Thread: Evaluating Teacher Performance

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Evaluating Teacher Performance

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061704565.html

I was unable to quote this, so will now respond from this post.

The right way to assess teachers' performance
    By Michele Kerr
    Friday, June 18, 2010; A27

The Obama administration's Race to the Top program demands that teachers be evaluated by student test scores. Florida's legislature passed a bill in April to end teacher tenure and base pay increases on test-score improvement; although Gov. Charlie Crist vetoed that attempt, legislatures in Colorado, New York, Oklahoma and other states have also modified regulations regarding tenure with an eye toward Race to the Top. Teachers protest, but they are dismissed as union hacks with lousy skills, intent on protecting their cushy tenured jobs because they could never cut it in the real world.

I'm a first-year, second-career high school teacher, a "highly qualified" teacher of math, English and social science, a standing I achieved by passing rigorous tests. I'm not a union fan, nor am I in favor of pay increases based on seniority or added education. Like many new teachers throughout the country, I was pink-slipped and am looking for work, so I don't have a cushy job to protect.

I'm not your typical teacher. But I believe I speak for many teachers when I say I'm willing to be tested on student performance, provided certain conditions are met. So let's negotiate.

I propose that:...
    I'm going to post her points, but not the explanations, check the link for those, they're worthwhile:

(1) Teachers be assessed based on only those students with 90 percent or higher attendance. I had 3 students this past year that were absent every test date. All of which were 'A' students, but would they be if put under all class testing? Maybe, maybe not. Then there are those that miss school whenever they can get their parent to allow. They are not there for lecture, have no way of going beyond the text.

(2) Teachers be allowed to remove disruptive students from their classroom on a day-to-day basis.
    This past year the 6th grade had a kid that had an IQ supposedly above 160, measured by standardized test the past 3 years. He barked in class, growled too. When reprimanded he would control it for about a minute. He also picked his nose and held up his finds. Disruptive? Oh yea. Once I knew my job no longer hinged on my performance, I sent him to the office on 3rd offense. That would be reasonable without threat, but couldn't be don
    e. Would have been cause for dismissal.

(3) Students who don't achieve "basic" proficiency in a state test be prohibited from moving forward to the next class in the progression.
    If the student hasn't the skills, then they need remedial help, not being pushed forward.

(4) That teachers be assessed on student improvement, not an absolute standard -- the so-called value-added assessment.
    If the kids are being pushed forward, then the teacher needs to be evaluated by gains. If a kid is reading at 5th grade coming in, but 7th coming out, even though an 11th grader, that's a huge jump.
    I'd like some comments from fellow teachers and the m pop before I add my opinion.
    Last edited by Annie; 06-22-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
    This is known as “bad luck.” - Robert Heinlein

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

What do you think of the CO version? It also changes tenure and bases raises (and even job retention) to student improvement.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just add your f**king opinion annie. You never say sh*t. stop being a little hothouse flower.

Teachers are getting f**ked. That's true. I feel sorry for them being in the middle of all educational reality being swept under the rug.
    Last edited by Damocles; 06-22-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: APP edit

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    Just add your f**king opinion annie. You never say sh*t. stop being a little hothouse flower.

Teachers are getting f**ked. That's true. I feel sorry for them being in the middle of all educational reality being swept under the rug.
    I thought the last time we communicated we were going to give each other space and respect. I guess I was mistaken.

I notice you didn't respond to the post, but never mind, you are incapable of conversation.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    What do you think of the CO version? It also changes tenure and bases raises (and even job retention) to student improvement.
    I'm not familiar with it, do you have a link?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I thought the last time we communicated we were going to give each other space and respect. I guess I was mistaken.

I notice you didn't respond to the post, but never mind, you are incapable of conversation.
    I did actually mention a little about teachers being in a hard spot.

you still haven't delivered your gold plated dog turd yet.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with it, do you have a link?
    http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2...-nation-world/
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A quick perusal says they are relying on standards like NCLB. Not fair and not a good indicator. The WaPo article is more on target, whether deciding tenure issues or merit pay.

Many teachers hit the goals until they get tenure, then slide shortly thereafter. Merit pay would help address those problems. But the criteria needs to be fair.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Kathianne. Our previous rancor aside, do you think classrooms are divided enough by skill level? Or are they doing a one size fits all type thing? I know this probably varies wildly around the country. I see richer schools having more remedial and advanced. what's your experience?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A quick perusal says they are relying on standards like NCLB. Not fair and not a good indicator. The WaPo article is more on target, whether deciding tenure issues or merit pay.

Many teachers hit the goals until they get tenure, then slide shortly thereafter. Merit pay would help address those problems. But the criteria needs to be fair.
    Oddly enough it was a D controlled legislature and Governor who made it all happen.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061704565.html

I was unable to quote this, so will now respond from this post.

I'm going to post her points, but not the explanations, check the link for those, they're worthwhile:

If the kids are being pushed forward, then the teacher needs to be evaluated by gains. If a kid is reading at 5th grade coming in, but 7th coming out, even though an 11th grader, that's a huge jump.
    I'd like some comments from fellow teachers and the m pop before I add my opinion.
    The odds of a student who is held back more than one year to drop out are extreme. Its a problem that holding a student back can potentially do as much harm as promoting them without the necessary basic skills in level reading, writing, and math. I think students should be required to receive tutoring and summer programs if they are behind. Don't hold them back once they are past the 6th grade, and don't hold them back more than once, regardless.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    The odds of a student who is held back more than one year to drop out are extreme. Its a problem that holding a student back can potentially do as much harm as promoting them without the necessary basic skills in level reading, writing, and math. I think students should be required to receive tutoring and summer programs if they are behind. Don't hold them back once they are past the 6th grade, and don't hold them back more than once, regardless.
    social promotion. You're part of the problem. Are you in teaching? god help the future.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    If their ability prevents grade level success, they need additional help. The IEP can provide for that, but they are no longer part of the measurement.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    Kathianne. Our previous rancor aside, do you think classrooms are divided enough by skill level? Or are they doing a one size fits all type thing? I know this probably varies wildly around the country. I see richer schools having more remedial and advanced. what's your experience?
    The school I was in only had 1 class of each year, so no ability grouping. While parochial schools may have slightly higher income than neighborhood, not homogenous throughout the school. There are the 'rich kids' and everyone else.

Misinformation says they 'cherry pick' the students, on the contrary enrollment numbers dictate pretty much they take anyone who walks in the door, no mandates to get kids in. This past year I had a 6th grader that truly belongs in a self-contained BD class, but there he is and has been since 4th grade. It's wrong for him, wrong for the rest of the class, but he pays tuition. He's an extreme, but not the only kid who's needs aren't being met.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

what about the students that are significantly above or below the average

also, what about teaching children to think

the outliers are always a problem in a system geared to the 'norm'
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America