Thread: Fed entity Condems the voting Machines Unsecurable

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Security of electronic voting is condemned

Security of electronic voting is condemned
    Paper systems should be included, agency says

Paperless electronic voting machines used throughout the Washington region and much of the country "cannot be made secure," according to draft recommendations issued this week by a federal agency that advises the U.S. Election Assistance Commission.

The assessment by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, one of the government's premier research centers, is the most sweeping condemnation of such voting systems by a federal agency.

In a report hailed by critics of electronic voting, NIST said that voting systems should allow election officials to recount ballots independently from a voting machine's software. The recommendations endorse "optical-scan" systems in which voters mark paper ballots that are read by a computer and electronic systems that print a paper summary of each ballot, which voters review and elections officials save for recounts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15976613

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I endorse optical scan equipment as well, less breakdown, easy to read, easy to understand, and recountable....

I've pretty much said so from the begginning of this inane "electronic" fad...

We do have a machine for electronic voting, it does provide a permanent paper record that is kept... we do not, however, stress its use and the vast majority of people prefer to use the Optecs...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You know from all the con on this subject in the past, I was really suprised to find that the folks at National Institute of Standards and Technology, wear tinfoil hats

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Fed entity Condems the voting Machines Unsecurable

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah, we already have a thread on this. I'll merge this into that thread...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry I looked and didnt see it

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not a problem. I wasn't condemning...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wonder how much taxpayer money has been wasted in the rush to move to the bleeding edge tech voting machines ? Well bleeding edge for polling machines anyway