Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belief

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Default Belief

We are all inherently born with the inclination to believe in something greater than self. This is clearly a distinct part of what makes us so unique among all other living creatures. Every single individual accomplishment and achievement as a species, is attributable to this inherent belief. It can take many various forms, some good and some not so good. But it is fundamentally what makes us what we are, and has brought us to this point of intellectual philosophical discussion.

For some, the thing they believe in is clear, Christians believe in the Bible, and believe it's the literal Word of God... Buddhists believe in Nirvana, and a sort of "inner-self" power. Agnostics are not sure what to believe in, and Atheists often claim they believe in nothing... Nihilists. The vast majority of us can define what we believe in, and at least acknowledge they do have this belief in something.

I am often thought of as Christian, because I have defended the Christian teachings of Christ. I am a Spiritualist, and what I have is not as much a belief as a profound knowledge and understanding of something greater than myself. I do believe in this profound knowledge I have, but it requires very little "faith" for me to maintain my belief. The Power (we'll call it God here) is ever-present in my life, and it has been a beneficial asset to me in ways that can't be measured in words. Trying to convince me it doesn't exist, would be the equivalent to me trying to convince you that your mother doesn't exist. It's just a silly superfluous argument that doesn't comport with reason in my mind.

So why is it, I would defend Christian teachings? The great thing about the God I believe in, it allows me to comprehend the nature of spirituality in humans, and not concern myself with the methods of others in embracing it. My God is not a human, so it has no human attributes or feelings. My God is emotional-less, and doesn't "care" about whether it is worshiped. My God is not there to met out punishment or judgment based on the dogma of man. However, the God I believe in has some requirements of me. I find that many of the teachings in Christianity are in harmony with what my God requires. Not fully or universally, and maybe not to the degree taught by Christians, but following the teachings of Christ is conducive with satisfying many of the requirements of my God.

Now you say, Dixie... if your God doesn't have feelings and emotions, how can it "require" something of you? Well... it's like a newspaper box! You see the newspaper front above the fold, you see the box... neither of them are demanding or requiring you to put your money in and buy the paper. You can choose whether to do it or not, it's entirely up to you. If you choose to put your money in, you gain a benefit, in my case, a blessing. So it's not a "requirement" for me to follow my conscience, it is my own free will. I have found great advantages to having the strength and power of my God in my corner, and that is my motivation for my beliefs.

Since I sort of 'plugged' Christianity above, let me add, this also includes a host of other spiritual beliefs. I think there is something to be gained in humanity from following the teachings of many major religions, not just Christianity. Is there a Heaven and Hell? I don't know! If there is, I believe they will both be full of souls from all religious beliefs, because my God doesn't discriminate.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Dixie smokes the ill shit, yo. For real.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

I think you are often thought of as a Christian because you have said repeatedly, "I am a Christian."

Just a guess.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride to make it easier. Let the childrens' laughter remind us how we used to be.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

tl;dr
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 90 Posts

There is on heaven there is no hell and no god of any type All of religion is mythology Fantasy none of it is real.Only science is real.
    Peace Love and Light Wanderingbear

http://www.hippieland.net

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cthulhu will enjoy your screams of pain.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Most newspapers suck. God is the shittiest newspaper. Awesome.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Most mammals and avian species take care of their young. That is a manifestation that other forms of life believe in something greater than self. If all they believed in was themselves, they wouldn't take care of their young. Proof, that calf-whales are god. Proof that a litter of chihuahua is god.

I don't worry about that shit because my belief system doesn't require me to care about whether or not other people subscribe to it. Subscribe or not, it doesn't affect my relationship with the universe. So you can wage your crusade all you want, but it just speaks to and becomes a party to the fact that your belief system requires others approval. Enjoy that. I couldn't give a shit.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Most mammals and avian species take care of their young. That is a manifestation that other forms of life believe in something greater than self. If all they believed in was themselves, they wouldn't take care of their young. Proof, that calf-whales are god. Proof that a litter of chihuahua is god.

