1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Employment numbers out...

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...d=aTVb7FUwSaX4

While there was a decline this month, after factoring in the removal of census workers there was actually an increase in the private sector. That is a positive to take away from this report. The negative is that 83k jobs is no where near the pace we need to see a sustained economic recovery.

That said, to all the 'economists' (the unidentified ones in this article) that think we should only look at the private sector numbers going forward I ask....when the census HIRING was occurring and distorting the jobs numbers... why weren't you suggesting the same thing? I don't care if you want to change it... just be consistent.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

A pretty gloomy report. There is a cautiousness in hiring right now that seems to feed on itself, and was born during the crisis. It's like people need to be 100% sure we're recovering before they hire at any meaningful level.

Give me some of that good ol' fashioned risk-taking in American business. The stimulus is basically done & I don't see the gov't doing anything meaningful going forward; this thing is in the hands of the private sector now.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...d=aTVb7FUwSaX4

While there was a decline this month, after factoring in the removal of census workers there was actually an increase in the private sector. That is a positive to take away from this report. The negative is that 83k jobs is no where near the pace we need to see a sustained economic recovery.

That said, to all the 'economists' (the unidentified ones in this article) that think we should only look at the private sector numbers going forward I ask....when the census HIRING was occurring and distorting the jobs numbers... why weren't you suggesting the same thing? I don't care if you want to change it... just be consistent.
    is the increase greater than the losses

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,936 Times in 21,683 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,701 Times in 5,202 Posts
    Blog Entries

Funny how when the numbers were great, the conservatives simply ignored them and focused on the oil spill.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    A pretty gloomy report. There is a cautiousness in hiring right now that seems to feed on itself, and was born during the crisis. It's like people need to be 100% sure we're recovering before they hire at any meaningful level.

Give me some of that good ol' fashioned risk-taking in American business. The stimulus is basically done & I don't see the gov't doing anything meaningful going forward; this thing is in the hands of the private sector now.
    That is due to the expense of hiring/firing people. They don't want to go to the trouble to train someone only to have to let them go (and pay unemployment again) six months later. Because odds are, those people they trained are not going to be the ones they bring back 1-2 years down the road.

That is why employment numbers are such a lagging indicator. The market and economy will be rallying for months before employment gets better. We will max out capacity of the existing work force before adding to it.

There will be no good old fashion risk taking (or little of it) with the credit markets the way they are. As we discussed yesterday, the pendulum has swung way to far to the other extreme. Small businesses are hurting and that is where you typically find that risk taking.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    is the increase greater than the losses
    Could you clarify? Are you referring to this month?
    Quote from Cypress:

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Funny how when the numbers were great, the conservatives simply ignored them and focused on the oil spill.
    Funny how your stupidity also carries with it amnesia. We had entire threads discussing the employment numbers. But I would love for you to tell us when the numbers 'looked great'
    Quote from Cypress:

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cheerleading America into the ground wont work, we are stronger than that.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The #'s were never really that great; the census made them look that way. They were, however, more solid overall; things looked better a few months ago.

There is some sort of pause for breath going on; we're right on the fence at the moment. One piece of big news could tip us either way right now....

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That is due to the expense of hiring/firing people. They don't want to go to the trouble to train someone only to have to let them go (and pay unemployment again) six months later. Because odds are, those people they trained are not going to be the ones they bring back 1-2 years down the road.

That is why employment numbers are such a lagging indicator. The market and economy will be rallying for months before employment gets better. We will max out capacity of the existing work force before adding to it.

There will be no good old fashion risk taking (or little of it) with the credit markets the way they are. As we discussed yesterday, the pendulum has swung way to far to the other extreme. Small businesses are hurting and that is where you typically find that risk taking.
    Yeah; it's almost like we're being forced to re-evaluate the way business is done in America. Unfortunately, the "new" model will probably not be as fun; I'm sure we'll have good economic periods in our lifetimes, but I don't think anything like the '90's will be possible again. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree about small businesses; they're really setting the tone right now.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah; it's almost like we're being forced to re-evaluate the way business is done in America. Unfortunately, the "new" model will probably not be as fun; I'm sure we'll have good economic periods in our lifetimes, but I don't think anything like the '90's will be possible again. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree about small businesses; they're really setting the tone right now.
    I am for a new way for business to be done in America, I am for the rise of the small business. This will be very healthy for the average American. I hope we never go back to the 90's. I am for slow sustainable growth and more and stronger small businesses.

LOCK HIM UP!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Could you clarify? Are you referring to this month?
    sure

month or overall...you said there was an increase in the private sector, is that increase greater than the losses...iirc....the admin has tried to pass of gains while ignoring the reality the losses are greater than the gains

iow...saying we gained 80,000 new jobs, while 90,000 people lost their jobs, isn't really a net gain

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The #'s were never really that great; the census made them look that way. They were, however, more solid overall; things looked better a few months ago.

There is some sort of pause for breath going on; we're right on the fence at the moment. One piece of big news could tip us either way right now....
    Agreed. The problem is the potential big news is lining up for the wrong direction. There are about ten shoes that could drop on the negative and none on the positive that I can see.

Unfortunately the big news on the positive side is going to have to come from DC. The private sector is not going to move on its own in this environment. I do not blame Obama for everything going on, but we do need to see him step up and lead.

Kerry had another piece out discussing alt/clean energy push today. In it he stated we must have a carbon penalty as a part of any plan. That sort of idiocy is why the private sector will not move on its own.

Kerry does bring up some good points on the economic benefits of reducing oil consumption and thus dependency on foreign oil. But as usual, his 'solutions' are more of the same stupid bullshit that won't get us where we need to go.

How hard is it to understand.... TRANSPORTATION consumes about 70% of our daily oil needs. The technology exists TODAY to convert our vehicles (at least those on the road) to Nat Gas. Everyone write to your Senators and Rep and point out this simple little FACT.

You want the big breaker on the positive side... here is my suggestion....

1) Announce plans to build out the Nat Gas infrastructure in the US (creates jobs HERE)

2) Announce plans to drill our nat gas reserves (creates jobs HERE)

3) Announce regulations that require all autos/buses/trucks to switch to Nat Gas within 3 years (for all new cars produced) and 7 years for all used cars. The 3 years for new cars gives the auto makers time to retool as needed and provides time for the gas distributors to get all stations capable of distributing nat gas.

4) Announce regulations that state all gas stations must have nat gas pumps available (not solely) within 3 years.

Not only would this plan create jobs, it would also create a drastic reduction in oil consumption and reduce our dependency on foreign oil.

It would also give CONFIDENCE to the American public that the idiots in DC were finally learning how to effectively help the economy while at the same time help the environment.

Will this solve all pollution concerns... of course not... but it is a great start and provides more time for us to tweak other alt energy sources and get them to economically viable production.
    Quote from Cypress:

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    sure

month or overall...you said there was an increase in the private sector, is that increase greater than the losses...iirc....the admin has tried to pass of gains while ignoring the reality the losses are greater than the gains

iow...saying we gained 80,000 new jobs, while 90,000 people lost their jobs, isn't really a net gain
    thanks.... the NET jobs number was a loss for the month of about 125k, which was reported on every site that I have read this morning. I was the one that pulled out the private side (just as I did when all the census hiring was distorting the numbers to the positive a few months ago). The economist quoted in the story are correct to discount the census jobs as we all knew they were temporary going in.
    Quote from Cypress:

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wish they'd do something other than try to pass legislation based on the "Crisis in the Gulf" to restrict the private sector.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle