is like . . . .

-- V

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think you'd find that Denmark is the most conservative -- or least progressive, if you prefer -- of the Scandinavian countries. If you want really liberal, try Sweden.

HOlland is very strict, ive looked into it, so is Sweeden's. All the Scandanavian nations are!

LOCK HIM UP!

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,773 Times in 27,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

New Zeland has alot easier time controling illegal imigration than us seeing as how they are an Island without anything around then except the Aussies

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    New Zeland has alot easier time controling illegal imigration than us seeing as how they are an Island without anything around then except the Aussies
    Hey, if I were a Kiwi I'd want to keep that lot out, for sure.
    -- V

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Just stay away from New Zealand. I don't want any american gringos hogging the immigration waiting list, and bumping me to the back of the row!