I don't worry about that shit because my belief system doesn't require me to care about whether or not other people subscribe to it. Subscribe or not, it doesn't affect my relationship with the universe. So you can wage your crusade all you want, but it just speaks to and becomes a party to the fact that your belief system requires others approval. Enjoy that. I couldn't give a shit.
    My belief doesn't require you to do diddly-squat. I don't care if you believe in anything or not, that is entirely up to you. I didn't post this to "witness" and "win souls" for my God, it doesn't care what you do or what I do in that regard, it's all up to the individual.

I fail to see your point with the animals taking care of their young, they are born with instinctual nature to do this, it has nothing to do with how they feel personally or any sense of responsibility.

You are really quite a dumb ass sometimes, you know that?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    My belief doesn't require you to do diddly-squat. I don't care if you believe in anything or not, that is entirely up to you. I didn't post this to "witness" and "win souls" for my God, it doesn't care what you do or what I do in that regard, it's all up to the individual.

I fail to see your point with the animals taking care of their young, they are born with instinctual nature to do this, it has nothing to do with how they feel personally or any sense of responsibility.

You are really quite a dumb ass sometimes, you know that?
    Whatever Dix. With the shit you try to claim, I take that as a compliment.

You come on here and try to argue that since man's history has shown a belief in the mystical, that the mystical must exist. You're trying to equate the belief to the existence and get everyone to agree with that. In other words, yes, you care.

Stop being a silly kindergatener for the love of whatever god you're trying to shove down our throats.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Whatever Dix. With the shit you try to claim, I take that as a compliment.

You come on here and try to argue that since man's history has shown a belief in the mystical, that the mystical must exist. You're trying to equate the belief to the existence and get everyone to agree with that. In other words, yes, you care.

Stop being a silly kindergatener for the love of whatever god you're trying to shove down our throats.

There is nothing mystical about spiritual belief. I've not made an argument, just a statement. You are welcome to whatever opinion you wish to have, I can't change what you think. I don't really care one way or the other, but as someone who knows and understands the profound strength of spirituality, and realizing how much of a benefit this has been to me in my personal life, I did feel compelled to share my story with others.

In a sense, I do care about your personal well-being (call it humanity), I wish there was a way for me to break off a piece of what I know and understand, and let you sample it. If you ever did, you would forever be changed. But this is something you have to do, I have no control over that.

I do hope that one day, you can set aside whatever trauma caused you to sour on your own inherent nature to be spiritual, because only then can you find true happiness. It is sad that you are destined to go through life empty, not knowing what I know, never realizing what you are missing out on, but only you have the power to change that. The God I know, is not going to beg you to acknowledge it, you have to embrace it on your own.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    There is nothing mystical about spiritual belief. I've not made an argument, just a statement. You are welcome to whatever opinion you wish to have, I can't change what you think. I don't really care one way or the other, but as someone who knows and understands the profound strength of spirituality, and realizing how much of a benefit this has been to me in my personal life, I did feel compelled to share my story with others.

In a sense, I do care about your personal well-being (call it humanity), I wish there was a way for me to break off a piece of what I know and understand, and let you sample it. If you ever did, you would forever be changed. But this is something you have to do, I have no control over that.

I do hope that one day, you can set aside whatever trauma caused you to sour on your own inherent nature to be spiritual, because only then can you find true happiness. It is sad that you are destined to go through life empty, not knowing what I know, never realizing what you are missing out on, but only you have the power to change that. The God I know, is not going to beg you to acknowledge it, you have to embrace it on your own.
    Fair enough Dix, and I appreciate that sentiment. But I am spiritual, and I already have my own belief system, and I don't need yours, or anyone else's. That's my whole point.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fair enough Dix, and I appreciate that sentiment. But I am spiritual, and I already have my own belief system, and I don't need yours, or anyone else's. That's my whole point.