Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama's First Address from Oval Office... and no thread about it?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Default Obama's First Address from Oval Office... and no thread about it?

Okay, once again, a major news event happened, and not a soul here posted about it. I thought this was supposed to be a political message board? Even in Bush's worst hour, whenever he gave an address from the oval office, there was someone here within minutes posting about it. This is really strange, are you guys too busy playing the Werewolf game?

Now to my analysis of his speech. I thought it sucked.

He spent the first several minutes, telling us how he has been on top of this from Day 1, the number of responders who were immediately dispatched, and still remain, the world's greatest General is overseeing things, all the government agencies jumped into action from the very start! I know this was to combat the complaint that he has done nothing, but I think it drives home the point there is nothing the government can do. All of this response from all these government entities, and the oil is still gushing into the gulf. I mean, what difference does it make, how many resources have been dispatched, when they are tripping over each other and basically getting in the way of the people who know how to deal with this disaster? Why weren't experts from the Netherlands and Saudi Arabia called in? (or at least have their phone calls returned?)

Then he had to sound angry and tough on BP, announcing he was going to "inform" them that they MUST put money in an escrow account... the president has no such constitutional authority to do this. Any such arrangement was predetermined and agreed to (probably suggested) by BP. The interesting thing is, BP has said from the start, they are going to make this right, they are going to pay for the damages... but that's not good enough for a liberal, in fact, that is totally unacceptable. We can't let BP have the chance to be responsible, how would that look? We must let government take control of this before BP has the opportunity to do the right thing here.

Next, he launched into his pitch for cap and trade, with elegant Kennedy-like phrases and platitudes. He doesn't know how we are going to become energy independent, or how we are going to get there, but he promised to drag us into the wilderness to throw trillions of dollars at the wall until he figures it out. And even though thousands of jobs along the gulf coast are going to be destroyed, it is important we continue to have a moratorium on offshore drilling. Why? Well because we need to figure out what government regulations didn't work, and what new ones are needed in the future to prevent something like this from happening again. It really doesn't matter that the well explosion was not because of a lack of regulations. It doesn't matter that government was too incompetent to oversee the current regulations, we must add some more! That's always the answer from a liberal!

I caught several lies in his speech, most notably, that we have "run out of places to drill for oil" ....that is why he says we are 50 miles out in the gulf drilling. Well, what about ANWR? What about the thousands of other places we could safely and efficiently drill for oil without disrupting the environment, yet we can't drill there because of the environmentalists? Yeah, I guess after you take out all the places we could drill, but environmentalists don't want us to, then we've "run out" of places! So we're going to stop drilling for the oil we need, and buy more from the Arabs, while we fund a series of super-projects which amount to geeks in their basement, turning cars into golf carts! THAT is Obama's "Energy Plan!"

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess there is one now.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

"I thought it sucked."

I've gotta say, this shocks me. You're usually so quick with praise when it comes to Obama...

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Had anything of consequence been stated last night, I am sure there would have been numerous threads.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

Dixie your a moron and outside of Bama your education level is barely a GED.

He got 20,000,000,000 today from BP that is the hugest win for any president since WWII.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,970 Times in 32,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I take it as a promising sign....

they complained he hadn't met with the BP president, within a week he did....
    they complained he hadn't addressed the nation, within a week he did....
    they complained he hadn't stopped the leak.....I'm hoping for a trend.....

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post

He got 20,000,000,000 today from BP that is the hugest win for any president since WWII.
    /boggle.....how so....they were responsible for all the damages yesterday, they are responsible for all the damages today.....what did Obama "get"?.......

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    /boggle.....how so....they were responsible for all the damages yesterday, they are responsible for all the damages today.....what did Obama "get"?.......
    I know your a simpleton, so I'll go slow.

The law which many of you are clueless about limits thier liabilty to 75MM, today they are funding 20 billion which has nothing to do with clean up.
    Now most people don't trust corporation to do the right thing, Obama deserves and get 99% of the credit for the brilliant idea to fund the escrow.

Watch what I'm saying. Jesus freaks, white trash and tea baggers wouldn't vote for Jesus if he ran as a democrat. The normal people will be thrilled with Obama's achievement.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

You have to keep watching the hands, they are quicker than the eye! BP has always been fully willing and committed to paying legitimate claims and taking care of the damage, but the Obama Liberals couldn't let that happen! How would it look if a private enterprise took responsibility and did the right thing? Especially one of those mean greedy Big Oil companies! If they had been allowed to get away with that, it would have completely undermined the liberal idea that we must have the government taking care of such things!

So now we have the great and wonderful government, saviors of the little guy, stepping in and demanding BP give THEM the money to distribute, because they are much better qualified to handle the money and claims, even though BP hasn't had the opportunity to do it yet, but was more than willing to do so.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

you two need to get a room as most repulican males usually wind up doing.

Most people believed BP would pay like they do when you say the check is in the mail. Only a complete MORON doesn't see this as huge.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

seems like it's you and Obama that need a room....he's made BP do nothing it wasn't already obligated to do....and beyond their continued obligation to cover damages, nothing's been fixed that was broken before....

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

seems like it's you and Obama that need a room....he's made BP do nothing it wasn't already obligated to do....and beyond their continued obligation to cover damages, nothing's been fixed that was broken before....
    you did say you went to college right, what part of 75m cap do you not understand in regards to obligated.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

half of the people that need that money will most likely never see it due to the red tape bureaucracy required to apply for it.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    half of the people that need that money will most likely never see it due to the red tape bureaucracy required to apply for it.
    true, but the other half will split 20b's instead of 75m

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

true, but the other half will split 20b's instead of 75m
    split? surely you jest?

that other half will get the minimum the government feels they are allowed, then all that money thats left that didn't get doled out goes where?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.