Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage Is Overpayment

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Minimum Wage Is Overpayment

On Cspan a democrat used this example of why min wage needs to be raised. He said a woman who supported a family of three worked 9 years at min wage and couldn't pay her bills.

I say this woman is overpaid. If she worked 9 years in the same job and only made min wage she is an idiot and is overpaid at 5 dollars an hour.

Make a rational argument and not some made of BS of a story. And well if she is supporting a family of three then 2 dollars an hour more just isn't enought.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You just made my point on the "living wage issue" for me Toby thanks.
    our capabilities and intelligence levels are mostly determined at birth. Also whether we like to admit it or not a caste system exists in the USA. This cast system is not religious or unbreachable in nature , but it exists.
    Some people will only be able to ever handle a minimum wage job, should they be denied a reasonable living due to the circumstances of their intelligence level, which they have no control over ?
    I just hate to see people sufer from no fault of their own.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    You just made my point on the "living wage issue" for me Toby thanks.
    our capabilities and intelligence levels are mostly determined at birth. Also whether we like to admit it or not a caste system exists in the USA. This cast system is not religious or unbreachable in nature , but it exists.
    Some people will only be able to ever handle a minimum wage job, should they be denied a reasonable living due to the circumstances of their intelligence level, which they have no control over ?
    I just hate to see people sufer from no fault of their own.
    But . . . but . . . but us: what's the fun of being one of the lucky ones if you can't sneer at and belittle the other guys?
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    But . . . but . . . but us: what's the fun of being one of the lucky ones if you can't sneer at and belittle the other guys?
    Shoud that be on the republicans/demoncrat thread Ornot ?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is not the responsibility of private business to support retards. If you want give all idiots to have a min wage then make it a direct goverment program.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No toby ist is not the responsibility of businesses to do it, but I feel it is the responsibility of our society to do it. And businesses are a part of our society.
    We all would pay for it anyway in slightly elevated prices. I would much rather that raise goes into a working persons pocket that a millionaire's trading stocks on Wall street.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    It is not the responsibility of private business to support retards. If you want give all idiots to have a min wage then make it a direct goverment program.
    Oh, so you prefer welfare? Fascinating. Personally, I'd rather keep people off welfare unless absolutely necessary: it's too demeaning.

We all end up supporting the less able anyway. That's part of what society is for. A big part, actually.
    -- V

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I didn't say I agreed with US's point, but if that is his point then the problems should be addressed directly and not hidden away. If some people are to stupid to earn a living then maybe they shouldn't be paid to be in the workforce and should be handled in a more direct way.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I still have never seen anybody working for minumum... Truly, never. Everybody in the Denver Metro area makes more than the current suggestion to raise the minumum to...

I mean, I recently read a story of how hard it was for small business to find qualified people to work and have to raise the wages even higher to successfully obtain people to employ.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

All True Christians should support helping the less fortunate.
    Jesus said to do it, or so the rumor goes.

Toby I have worked with ARC and it is joyous to see how they just light up when they find out they can do a job like everyone else, even if it is just bagging groceries, or washing dishes. We are not much of anything without a sense of self worth and pride.

When I lived in FL I shopped at a grocery store that helped the local ARC chapter out with bagger, cart gatherer and cleaning jobs for the retards.
    I personally told the management on several occasions that I liked them doing that and it would keep me as a loyal customer.
    Last edited by uscitizen; 01-10-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spulling errorz

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

All True Christians should support helping the less fortunate.
    Jesus said to do it, or so the rumor goes.

Toby I have worked with ARC and it is joyous to see how they just light up when they find out they can do a job like everyone else, even if it is just bagging groceries, or washing dishes. We are not much of anything without a sense of self worth and pride.

When I lived in FL I shopped at a grocery store that helped the local ARC chapter out with bagger, cart gatherer and cleaning jobs for the retards.
    I personally told the management on several occasions that I liked them doing that and it would keep me as a loyal customer.
    However, the Government is not a Christian. All good Christians realize that it was a personal responsibility, not that of the government.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes Damo, but if the Christians are in the majority and this is a representative democracy type of government.....

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    However, the Government is not a Christian. All good Christians realize that it was a personal responsibility, not that of the government.
    Government is often the mechanism by which we fullfill our personal responsibilities. That's why we pay taxes and why taxes support social welfare. It's akin to putting money out of reach because we know that otherwise we'd spend it.
    -- V

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes Damo, but if the Christians are in the majority and this is a representative democracy type of government.....
    It doesn't matter. Relegating your responsibility to others (government) is not a Christian concept.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    Government is often the mechanism by which we fullfill our personal responsibilities. That's why we pay taxes and why taxes support social welfare. It's akin to putting money out of reach because we know that otherwise we'd spend it.
    Once again, the impersonal tool of government is a means to force others to follow your principles. In this case, it is not a personal obligation fulfilled, you have simply taken and given other's money in place of your own.

Christ never stated the Government was to be the means to fulfill your responsibility. He spoke of a very personal role you were to play in life, attempting to fulfill it through an impersonal means whereby others fulfill much of your obligation for you was not something that Christ preached.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle