Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: When Does Life End?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    well that's an easy way to win an argument.....just claim it isn't true.....I don't accept your rejection.....case settled, no abortions after five weeks....next debate?....let me ask you this......what causes a heart to beat?.....
    You have not provided a source. I was supposed to discredit an unknown source? You simply made a claim. I can counter that easily with just another claim.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The source for 20 weeks... http://www.cirp.org/library/pain/anand/
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    I think it may be more illuminating to the abortion debate to consider when life ends than begins.

A person lacking brain activity is considered dead. There is no measurable brain activity until 20 weeks. How can human life have begun when it is legally dead?

Your premise is factually untrue. The life of the unborn is always developing. The brain dead are in no such state. The dead brain will not develope and or renew itself. The brain of the unborn is forming, growing and developing along a continuuum.

Further, growth of the entire fetus cannot happen if the brain was not active at some level. Brain death would prevent development of the fetus.
    Last edited by Canceled2; 02-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

What does brain activity have to do with the life or death of the body? Nothing?... Thats Right...
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

The exact moment of death is almost impossible to determine...scientifically....

The exact moment of life beginning is relatively easy to determine....it IS the moment the sperm and the egg join....from then on it is only a matter of growing, developing, and maturing until old age and death of the body....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dancer View Post
    Your premise is facually untrue. The life of the unborn is always developing. The brain dead are in no such state. The dead brain will not develope and or renew itself. The brain of the unborn is forming, growing and developing along a continuuum.
    What was factually untrue?

Further, growth of the entire fetus cannot happen if the brain was not active at some level. Brain death would prevent develoement of the fetus.
    Do you have a source for this. Are you arguing the brain is present at conception?

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    What does brain activity have to do with the life or death of the body? Nothing?... Thats Right...
    As was explained the lack of brain activity is sufficient to determine death. Are you arguing that the brain dead are alive and should be kept on life support?

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

And we do not protect the life of eggs or sperm. Are you suggesting we should?

I have no problem with what you are saying from a scientific perspective but we are talking about legal definitions which are based on philosophy. Unless you are arguing that sperm and egg should be protected you understand and accept the distinction.
    Actually we do protect eggs and sperm. If you were to steal a man's sperm or a woman's eggs, or injured the person so they could no longer make them, you would be prosecuted for a crime. Yet a woman who gets pregnant with a man's sperm can then turn around and kill the unborn baby, and the man has no legal recourse.

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As was explained the lack of brain activity is sufficient to determine death. Are you arguing that the brain dead are alive and should be kept on life support?
    Your premise is wrong. The brain is developing, therefore there is brain activity. Perhaps your argument involves cognizance.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Actually we do protect eggs and sperm. If you were to steal a man's sperm or a woman's eggs, or injured the person so they could no longer make them, you would be prosecuted for a crime. Yet a woman who gets pregnant with a man's sperm can then turn around and kill the unborn baby, and the man has no legal recourse.
    So abortion should be illegal because a man has a property right in his sperm?

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    most women don't know they are pregnant at SIX weeks......that is the point at which the first signals from the developing brain can be identified.....

Embryo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    of my three children, the first two were detected within the first trimester, my wife has had 2 children, she knew she was pregnant with her first child at 6 weeks and her second within 7 weeks of conception. funny how 4 of my five children and step children were detected within 12 weeks of conception. ALSO, 61.3% of all abortions are performed at less than 9 weeks of conception. [1] so your statement that there would be no abortions within the first 20 weeks is really ill informed. In fact that same link shows that a total of 1.1% of ALL abortions are performed AFTER 1%.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Your premise is factually untrue. The life of the unborn is always developing. The brain dead are in no such state. The dead brain will not develope and or renew itself. The brain of the unborn is forming, growing and developing along a continuuum.

Further, growth of the entire fetus cannot happen if the brain was not active at some level. Brain death would prevent development of the fetus.
    God you pro-choicers are so dumb, first tell us that you cannot know you are pregnant for 20 weeks, and now that a brain dead fetus cannot develop. Ever heard of Anacephaly (sp)? Children born with only the brain stem, no functioning brain at all? What other made up shit will you tell us?

PS almost every person considered brain dead still has brain stem activity. Brain Death is ONLY measured from the brain itself and not the stem.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So abortion should be illegal because a man has a property right in his sperm?
    Shouldn't the owner of half of the property have the same rights as the other?

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Your premise is wrong. The brain is developing, therefore there is brain activity. Perhaps your argument involves cognizance.
    Again, it MAY be developing. And that does not start until 5 weeks after conception.

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Let's test it. I'll strangle Watermark and he can tell us when he dies. <- This is the just kidding emoticon for those people who are going to take offense and pretend they believe I'd really do that.
    You're right, you wouldn't. You'd have me choke him instead.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com