Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $24,000 per vehicle? The Taxpayers Have Been Robbed for minimal gain...

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    There's not really an application of calculus here.
    So, it was just a failed attempt to claim an expertise that was not in evidence then?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

post 30...damo same time

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    So, it was just a failed attempt to claim an expertise that was not in evidence then?
    In math?
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I find it a little difficult to believe that a math major doesn't know what a remainder is properly. Thunderwood college explains it nicely.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I find it a little difficult to believe that a math major doesn't know what a remainder is properly. Thunderwood college explains it nicely.
    I find it difficult to believe that some college kid didn't realize what I had stated, even with my poor sentence structure, and very easy to believe that the same tries to use a perceived minute fault to again distract from the topic of the thread.

No matter how you try to spin this (definitely need to watch my sentence structure better), the analysis was done correctly for the reasons I have given in the thread, the numbers are meaningful, as I have explained.

We were gypped. We spent too much money for too little benefit.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Watermark needs to spend less time posting shit and hunt for college pussy.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

I find it difficult to believe that some college kid didn't realize what I had stated, even with my poor sentence structure, and very easy to believe that the same tries to use a perceived minute fault to again distract from the topic of the thread.

No matter how you try to spin this (definitely need to watch my sentence structure better), the analysis was done correctly for the reasons I have given in the thread, the numbers are meaningful, as I have explained.

We were gypped. We spent too much money for too little benefit.

"Gypped?" Why the hate? What have the gypsies ever done to you for you to denigrate them is such a manner?

As for the substance, I'd have to take a look at the report (not a press release) to assess how they determined which sales would have happened anyway before denouncing the program, which lots and lots of people have lauded as a success, a failure.

And, for the record, what is your position on the home-buyer tax credit?

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
    "Gypped?" Why the hate? What have the gypsies ever done to you for you to denigrate them is such a manner?

As for the substance, I'd have to take a look at the report (not a press release) to assess how they determined which sales would have happened anyway before denouncing the program, which lots and lots of people have lauded as a success, a failure.

And, for the record, what is your position on the home-buyer tax credit?
    I don't know my position on home credits yet, it is possible that it gave enough benefit to be worth the cost. In this case, I know my position, that the cost wasn't worth the minute benefit.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't know my position on home credits yet, it is possible that it gave enough benefit to be worth the cost. In this case, I know my position, that the cost wasn't worth the minute benefit.

Why do you put so much stock in a report you haven't even seen? I don't get it.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why do you put so much stock in a report you haven't even seen? I don't get it.
    Edmunds is a very reliable source.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Edmunds is a very reliable source.

That's rich coming from you. Aren't you the guy that claims that it is inappropriate to dismiss what someone says based on their past record of being completely off the reservation? Shouldn't the same apply to people you are inclined to agree with? I mean, simply because Edmunds was reliable in the past doesn't mean this particular assessment is reliable does it?

The way I see it, Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book are putting out divergent assessments of the Cash for Clunkers program in an effort to each gain media attention. Now, that doesn't mean that one is right and the other wrong, but where you have a report that makes certain assumptions about what would have happened in the absence of the Cash for Clunkers program, it seems quite important to understand where the baseline figures come from. Without seeing how they determined the baseline figures, I'd be skeptical of putting much stock in the report.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

For anyone who says I suck at math... come back when you do vector calculus. Then I know I'll be talking to someone who's almost on my level. Talking about basic arithmetic with damo is below me.
    Hmmm. I recall you backing Dixie on the 1/3 thread for awhile.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's rich coming from you. Aren't you the guy that claims that it is inappropriate to dismiss what someone says based on their past record of being completely off the reservation? Shouldn't the same apply to people you are inclined to agree with? I mean, simply because Edmunds was reliable in the past doesn't mean this particular assessment is reliable does it?

The way I see it, Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book are putting out divergent assessments of the Cash for Clunkers program in an effort to each gain media attention. Now, that doesn't mean that one is right and the other wrong, but where you have a report that makes certain assumptions about what would have happened in the absence of the Cash for Clunkers program, it seems quite important to understand where the baseline figures come from. Without seeing how they determined the baseline figures, I'd be skeptical of putting much stock in the report.
    Silliness. You aren't showing that you are very good at thinking, first read what was written then dismiss the information, don't simply dismiss because you dislike somebody. I don't reject any article because it comes from huffpost. I read and speak to the information in the article.

That particular statement doesn't change that Edmunds is reliable, it is the standard for the auto industry. When you go to trade in your car, they are what the dealership is using when negotiating...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    But hey! A math class he is in that totally doesn't apply to this analysis proves he is capable of doing that other form of math that doesn't apply!
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    he did, i thought watermark was always against dixie in that thread....