Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sen. Robert Byrd, D-WV, Dead at 92

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Default Sen. Robert Byrd, D-WV, Dead at 92

Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, the longest-serving senator in American history, died Monday at the age of 92, a spokesman for the family said.

Byrd, a Democrat who served in the U.S. Senate since 1959, had been plagued by health problems in recent years and was confined to a wheelchair. He had skipped several votes in Congress in the past months.

Jesse Jacobs, a family spokesman, said Byrd died peacefully at about 3 a.m. at Inova Hospital in Fairfax, Va.

He was the oldest member of the 111th Congress.

The passing of Sen. Byrd will not affect the balance of power in the Senate. West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin, a Democrat, will appoint a replacement senator to serve out the remainder of Byrd's term which ends in 2012.

Byrd held a number of leadership roles during his tenure in the Senate, including conference secretary, majority whip and majority leader -- twice.

Prior to his death, Byrd worked as the president pro tempore -- the second highest ranking official in the Senate and the highest ranking senator in the majority party, putting Byrd third in line to the presidency.

He also served as the senior member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, and the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security. Other committees on which Byrd served were the Senate Budget, Armed Services and Rules and Administration Committees.

Byrd, who never lost an election, cast more than 18,540 roll call votes -- more than any other senator in U.S. history. He had a 98 percent attendance record in his more than five decades of service in the Senate, according to his Web site.

It'll be amusing to watch our "First Black President" eulogize a former Klansman.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will this put a nail in coffin of the financial overhaul?
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,003 Times in 32,308 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

I will never understand what motivates politicians to work until they are in their 90s....whether it be Byrd or Thurmond.......

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I will never understand what motivates politicians to work until they are in their 90s....whether it be Byrd or Thurmond.......
    I can imagine it might be hard to give up so much power.

As they joke about CEO's when they retire they go from the list of 'Who's Who' to 'Who's He?'

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Will the Whitehouse be flying the white sheets at half staff today??

Sen. Robert "KKK" Byrd (D) - "There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word."

Attachment 446

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

bye bye Byrdie

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bout time he finally died.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Unhappy

The KKK lost its finest Grand Dragon today.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,681 Times in 7,373 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post
    Will the Whitehouse be flying the white sheets at half staff today??

Sen. Robert "KKK" Byrd (D) - "There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word."

Attachment 446
    Let's all give a BIG round of applause for another shining display of Rightie civility and decorum!!

The body's not even cold yet, and already the vicious little barbs are flying...CONGRATS you guys...you do the country proud!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    Let's all give a BIG round of applause for another shining display of Rightie civility and decorum!!

The body's not even cold yet, and already the vicious little barbs are flying...CONGRATS you guys...you do the country proud!
    You shut up Mr. Negative Rep woman.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    They get the idea that they are indispensable. That without them, specifically, in the seat the State would be "harmed" because a new Senator just couldn't do what they can...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Let's see.... A job where I can make shit loads of money and not even show up or deliver any results what so ever? And each year my chance of losing said job diminishes exponentially? And I would want to resign, why?
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    Let's see.... A job where I can make shit loads of money and not even show up or deliver any results what so ever? And each year my chance of losing said job diminishes exponentially? And I would want to resign, why?
    Well, this is the real reason, however they convince themselves of my post just above this one... They talk themselves into believing in their own "indispensability"...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Well, this is the real reason, however they convince themselves of my post just above this one... They talk themselves into believing in their own "indispensability"...
    Often times they do this before they're ever elected.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    cause you have to pay several million dollars for a job that only pays $400,000/year.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!