Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Free Market for Health Care Works

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,225 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 343 Times in 329 Posts

Default The Free Market for Health Care Works

There is one field of health care where demand has exploded and prices have been relatively steady. Cosmetic surgery.

Why is that? It should be amusing to hear some of the ridiculous reasons the lefties will give but the true reason is obvious. Cosmetic surgery functions like a real market while health care does not. With cosmetic surgery the consumer/patient knows the price and shops accordingly.
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    There is one field of health care where demand has exploded and prices have been relatively steady. Cosmetic surgery.

Why is that? It should be amusing to hear some of the ridiculous reasons the lefties will give but the true reason is obvious. Cosmetic surgery functions like a real market while health care does not. With cosmetic surgery the consumer/patient knows the price and shops accordingly.
    .......and what insurance company bureaucrat is there to determine if a procedure is necessary and who will pay? What ream of papers will the Doctor be required to fill out to satisfy the requirements of a United Health, Aetna, or Blue Cross? Also, when was the last time you heard of an emergency room boob job or face lift?
    I presume from your last sentence that you would agree with me that the insurance company component is a superfluous obstacle to efficient healthcare. Finally, are you trying to suggest that cosmetic surgery is now in a price range that all can afford?
    Last edited by belme1201; 10-07-2009 at 09:02 PM.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

blowme1201:

I presume from your last sentence that you would agree with me that the insurance company component is a superfluous obstacle to efficient healthcare.

LOL so why are you supporting mandating everyone have it?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by belme1201 View Post
    .......and what insurance company bureaucrat is there to determine if a procedure is necessary and who will pay? What ream of papers will the Doctor be required to fill out to satisfy the requirements of a United Health, Aetna, or Blue Cross? Also, when was the last time you heard of an emergency room boob job or face lift?
    I presume from your last sentence that you would agree with me that the insurance company component is a superfluous obstacle to efficient healthcare.
    Of course, insurance is a big part of the problem. But who foisted that on us?
    Leviticus 19:33 And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not do him wrong. 34 The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the homeborn among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course, insurance is a big part of the problem. But who foisted that on us?

Damned if I know, but nothing's permanent.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    blowme1201:

LOL so why are you supporting mandating everyone have it?
    Not from insurance companies.
    Get back in your room and do your homework!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

The true reason is cosmetic clinics have to attract customers.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "Hey, the local hospital has a special on by-pass surgery. I always wanted one of those."

Maybe ambulances should carry brochures from different hospitals. While a person is experiencing cardiac arrest the technician can be reading the amenities each hospital offers.

Hospital "A" is more expensive but it's closer to public transportation so one usually receives more visitors. On the other hand hospital "B" does have a lush garden with tropical fish so that tends to attract visitors.

Mr. Smith? Mr. Smith? Which hospital would you prefer?......Damn, he died before choosing. Now where do we take him?
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep market driven healthcare works for the healthcare industry. We will all be paying 3 out of every 5 dollars for healthcare within 10 years.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Sheesh, I'm having a heart attack. I think I'm going to go on Angie's list and figure out what doctor best specializes in this..."

"St. Mary's - the BEST prices on stints!"
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Free markets in healthcare is contradictory to the laws of common sense, basic morality, and economics.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Try and get a price quote for a medical procedure before getting it done.

Other than cosmetic as previously stated.

For free market to work, consumers need to have information to make an informed decision on.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Try again. I am not arguing that one should shop emergencies, but it could easily be handled with something similar to road side assistance plans.

Also, emergency care is 3% of total health care costs. It does not explain the rapid increases in non-emergency care.

Try and get a price quote for a medical procedure before getting it done.

Other than cosmetic as previously stated.
    Uhh yeah. That's what I'm saying. Why do you think that is? Because the provider does not need to offer a selling price to the patient. The patient does not care what the cost is. The provider only needs to know how much they can bill the insurer.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Really? Now please explain to me, How will you shop around when you have a large cell carcinoma? How will you shop around when you have a pnuemothorax? How will you shop around when you happen to be in anaphelectic shock? Please explain this to me? Please explain to me the wonders of the free market when you have a ectopic pregnancy?

In reality your marginalizing those who disagree with your free market ideogology as "Leftist" to cover your ignorance on how health care treatment works.

Health Care has not nor ever been a free market economy. Why do you think most hospitals are publicly funded?
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 10-08-2009 at 07:27 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Try again. I am not arguing that one should shop emergencies, but it could easily be handled with something similar to road side assistance plans.

Also, emergency care is 3% of total health care costs. It does not explain the rapid increases in non-emergency care.

Uhh yeah. That's what I'm saying. Why do you think that is? Because the provider does not need to offer a selling price to the patient. The patient does not care what the cost is. The provider only needs to know how much they can bill the insurer.
    That may work for you but to be honest with you, I'd rather let the Doctor's and Nurses and Medical Technologist work that out. I have a sneaky suspician they'd do a better job then the wizards of wall street.

The function of the free market is to maximize profits for business. That's not exactly the goal of health care.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    The true reason is cosmetic clinics have to attract customers.
    As do other doctors/providers. If they did not then they would have no reason for television ads, ads in the Yellow Pages or even a sign on their offices. They just don't attract customers based upon price because the customer/patient does not care about price.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "Hey, the local hospital has a special on by-pass surgery. I always wanted one of those."
    I have seen commercials for heart care (older fellow riding a bicycle and has a new lease on life sorta message).

Mr. Smith? Mr. Smith? Which hospital would you prefer?......Damn, he died before choosing. Now where do we take him?
    I addressed emergency care previously, but...

If he has prearranged for services with a mortician you will take him to where ever that is. Why is it so hard to imagine doing something similar in emergency health care cases?

You guys are attempting to focus on extremes which are a very small part of the overall health care cost. You are missing the forest for the trees.