Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's something that tastes really good but is healthy?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default What's something that tastes really good but is healthy?

I made a chicken wrap today, with parmesan, ranch dressing, peperoncini, onion, and mixed greens. It tasted awesome. The only thing unhealthy in it was likely the ranch dressing... But I'm suspicious because my rule of thumb is that if it tastes awesome, it's not healthy.

So what is something you guys make/eat that tastes REALLY good (not just good enough) that is actually healthy? O_o

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

White Russians

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

No seriously crawfish ettouffee

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Fruit.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,611 Times in 7,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,966 Times in 1,782 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ISO View Post
    I made a chicken wrap today, with parmesan, ranch dressing, peperoncini, onion, and mixed greens. It tasted awesome. The only thing unhealthy in it was likely the ranch dressing... But I'm suspicious because my rule of thumb is that if it tastes awesome, it's not healthy.

So what is something you guys make/eat that tastes REALLY good (not just good enough) that is actually healthy? O_o

A nicely prepared piece of fish...my personal preference is Salmon.
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    A nicely prepared piece of fish...my personal preference is Salmon.
    Don't forget Frank's sage advice.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmVvgo1wxh4"]YouTube- Frank Zappa - Don't Eat That Yellow Snow[/ame]

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Apparently, arugula tastes good.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Apparently, arugula tastes good.
    We call it Rocket over here and yes I agree that it is surprisingly tasty.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah but its like $10,000 per pound when you figure the cost of the secret service and shutting down a portion of the City.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

A bowl with whole beans (any kind) poached chicken meat (cooked in liquid slowly on stove top or baked in oven) add some rice, cilantro, lettuce, fresh salsa, shredded cheese, avacado and olives...Simply layer starting with hot foods on the bottom. Make portions according to appetite.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    No seriously crawfish ettouffee
    I make this all the time. The family loves it.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I cook my son a three egg plain omelet every morning followed up with three slices of bacon.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

What do you mean healthy? Do you mean low in calories? If so, just eat less of whatever your eating.

If you mean high in vitamins, then that is good. Though if you mean high in vitamins and low in calories, scratch the ranch dressing.

And actually, a hamburger is a pretty balanced meal as well.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

don't be afraid to use some dressing...better a healthy wrap with a some dressing than chowing on pizza. fat is good is you. balance carbs and protein. good, i mean spend a little extra, olive oil is very, very good and the fat, which suppresses fat binges, is very good for you.

avocado, i can't stress enough how good this fruit is. brocoli, cauliflower...and if you can get used it (steam it), kale - power food right there. i sometimes do protein shakes, but only if i regularly get my ass to the gym and lifting weights, but if you want, can use a small shake as a snack.

i like fish sauteed in olive oil, chicken quick sautee and into oven. and don't worry about eating some really fatty foods a couple of times a week, if you deprive yourself, you will binge, i've done it.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    don't be afraid to use some dressing...better a healthy wrap with a some dressing than chowing on pizza. fat is good is you. balance carbs and protein. good, i mean spend a little extra, olive oil is very, very good and the fat, which suppresses fat binges, is very good for you.
    All sources of calories are pretty much equal. Protein generally keeps you full longer, though.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34