Thread: 'Sanctuary Cities' Fight Arizona's New Immigration Law Without Offering Sanctuary

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Default 'Sanctuary Cities' Fight Arizona's New Immigration Law Without Offering Sanctuary

They may call themselves "sanctuary cities," but very few of them are offering sanctuary to the illegal immigrants in Arizona who now face possible arrest and deportation.

As San Francisco and other "sanctuary cities" declare war on Arizona over its new law cracking down on illegal immigrants, most state and local governments that provide a safe haven to undocumented workers refused to publicly roll out a welcome mat for the estimated 440,000 illegals in the Grand Canyon state.

Several mid-size cities and states with policies that seek to protect undocumented workers either declined to comment to FoxNews.com on whether it would accept Arizona's illegal immigrants or said the possibility had not been considered.

"We don't have any actions planned," said Jillian Schoene, a spokeswoman for Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski. "If I have a chance to take this up with the governor, I'll call you back."

Bill Begley, a spokesman for Mayor Mike Moncrief of Fort Worth, Texas, told FoxNews.com that he couldn't comment on whether the city, with its population of more than 700,000, would take in any of Arizona's illegal immigrants.

"We'd have to sit down about any overt offer that would address that issue," he said. "That's not something I can talk about off the top of my head."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ing-sanctuary/

Bitch and complain about Arizona, but then shut up immediately about having the illegals move to their state or city.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post
    Bitch and complain about Arizona, but then shut up immediately about having the illegals move to their state or city.
    This surprises me not at all. It's the old "not in my backyard" mentality. just imagine the political fallout for the first mayor to publicly throw open the doors to his or her sanctuary city...

I imagine most residents of these cities do not favor, even resent, the sanctuary stance the politicians proclaim.

I would be willing to bet they would lose their next election.

It's all good and well as long as it's in someome elses city or state.
    Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Paperman View Post
    I imagine most residents of these cities do not favor, even resent, the sanctuary stance the politicians proclaim.
    Argumentum ad popularem.

Anyway, San Fransisco? No. Fuck no.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

San Fransico has plenty houses available in the million dollar range.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spite View Post
    Argumentum ad popularem.

Anyway, San Fransisco? No. Fuck no.
    its not an argumentum ad popularem....he is not saying it to 'prove' a point, he is saying the people would not support such a move by their public officials...and that is why the public officials who run the city will not risk political fall out from opening their doors....hence, his point about 'not in my backyard'....IOW...they bitch about AZ law, but will not open up their doors for fear the voters will turn on them

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post
    They may call themselves "sanctuary cities," but very few of them are offering sanctuary to the illegal immigrants in Arizona who now face possible arrest and deportation.

As San Francisco and other "sanctuary cities" declare war on Arizona over its new law cracking down on illegal immigrants, most state and local governments that provide a safe haven to undocumented workers refused to publicly roll out a welcome mat for the estimated 440,000 illegals in the Grand Canyon state.

Several mid-size cities and states with policies that seek to protect undocumented workers either declined to comment to FoxNews.com on whether it would accept Arizona's illegal immigrants or said the possibility had not been considered.

"We don't have any actions planned," said Jillian Schoene, a spokeswoman for Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski. "If I have a chance to take this up with the governor, I'll call you back."

Bill Begley, a spokesman for Mayor Mike Moncrief of Fort Worth, Texas, told FoxNews.com that he couldn't comment on whether the city, with its population of more than 700,000, would take in any of Arizona's illegal immigrants.

"We'd have to sit down about any overt offer that would address that issue," he said. "That's not something I can talk about off the top of my head."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ing-sanctuary/

Now, there's an idea.
    Instead of deporting the illegals to Mexico, we can just take them to California.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Now, there's an idea.
    Instead of deporting the illegals to Mexico, we can just take them to California.
    McCain to Obama. "If you don't like our bill, send troops to help us."

Obama, himself attempted to filibuster Justice Alito, who now sits on the Supreme Court.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Now, there's an idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuTu Monroe View Post
    Sorry; but it souinds like a good plan and I'm going to suggest it to the Governer.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.