Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 139

Thread: Motts growing nightmare

  1. #121 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,386
    Thanks
    877
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Apple, you're complete inability to move beyond materialism is what's wrong with your arguments. The American Founders were not leftists, and hence, absolutely nothing about their worldview was in any way driven by materialism. The Natural Rights that constitute American liberty are grounded in principle. Principles such as civic virtue, ordered liberty, belief in a higher power and purpose, and honor.

    Stop looking at this matter through materialist prisms, such as class warfare and welfare bureaucracy. People experience liberty through independence and self-determination, also known as equality of opportunity. Not through equality of circumstance!

    "The US Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
    -Benjamin Franklin
    The opportunity is not here today. Acquiring a piece of land requires more than a fast horse in a land rush. How many people can take a rifle and go hunt dinner?

    When the ideas in the Constitution were put on paper the reality was different. People were a lot more equal in the sense everyone was required to do the same thing the same way. If one wanted a garden they had to dig the soil by hand which changed with the invention of the tractor and other farming instruments. The same applies to almost everything else.

    The reality of 1776 is no longer. If one insists on sticking with the same principals we have to ensure other things are as equal as they were in 1776.

    There is no "equal opportunity" today unless the government makes it so. For example, survival largely depends on education and acquiring an education is not an equal opportunity for everyone because not everyone can afford an education.

    From products to services technology has replaced the idea the average person can earn a living simply by working. What we consider menial tasks today, tasks most anyone can perform, were "trades" and "professions" of yesteryear. Thus, everyone had the same opportunity. With a decent work ethic anyone could earn a living because earning a living did not require specialized knowledge. Most people were capable of doing some required job regardless of their education.

    Considering opportunities and circumstances/reality have changed over the last 200+ years wouldn't the Founding Fathers still have wanted each and everyone to have similar opportunities and chances to pursue the benefits of liberty?

    You're right. It wasn't about materialism in 1776 because it didn't matter then. The person with no education and no money had just as much a chance to acquire a piece of land and do a job as anyone else.

    That has changed. Isn't it time we all adjusted to the reality?
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

  2. #122 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    39,053
    Thanks
    3,463
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    1,184
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post

    The reality of 1776 is no longer. If one insists on sticking with the same principals we have to ensure other things are as equal as they were in 1776.
    Massive fail, no possibility for recovery.

  3. #123 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    65,330
    Thanks
    17,613
    Thanked 17,626 Times in 13,238 Posts
    Groans
    628
    Groaned 1,116 Times in 1,060 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    The opportunity is not here today. Acquiring a piece of land requires more than a fast horse in a land rush. How many people can take a rifle and go hunt dinner?

    When the ideas in the Constitution were put on paper the reality was different. People were a lot more equal in the sense everyone was required to do the same thing the same way. If one wanted a garden they had to dig the soil by hand which changed with the invention of the tractor and other farming instruments. The same applies to almost everything else.

    The reality of 1776 is no longer. If one insists on sticking with the same principals we have to ensure other things are as equal as they were in 1776.

    There is no "equal opportunity" today unless the government makes it so. For example, survival largely depends on education and acquiring an education is not an equal opportunity for everyone because not everyone can afford an education.

    From products to services technology has replaced the idea the average person can earn a living simply by working. What we consider menial tasks today, tasks most anyone can perform, were "trades" and "professions" of yesteryear. Thus, everyone had the same opportunity. With a decent work ethic anyone could earn a living because earning a living did not require specialized knowledge. Most people were capable of doing some required job regardless of their education.

    Considering opportunities and circumstances/reality have changed over the last 200+ years wouldn't the Founding Fathers still have wanted each and everyone to have similar opportunities and chances to pursue the benefits of liberty?

    You're right. It wasn't about materialism in 1776 because it didn't matter then. The person with no education and no money had just as much a chance to acquire a piece of land and do a job as anyone else.

    That has changed. Isn't it time we all adjusted to the reality?
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.


    "That, is why you fail." -Yoda

  4. #124 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    17,247
    Thanks
    846
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    304
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Liberalism Defined.

    Same argument given by righties on birthright citizenship.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

  5. #125 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    65,330
    Thanks
    17,613
    Thanked 17,626 Times in 13,238 Posts
    Groans
    628
    Groaned 1,116 Times in 1,060 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Same argument given by righties on birthright citizenship.
    Personally, I'm not going to worry much if we continue to allow anchor babies or if we amend to constitution to address it. I don't even know if abolishing anchor babies would effect illegal immigration much.

    If we were doing a good job of securing the border, tossing people out who are caught here on expired Visas, mainstreaming more people onto green card programs, and whatnot, then it wouldn't have become an issue to begin with.

  6. #126 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,493
    Thanks
    711
    Thanked 520 Times in 401 Posts
    Groans
    51
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dancer View Post
    The word "welfare" appears twice in the Constitution. Once in the preamble and again in Article 1, Section 8, as the introduction and purpose of the enumerated powers..

