Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ...Aliens Exist but Are Dangerous

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,186 Times in 25,721 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Default ...Aliens Exist but Are Dangerous

And today's tinfoil beanie goes to--- Stephen Hawking!

LONDON (April 25) -- British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking claims in a new documentary that intelligent alien lifeforms almost certainly exist, but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."
    The 68-year-old scientist says a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth would be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals - but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."

The Discovery Channel said Sunday it will broadcast "Stephen Hawking's Universe" in Britain next month.

http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/ar...exist/19453924

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

I have heard him speak on this before. (Is that 'technically' accurate?)

In any event, from what he was saying (at one point), the human species is like a bacteria, and the universe is like the human body. The 'intelligence' we have in 'exploring' the universe, is akin to bacteria present in the body, triggering antibodies, which destroy the bacteria. He cautions against programs like SETI, because they could 'trigger' a reaction from more advanced life in the universe, life we don't understand or comprehend any more than a bacteria understands antibodies.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

This story pissed off my roommate, who denounced Hawking as "barbaric." I think its fucking hilarious!! My only question is, why does everyone always assume that the intelligent aliens we come in contact with will be more advanced than us technologically? Suppose the UFOs and death rays are in our court?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T&A View Post
    This story pissed off my roommate, who denounced Hawking as "barbaric." I think its fucking hilarious!! My only question is, why does everyone always assume that the intelligent aliens we come in contact with will be more advanced than us technologically? Suppose the UFOs and death rays are in our court?
    And what Hawking is saying is, what if the universe has some kind of 'antibody' element we aren't aware of, a 'self-cleaning' process of dealing with undesirable 'virus' detected? Our sending signals out into space, looking for some other life form, could be very dangerous for our existence. We might be better served to remain 'quiet' and hope we aren't noticed.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    And what Hawking is saying is, what if the universe has some kind of 'antibody' element we aren't aware of, a 'self-cleaning' process of dealing with undesirable 'virus' detected? Our sending signals out into space, looking for some other life form, could be very dangerous for our existence. We might be better served to remain 'quiet' and hope we aren't noticed.
    They know we're here. Erich Von Daniken explained it years ago and the Sumerians tell of the Anunnaki and the planet Nibiru. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNKctJV07DE&feature=related[/ame]
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,667 Times in 7,364 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post

LONDON (April 25) -- British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking claims in a new documentary that intelligent alien lifeforms almost certainly exist, but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."
    The 68-year-old scientist says a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth would be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals - but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."

The Discovery Channel said Sunday it will broadcast "Stephen Hawking's Universe" in Britain next month.

Sounds like Hawking finally got around to watching Independence Day.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,667 Times in 7,364 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Well, as long as it isn't racist douchebags like you doing the shouting into the cosmos, I think the Earth will be okay.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    Well, as long as it isn't racist douchebags like you doing the shouting into the cosmos, I think the Earth will be okay.
    We know you're going to try and tell us that thing that crawled up your a$$, and took residency in your gut is an alien being, but prick, come on!

When's the due date for reals? You been hatching that thang about 9-10 mos since the surgery. You could officially name it Lambchop!
    Last edited by Canceled1; 04-28-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: personal

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post

Aliens are already here in the form of liberals.
    McCain to Obama. "If you don't like our bill, send troops to help us."

Obama, himself attempted to filibuster Justice Alito, who now sits on the Supreme Court.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TuTu Monroe View Post
    Aliens are already here in the form of liberals.
    Is THAT what Reagan was trying to tell us?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag44dRO8LEA[/ame]

11. #11 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    They know we're here. Erich Von Daniken explained it years ago and the Sumerians tell of the Anunnaki and the planet Nibiru.
    Except Von Daniken has been convicted of fraud before he ever wrote Chariot of the Gods. And many of the "facts" he used have been proven false. In fact, there are some that were proven false before he published his work.

Given a choice between believing Steven Hawking and Von Daniken, I'll believe Hawking.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Except Von Daniken has been convicted of fraud before he ever wrote Chariot of the Gods. And many of the "facts" he used have been proven false. In fact, there are some that were proven false before he published his work.

Given a choice between believing Steven Hawking and Von Daniken, I'll believe Hawking.
    So you don't think we've been discovered yet?

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T&A View Post
    why does everyone always assume that the intelligent aliens we come in contact with will be more advanced than us technologically?
    probably since, because we don't know how to get to them, the only way we're going to meet is if they know how to get to us.......

14. #14 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    So you don't think we've been discovered yet?
    I have no way of knowing. Von Daniken did raise some interesting points, but much of his work was unscientific.

I believe, if we have been discovered, we are viewed as a sort of galactic dumpster spilling garbage out around us. I cannot see any alien race being impressed with what they found here.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I have no way of knowing. Von Daniken did raise some interesting points, but much of his work was unscientific.

I believe, if we have been discovered, we are viewed as a sort of galactic dumpster spilling garbage out around us. I cannot see any alien race being impressed with what they found here.
    why do you assume they don't dump garbage.....perhaps they are visiting because they have ruined the ecology of their planet and need a new one....