    The preamble to the Constitution states:

    "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

    Article 1, Section 8 states:

    "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States."


    In the second useage we can see that it follows the collection of taxes and how they shall be used; cobbled with the first useage we can see that the general welfare relates to using taxes for paying down debt and defence of the country; This interpretation supports the promotion of the peoples general welfare by protecting life and prosperity and encouraging productivity.

    Never can it be imposed to suggest that "promoting" a nation of peoples "general" welfare constitutes taking money from the haves to give to the have nots. Another example of "general" welfare for the people would be taxes being spent on roadways; they promote the "general" welfare of all the peoples ability to go from one place to another...they certainly aid in productivity and defence.
    hummhuhhummmhuhubhuhummm~~~

  7. #127 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    29,414
    Thanks
    4,801
    Thanked 12,807 Times in 8,884 Posts
    Groans
    98
    Groaned 2,831 Times in 2,600 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.
    Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined. Liberalism Defined.


    "[/I]
    Partly, and mostly true.

  8. #128 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    29,414
    Thanks
    4,801
    Thanked 12,807 Times in 8,884 Posts
    Groans
    98
    Groaned 2,831 Times in 2,600 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Yep

  9. #129 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    29,414
    Thanks
    4,801
    Thanked 12,807 Times in 8,884 Posts
    Groans
    98
    Groaned 2,831 Times in 2,600 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Personally, I'm not going to worry much if we continue to allow anchor babies or if we amend to constitution to address it. I don't even know if abolishing anchor babies would effect illegal immigration much.

    If we were doing a good job of securing the border, tossing people out who are caught here on expired Visas, mainstreaming more people onto green card programs, and whatnot, then it wouldn't have become an issue to begin with.
    I like them here. I like them better than you people. They are polite and work really hard. White entitled old farts want to suck the creme and do no real work. We should deport Republicans. Lazy and stupid.

  10. #130 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    8,472
    Thanks
    5,440
    Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,727 Posts
    Groans
    250
    Groaned 97 Times in 95 Posts

    Default

    Mott is a commie cocksucker!

  11. #131 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    8,472
    Thanks
    5,440
    Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,727 Posts
    Groans
    250
    Groaned 97 Times in 95 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I like them here. I like them better than you people. They are polite and work really hard. White entitled old farts want to suck the creme and do no real work. We should deport Republicans. Lazy and stupid.
    Whose parents built everything you enjoy, fucktard.

    No Mexican I've seen has skills on par with mine in the line of work I'm in, not even close. 2 different professions, not even close.

    The 1st one, we'd get paid 2x+ what the Mexicans did because we guarantee it's done right. Even if it's cheap shit, we give it the "Get it done right even if it's cheap stuff" treatment.
    Our stuff was always proper. Same thing with what I do now, them boys are retarded. I've seen 1 set an aluminum ladder on a 7600V service wire. I saw it happening and was yelling and everything from 30 yards away..derp! Yeah, I don't even consider Mexicans working with me. Maybe if I knew a naturalized one or natural-born that knew his stuff, but I just do not see that.

    What I do see is me getting undercut by a fat blonde white guy that works a crew of Mexicans. 7/10 times in the past 8 13 years he's undercut me on jobs.

    Their work looks like shit, too. If they hadn't done my neighbor a good, I'd call ICE on them.

    Unfortunately I've met the dudes, and I like 'em, and they did my neighbor right.

    The quality of work is not there unless you want everything gone.
    Their fat blonde boss has beaten me out of at least 10 jobs because they'll work cheaper than me an my homies, though.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 11-18-2020 at 08:18 PM.

  12. #132 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    26,116
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    85
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    I hope you're able to look back on this and laugh.

  13. #133 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    65,330
    Thanks
    17,613
    Thanked 17,626 Times in 13,238 Posts
    Groans
    628
    Groaned 1,116 Times in 1,060 Posts

  14. #134 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    8,029
    Thanks
    3,229
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 3,710 Posts
    Groans
    105
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,003 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by /MSG/ View Post
    In other words, Libertarianism.
    Yeah all those successful Libertarian countries. How many of those are there now? And what is the current population of Liberland? Are you posting from there?
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

    Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.


    It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

    This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.


    https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

  15. #135 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 68 Times in 58 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I like them here. I like them better than you people. They are polite and work really hard. White entitled old farts want to suck the creme and do no real work. We should deport Republicans. Lazy and stupid.
    Wow! What kind of loser would resurrect a ten-year old thread simply so he could take a cheap shot at patriots??

    (Pretty new here. Making an effort to be civil in my posts, though I have little company. I don't use the word "loser" casually.)

Similar Threads

  1. Oil spill a nightmare for Obama
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 07:07 PM
  2. One more day, our long national nightmare will be over!
    By Jarod in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 10:26 AM
  3. Had a nightmare last night
    By FUCK THE POLICE in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 07:07 AM
  4. My American nightmare
    By FUCK THE POLICE in forum Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM
  5. Congolese Nightmare
    By Cypress in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 12:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •